Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

Can you blame anyone for having these thoughts though? The kids quotes in the syracuse.com article were a bit harsh to the program. It would be surprising to me if a. He didnt say those things and b. He intends on reclassifying but said those things regardless. I understand kids change their minds but those were some fairly harsh things to say.
Not really.

It is going to be REALLY interesting to see how things shake out with Ayala from this point on. Isn't this the weekend of the AAU tournament he wanted to participate in, which he wouldn't have been eligible to play in if he reclassified to the class of 2017?

With this out of the way, we should see dominoes topple swiftly. One way or the other.

I'm not that worried about the Zags report based upon what Dasher has stated. But if this lingers beyond a week, my opinion will change.
Yep. Like a few have said in this thread, this next week is big for Ayala. The AAU tournament ends this weekend, so if that's infact what he was waiting for, hopefully we'll get good news by the end of the week. The longer we go without hearing anything, the more likely it is he stays in 2018

Yep. Like a few have said in this thread, this next week is big for Ayala. The AAU tournament ends this weekend, so if that's infact what he was waiting for, hopefully we'll get good news by the end of the week. The longer we go without hearing anything, the more likely it is he stays in 2018

I think only time is going to tell, i don't know dasher personally but i believe in what he says, without a formal announcement from EA we cant rule anything out. I havent posted that much on here but I've been reading everything for the past few years and i think the fact people don't believe in the staff or their desire to win is absurd and laughable. I don't like seeing people on here saying the staff should do more or that we should stop recruiting him based on a report from a blogger who might or might not know what is going on. I personally think a fire has been lit under JB and he knows this next go around is going to be his last and i think he is going to do everything in his power to make sure we have a team with the best chance of winning a title. If anyone knows anything about JB its that he is very competitive and hates to lose so i cant see him going out like this, what would tell you that he would be ok with retiring as a middle of the pack ACC team not making noise on the national scene? He wants to go out a champion and you can already tell he is more focused on recruiting than he has been the past year or so. Im willing to put my trust in the man that has led us the past 40 years and i see no reason why everyone else shouldn't either.

Just out of curiosity... if the thinking is that Ayala is just waiting to formally commit until after this AAU tournament, why would he commit after this weekend and not wait until early June after the whole Under Armour circuit is complete? Or if he doesn't want to wait that long, at least wait another week until after the second session?

Is it just because this first session was in NYC or something?

He still hasn't retweeted or liked any of the tweets that say he's staying in 2018. He did RT and like a post from Francis, though.
Which had nothing to do with the class he would be in.
Francis was giving him love for his performance.
We all want this kid next year but all have no clue and it's more probable than not based on the latest info he is staying in 2018.
Dasher has good info but even he would say it's not always right.
He would be one of the people to follow though.

Last edited:
Like I've said these kids have to look out for themselves and if he's going to blow up and get offered by the perennial powers next year which is more likely then not then his camp is probably urging him to stay in 2018, I do think he really likes Syracuse and the staff has pushed their best but we aren't in the same position we were just a few short years ago. If he comes to Cuse this season and looks average then you have to look at the 2-4 years he could be there and it's highly probable Battle is 2 and done so you're losing him/who knows with TT, if he breaks out and improves his frame the NBA will love his upside as well and it's pretty evident this staff has lost a lot of momentum on the trail. I just look at it as if he were my kid, the Cuse basketball scene is great and I think most recruits realize that but this has to come down to a business decision for kids with next level ambitions and there are a lot of question marks with basically everything regarding Syracuse.

Like I've said these kids have to look out for themselves and if he's going to blow up and get offered by the perennial powers next year which is more likely then not then his camp is probably urging him to stay in 2018, I do think he really likes Syracuse and the staff has pushed their best but we aren't in the same position we were just a few short years ago. If he comes to Cuse this season and looks average then you have to look at the 2-4 years he could be there and it's highly probable Battle is 2 and done so you're losing him/who knows with TT, if he breaks out and improves his frame the NBA will love his upside as well and it's pretty evident this staff has lost a lot of momentum on the trail. I just look at it as if he were my kid, the Cuse basketball scene is great and I think most recruits realize that but this has to come down to a business decision for kids with next level ambitions and there are a lot of question marks with basically everything regarding Syracuse.
Everything except for getting guards / wings to the first round of the draft consistently...

Which would seem to be the most important thing when it comes to next level ambitions.

This is another classic example of someone stating something they believe to be true but do not know.

Belief is something you've been told to be true whether it's about a recruit, something taught in school, or something we learned as a result of societal or cultural conditioning.

Knowledge is when you KNOW something is true because you experienced it first hand, did the research yourself, or in this case, spoke with Ayala yourself.

Anything else is conjecture. For example, doctors used to recommend smoking to improve one's health. Many people 'believed ' this was true because they gave doctors credibility. Now we don't believe that anymore, any more than we believe the world was flat.

If YOU were not there YOU don't know anything. You are speculating like the rest of us.

I wish people would stop posting speculation and opinion and pawn it off as the truth. I don't mean to single you out Doc, it's just you have such a perfect example of what goes on regularly on this board. Let's have logical, cordial dialogue without attachment to right or wrong. We all want the same thing, a successful Syracuse basketball program.

No offense taken, but this is not more 'conjecture' than thinking he will reclass - he went to the press and said he will not reclass - period - and gave very strong reasons why he is not sure about Syracuse now - ouch. But no need to play semantics on a sports message board. Again, not to single you out, but when he doesn't reclass, just remember how much energy was expended on a message board for a kid who made it very clear to a reporter Syracuse is one of 6 schools in the mix for him, for 2018. Do I hope I am wrong? Sure, but I'd place my bets on taking him for his word.

Last edited:
he made that very clear to who? Our coaches? Or to some reporter. I'll wait on that before I will believe that.

He made it very clear to the press. If I was a betting man...

He made it very clear to the press.
No, he did not. He allegedly told one guy with a corny sounding blog. As for the interview on syracuse.com, you're using confirmation bias. A number of ways to read into his answers.

Which had nothing to do with the class he would be in.
Francis was giving him love for his performance.
We all want this kid next year but all have no clue and it's more probable than not based on the latest info he is staying in 2018.
Dasher has good info but even he would say it's not always right.
He would be one of the people to follow though.
He retweets info about himself. That's the point.

He also made it very clear to our coaches what he wanted to do. And that included playing in a tournament that he couldn't play in if he re classified. We shall see.

can he play in the tourney and then reclassify, or does playing somehow kill any chance of him going 17?

He also made it very clear to our coaches what he wanted to do. And that included playing in a tournament that he couldn't play in if he re classified. We shall see.

Agreed -- but what came out on Thursday was a bummer. I just hope fans here don't lose sleep over this one for 2017 in case he (real possibility) does not come aboard this year.

No offense taken, but this is not more 'conjecture' than thinking he will reclass - he went to the press and said he will not reclass - period - and gave very strong reasons why he is not sure about Syracuse now - ouch. But no need to play semantics on a sports message board. Again, not to single you out, but when he doesn't reclass, just remember how much energy was expended on a message board for a kid who made it very clear to a reporter Syracuse is one of 6 schools in the mix for him, for 2018. Do I hope I am wrong? Sure, but I'd place my bets on taking him for his word.

I don't think you are understanding me. Did YOU hear or see him talk to the reporter? If not it is conjecture. You are taking the word of a reporter. The media does not always say the truth, and often misquotes.

If you want to write a reporter stated Ayala said he will not reclassify, fine.

But you wrote, "he went to the press and said he will not reclassify "

That's NOT semantics. The two statements mean entirely different things. The first statement can be verified. The second cannot.

Last edited:
The former. Reclassifying would have killed any chance of him playing in the tourney.

I'm not completely convinced of that. My kids played aau and it seemed like it was more about age. Ayala plays on the WE R1 17u team. That teams roster has players that are mostly 2018 but it has one 2019 kid playing up and a 2017 kid who's received several low-mid D1 offers and is considering a year of prep after graduating this June.

Maybe Francis can clarify.

I don't think you are understanding me. Did YOU hear or see him talk to the reporter? If not it is conjecture. You are taking the word of a reporter. The media does not always say the truth, and often misquotes.

If you want to write a reporter stated Ayala said he will not reclassify, fine.

But you wrote, "he went to the press and said he will not reclassify "

That's NOT semantics. The two statements mean entirely different things. The first statement can be verified. The second cannot.
Yeah, it could have gone down like this...

ZAGORIA: Hey, Eric, Adam Zagoria here with the Zags Blog.

AYALA: Uh, yeah, how's it going, man?

-FAST FORWARD THROUGH INTRODUCTIONS AND SMALL TALK-

ZAGORIA: So listen, Eric, can I ask if you're planning on reclassifying for 2017?

AYALA: Nah.

ZAGORIA: Oh, really? Well, it was great talking to you and good luck this weekend!

-----

So that question can be interpreted a few ways. Did Eric tell him he wasn't classifying or did he tell him it wasn't cool to ask? That's just one example of how the conversation might have taken place. Maybe Zagoria bumped into Ayala and quickly asked about reclassifying, and Ayala said no because he didn't know who the hell was asking. Or maybe he thought Zags Blog had something to do with Gonzaga and figured they were trying to get info about Oregon. Who knows? People can think the worst or they can wait and see. You have nothing to lose with the latter. I trust dasher, even if his source during the election was wrong. ;)

I'm not completely convinced of that. My kids played aau and it seemed like it was more about age. Ayala plays on the WE R1 17u team. That teams roster has players that are mostly 2018 but it has one 2019 kid playing up and a 2017 kid who's received several low-mid D1 offers and is considering a year of prep after graduating this June.

Maybe Francis can clarify.
I KNOW that he thought that he couldn't reclassify and play. He might have been wrong. Who knows?

What we know:

He told Zags he wasn't 2017
He's told staff or somebody with connection to Cuse that he's coming.
There are teams we didn't know who now have 2018 in him.
He's stated some things about the program that recruits usually wouldn't say about a program they're dying to play for.

The two positives about this are that very recently he's said he was coming, what is concerning is Quade I believe said the same thing pretty much. Makes me question a the staffs BS radar if EA doesn't come. Other positive is we're listed as one of the schools looking at him still, but there is some solid competition were going up against and this staff needs to show they can beat these other teams out.

The negatives are very concerning. We have obvious playing time for the kid. Battle will play a lot but still needs rest and point guard has a ton of minutes up for grabs and he is leaving so much up in the air with committing.

I can't see Arizona and the other schools listed wasting their time with him if he is really wearing orange in 17.

The talking about the negatives of our program is usually not something you hear from a guy coming in. Doesn't seem right nor anything I've seen before.

I have zero inside knowledge nor any idea what's going on with the kid outside of what I've seen posted here, but being a betting man I'd probably bet big that he isn't going to be in an orange uniform this coming season.

What we know:

He told Zags he wasn't 2017
He's told staff or somebody with connection to Cuse that he's coming.
There are teams we didn't know who now have 2018 in him.
He's stated some things about the program that recruits usually wouldn't say about a program they're dying to play for.

The two positives about this are that very recently he's said he was coming, what is concerning is Quade I believe said the same thing pretty much. Makes me question a the staffs BS radar if EA doesn't come. Other positive is we're listed as one of the schools looking at him still, but there is some solid competition were going up against and this staff needs to show they can beat these other teams out.

The negatives are very concerning. We have obvious playing time for the kid. Battle will play a lot but still needs rest and point guard has a ton of minutes up for grabs and he is leaving so much up in the air with committing.

I can't see Arizona and the other schools listed wasting their time with him if he is really wearing orange in 17.

The talking about the negatives of our program is usually not something you hear from a guy coming in. Doesn't seem right nor anything I've seen before.

I have zero inside knowledge nor any idea what's going on with the kid outside of what I've seen posted here, but being a betting man I'd probably bet big that he isn't going to be in an orange uniform this coming season.
If he doesn't come this year, than we should immediately move on. It would make no sense to keep recruiting the kid. How could you ever believe him again?

I've heard on here that we should know something by the end of the week.

If it goes past next weekend and there's no announcement , we should really start with plan F, G, H and I.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom