Class of 2020 - SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jackson is literally one of the best pure shooters in the country and JG3 outplayed just about everyone’s expectations as a freshman, he was deservedly handed the keys. Get out of here
Can we stop with this Jackson stuff. This was the post I saw today and was scrambling around to see if we added another transfer or recruit m

His defense was also the worst on the team, in most of the ACC and in the country. He was 1 dimensional for a good portion of the season and did not start successfully driving to the basket with that little jumper until later in the season. Look, we were not good last year, and our backcourt defense and center position were the sole reason for that. Basketball is more than just making shots. I want someone with an all-around game, not just someone who can jack up 3's and then disappear.
Buddy is a better player by a large margin over the guys that didn't play. Should he play 40 minutes? No. should the guys that didn't play have played a lot more? No. Goodine wasn't very good when he played. Washington just isn't talented enough. Carey, I don't really know what his problem is. As far as what a lot of fans think according to you...who cares? Most have never picked a ball up.

LOL. Yeah, because the coaches have no other ways to “evaluate”who should be starting beyond what the fans see on TV. They don’t see these guys everyday in practice for 5 months or anything. That Europe trip and those exhibition games and early season games didn’t happen either.
Preferential treatment was given without a doubt. Buddy should not have been playing 35-40 mins a game. There was no reason Hughes couldn't have slid into the guard spot, or Goodine couldn't have seen the floor more. He played good defense and showed sparks in the limited action. Of course he made mistakes, but you don't think the 3 turnovers on 1 play down the court against Miami wasn't someone making mistakes? Buddy and Girard took countless bad shots, and neither played defense. I'm beating a dead horse here, as most fans locally saw this. I love Cuse basketball, but I am a realist and can see the flaws that were...we were not good for a reason.

Buddy shot over 40% from the 3 against three decent teams this season, he's not an ACC starter.
Wrong on the %, and he brought not much else to the table. He did not play good defense, he did not pass the ball well, and he did not drive to the hoop efficiently...all things expected from a shooting guard. Basketball isn't all about shooting ya know, and Cuse basketball was bad for a reason.

Last edited:
Joe Girard
33.0m 15.1p 3.7r 4.3a 1.8s 0.1b = +25.0 8.7mfg 0.4mft 2.3to 2.8pf = -13.2 = 11.8NP 6.0OE 5.8FG

Howard Washington
7.4m 6.2p 4.6r 6.5a 2.2s 0.0b = +19.5 5.1mfg 0.0mft 3.0to 0.8pf = -8.9 = 10.6NP 1.1OE 9.5FG

Buddy Boeheim
35.6m 17.2p 2.1r 2.4a 1.2s 0.2b = +23.1 9.0mfg 0.6mft 1.6to 1.9pf -13.1 = 10.0NP 7.6OE 2.4FG

Brycen Goodine
6.9m 8.8p 4.8r 3.2a 2.2s 0.4b = +19.4 7.0mfg 0.6mft 3.4to 3.4pf 14.4- = 5.0NP 1.2OE 3.8FG

Jalen Carey
11.5m 5.2p 10.4r 1.7a 1.7s 0.0b = +19.4 12.2mfg 5.2mft 5.2to 1.7pf 24.3- = -5.3NP -12.2OE 6.9FG

Staitstically, Joe Girard and Howard Washington were our two best guards but both were point guards and Howard couldn't shoot so it was Joe and Buddy out there. Now, the stats certainly favor offense over defense but the gap between them and Goodine and Carey was huge. it's true and Goodine and Carey didn't play as much but you've got to show the coach what you can do when you are out there. And Carey lost his job first, then decided to have the operation. he'd been give the starting role with the injury. He played his way out of the position and Goodine was terrible as well, so we went to Joe and he had a fine season for a freshman point guard.

Now Washington, Goodine and Carey are all gone, replaced by Griffin and Richmond. Joe and Buddy will have to win their positions again. Alan and Kadary will have to perform well in practice and when they are in there to supplant them. That's how it works, folks.

Preferential treatment was given without a doubt. Buddy should not have been playing 35-40 mins a game. There was no reason Hughes couldn't have slid into the guard spot, or Goodine couldn't have seen the floor more. He played good defense and showed sparks in the limited action. Of course he made mistakes, but you don't think the 3 turnovers on 1 play down the court against Miami wasn't someone making mistakes? Buddy and Girard took countless bad shots, and neither played defense. I'm beating a dead horse here, as most fans locally saw this. I love Cuse basketball, but I am a realist and can see the flaws that were...we were not good for a reason.

We weren’t good because we didn’t have enough good players... our bench sucked.

As for “Hughes at the 2”...Perhaps the coaches didn’t like Quincy/Marek on the court together at the forward spots offensively? Which would explain why they went out and got a transfer SF that can shoot. Hopefully in time Quincy will expand his game, but he was not a good perimeter player at all last year.

Buddy shot over 40% from the 3 against three decent teams this season, he's not an ACC starter.
Okay and he had a higher EFG% than our best player in conference play and overall. We can find stats to try to prove points all day

Buddy is a better player by a large margin over the guys that didn't play. Should he play 40 minutes? No. should the guys that didn't play have played a lot more? No. Goodine wasn't very good when he played. Washington just isn't talented enough. Carey, I don't really know what his problem is. As far as what a lot of fans think according to you...who cares? Most have never picked a ball up.
I agree he may have been the better option than what we had, but he shouldn't have been, and there was no reason Hughes couldn't have played guard for a few mins and Goodine couldn't have played more. Washington was not talented enough, correct. I do care, because I love playing basketball, and I love Syracuse Basketball...things have been pretty grim for the last few years though, and it's concerning.

I'm happy about this Griffin pickup, and I like the new kids coming in like Kadary, Woody and hopefully Tape. I just hope the bench plays more, and Girard, Buddy and Guerrier work on their games.

We weren’t good because we didn’t have enough good players... our bench sucked.

As for “Hughes at the 2”...Perhaps the coaches didn’t like Quincy/Marek on the court together at the forward spots offensively? Which would explain why they went out and got a transfer SF that can shoot. Hopefully in time Quincy will expand his game, but he was not a good perimeter player at all last year.
You are correct, we didn't have enough good players, but players shouldn't have been playing 40 mins. I am beating a dead horse, and I don't like bludgeoning things lol.

People who say Hughes at the 2 and have Marek and Q are nuts. yeah lets put Hughes out there with one person who can score from deep and watch him get plastered

I agree he may have been the better option than what we had, but he shouldn't have been, and there was no reason Hughes couldn't have played guard for a few mins and Goodine couldn't have played more. Washington was not talented enough, correct. I do care, because I love playing basketball, and I love Syracuse Basketball...things have been pretty grim for the last few years though, and it's concerning.

I'm happy about this Griffin pickup, and I like the new kids coming in like Kadary, Woody and hopefully Tape. I just hope the bench plays more, and Girard, Buddy and Guerrier work on their games.
who plays 3 if hughes slides to 2? dont say Q and Marek cause that is a struggle bus offense if ive seen one

I don't have a dog in this fight (until this post), but seems like you are trying to be provoke people with all the BB and JG comments.

I'm really not trying to provoke at all. I made one comment, and they all came at me like a pack of lions. I defended each post with grace and am simply stating what I and many other Cuse fans saw and discussed all season. Constructive criticism is good, it makes players better. I didn't realize there were so many people who don't like constructive criticism. The proof was in the results. We were not good for a reason. I will just leave it at that and cease all discussion of BB & JG, because it really is beating a dead horse.

I'm really not trying to provoke at all. I made one comment, and they all came at me like a pack of lions. I defended each post with grace and am simply stating what I and many other Cuse fans saw and discussed all season. Constructive criticism is good, it makes players better. I didn't realize there were so many people who don't like constructive criticism. The proof was in the results. We were not good for a reason. I will just leave it at that and cease all discussion of BB & JG, because it really is beating a dead horse.
yes, beating the dead horse that BG was supposedly better then buddy but he cant let his son fail. People hate on him cause of his name. I kinda wish i could see buddy on another team and torch us and watch people say "we should recruited him, he is coaches son how did he not get him"

Joe Girard
33.0m 15.1p 3.7r 4.3a 1.8s 0.1b = +25.0 8.7mfg 0.4mft 2.3to 2.8pf = -13.2 = 11.8NP 6.0OE 5.8FG

Howard Washington
7.4m 6.2p 4.6r 6.5a 2.2s 0.0b = +19.5 5.1mfg 0.0mft 3.0to 0.8pf = -8.9 = 10.6NP 1.1OE 9.5FG

Buddy Boeheim
35.6m 17.2p 2.1r 2.4a 1.2s 0.2b = +23.1 9.0mfg 0.6mft 1.6to 1.9pf -13.1 = 10.0NP 7.6OE 2.4FG

Brycen Goodine
6.9m 8.8p 4.8r 3.2a 2.2s 0.4b = +19.4 7.0mfg 0.6mft 3.4to 3.4pf 14.4- = 5.0NP 1.2OE 3.8FG

Jalen Carey
11.5m 5.2p 10.4r 1.7a 1.7s 0.0b = +19.4 12.2mfg 5.2mft 5.2to 1.7pf 24.3- = -5.3NP -12.2OE 6.9FG

Staitstically, Joe Girard and Howard Washington were our two best guards but both were point guards and Howard couldn't shoot so it was Joe and Buddy out there. Now, the stats certainly favor offense over defense but the gap between them and Goodine and Carey was huge. it's true and Goodine and Carey didn't play as much but you've got to show the coach what you can do when you are out there. And Carey lost his job first, then decided to have the operation. he'd been give the starting role with the injury. He played his way out of the position and Goodine was terrible as well, so we went to Joe and he had a fine season for a freshman point guard.

Now Washington, Goodine and Carey are all gone, replaced by Griffin and Richmond. Joe and Buddy will have to win their positions again. Alan and Kadary will have to perform well in practice and when they are in there to supplant them. That's how it works, folks.
I like your stats, and I like your view on things. The past is the past thankfully, and we finally we have multiple players with talent coming in who will push other players. I look forward to next season.

yes, beating the dead horse that BG was supposedly better then buddy but he cant let his son fail. People hate on him cause of his name. I kinda wish i could see buddy on another team and torch us and watch people say "we should recruited him, he is coaches son how did he not get him"
I never once said BG was better than BB, and you're putting words into my mouth again. For the record, I do NOT HATE BB, I love the kid, and I want him and all Syracuse players to do well. I, as do many Cuse fans, just do not feel as though others were given a fair shot. Some players are better than others, more athletically gifted, better bball iq, better ballhandling skills, better shooting abilities, etc. My feelings will not waiver, and thankfully we have a new group of kids coming in who should be talented enough to push the players from last year's team. May the best players start and hopefully we can get back to our winning ways.

I never once said BG was better than BB, and you're putting words into my mouth again. I do NOT HATE BB, I love the kid, and I want him and all Syracuse players to do well. I, as do many Cuse fans, just do not feel as though others were given a fair shot. My feelings will not waiver, and thankfully we have a new group of kids coming in who should be talented enough to push the players from last year's team. May the best players start and hopefully we can get back to our winning ways.
who is to say they didnt get a fair shot? fans who only see game time? the coaches saw them for months and months and know who is better. i will not lose a second of sleep over the three guards leaving

I never once said BG was better than BB, and you're putting words into my mouth again. For the record, I do NOT HATE BB, I love the kid, and I want him and all Syracuse players to do well. I, as do many Cuse fans, just do not feel as though others were given a fair shot. Some players are better than others, more athletically gifted, better bball iq, better ballhandling skills, better shooting abilities, etc. My feelings will not waiver, and thankfully we have a new group of kids coming in who should be talented enough to push the players from last year's team. May the best players start and hopefully we can get back to our winning ways.
you may not have said BG was better then buddy but you do say stuff like this; "This is wrong...no one, not even Michael Jordan, would play ahead of buddy on a jb coached team at this point "

1586112475591.png

Pretty sure its hard to take you seriously when you have like 4-5 posts like this talking about buddy and JG3

you may not have said BG was better then buddy but you do say stuff like this; "This is wrong...no one, not even Michael Jordan, would play ahead of buddy on a jb coached team at this point "

I was saying that facetiously...don't take everything to heart geesh. I didn't just kill your first born for crying out loud. You don't like sarcasm or laughing? Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.