Class of 2018 - SG/SF Jeenathan Williams (NY) to Buffalo | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG/SF Jeenathan Williams (NY) to Buffalo

There's actually a little something going on at UB. The team lacks star power, but they play good basketball and are one of the better programs in the MAC now.
He may be exactly what they need to take the next step up.

What? Really 20 plus offers and picks Buffalo?
Nothing "wrong" with UB, per se. And BOL. However, I wouldn't sleep on this "commitment" with all those high majors interested.

Last edited:
What happened here? One day Syracuse is his dream school and the next he committed to UB?
Didn't Buddy take that scholarship?

Thought we were taking Baz, Buddy, a PG and a big for 2018.

Good luck to Jeenathan. Hope he kills it with the Bulls.

I thought Buddy was a preferred walk-on?

Buddy will be a walk-on, but it doesn't change the fact that he will take a position that Jeenathan also plays. This allows the coaches to work to fill holes in other areas, as that one will be covered.

I think he is but the problem is numbers at SG. You have Buddy and Hughes and Washington and heck, even Carey might play minutes there (some teams think he is a SG).

If Battle were ever to come back, it would get even worse. Plus Goodine might well end up playing minutes at SG.

I think the roster is saturated at the position for now. Maybe we can take another in 2019, maybe even another Battle...

Buddy will be a walk-on, but it doesn't change the fact that he will take a position that Jeenathan also plays. This allows the coaches to work to fill holes in other areas, as that one will be covered.

Has there been any announcement or comment from anyone connected with SU Basketball as to what Buddy's scholarship status is? I can't find one.

Has there been any announcement or comment from anyone connected with SU Basketball as to what Buddy's scholarship status is? I can't find one.

I don't think they can publicly say anything until he has signed on.

Buddy will not be and will never be a "walk-on". Buddy would have been a very recruited D-1 player if he was not attending SU. He could end up with one of two statuses.

If all available basketball scholarships are not used and one is available, Buddy will be awarded a full scholarship that includes tuition, room, board, books, and personal and other expenses associated with the value of a full scholarship.

If all basketball scholarships are used not counting Buddy, he can be awarded a "dependency tuition" scholarship. In which case he would receive almost full tuition and parents foot the other costs. Dont have to decide until he enrolls and they know the status of the rest of the roster.

I think he is but the problem is numbers at SG. You have Buddy and Hughes and Washington and heck, even Carey might play minutes there (some teams think he is a SG).

If Battle were ever to come back, it would get even worse. Plus Goodine might well end up playing minutes at SG.

I think the roster is saturated at the position for now. Maybe we can take another in 2019, maybe even another Battle...
Just sorting this out on my "board". ;) I think you're right (no room for Jeenathan).

At (primarily) PG in '18, Thorpe will be gone. If Jalen Carey comes in, he would be the odd's on favorite to start, with FH (if he stays) competing for backup PG minutes with Washington. Not many PG minutes available for the taking, but nice depth at a very important spot.

At (primarily) SG in '18, Hughes (who's 6'6) becomes eligible after sitting out this year. And Buddy comes in. That's a starter and backup (whichever), leaving little opportunity for Jeenathan at the position. If Battle returns for a third (junior) season, the Inn's jammed and Buddy and Hughes would have to compete for SG backup minutes, or situations when JB wants Battle to play SF. Again, I'll take that kind of "logjam" anytime. Talented and deep.

Goodine doesn't arrive until the '19 class (I haven't heard anything about him re-classifying to 2018).

Last edited:

This is what I thought and I just figured we stopped looking at Williams after Baz committed.

I reeeeeeally hope our recruiting for 2018 is done by mid October.

Just sorting this out on my "board". ;) I think you're right (no room for Jeenathan).

At (primarily) PG in '18, Thorpe will be gone. If Jalen Carey comes in, he would be the odd's on favorite to start, with FH (if he stays) competing for backup PG minutes with Washington. A nice 'logjam' problem to have at a very important spot.

At (primarily) SG in '18, Hughes (who's 6'6) becomes eligible after sitting out this year. And Buddy comes in. That's a starter and backup (whichever). If Battle returns for a third (junior) season, Buddy and Hughes will compete for SG backup minutes, or situations when/if JB wants Battle to play SF. Again, I'll take that kind of "logjam" anytime. Talented and deep.

Goodine doesn't arrive until the '19 class (I haven't heard anything about him re-classifying to 2018).
You got it all right there. I mentioned Goodine because I was looking out to next year but also beyond that. We have a lot of guards and almost all of them are young.

Buddy will not be and will never be a "walk-on". Buddy would have been a very recruited D-1 player if he was not attending SU. He could end up with one of two statuses.

If all available basketball scholarships are not used and one is available, Buddy will be awarded a full scholarship that includes tuition, room, board, books, and personal and other expenses associated with the value of a full scholarship.

If all basketball scholarships are used not counting Buddy, he can be awarded a "dependency tuition" scholarship. In which case he would receive almost full tuition and parents foot the other costs. Dont have to decide until he enrolls and they know the status of the rest of the roster.
You know in this situation calling him a walk on is not derogatory right? He gets us a free ship basically. And I'd bet dollars to donuts that even if we had one his Pop would give it to one of the other kids because he goes for free basically anyway