Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

Oregon was 33-6 , two box outs from the NCAA championship game. Tucker is a likely a one and done. Don't underestimate them, they are evolving into the the premier PAC-12 program.

Also don't underestimate what Phil knight has done for that program...i wonder if some people on here don't realize what their facilities are like...kinda hard to compete with that and if you think a 18 year old kid isn't impressed when they go there and see what they have to offer then your nuts. That's what money will do for ya

We really wouldn't have to be stressed about this if it seemed like there were ANY other backup plans. Grad transfers are going elsewhere left and right and will continue to go while we are waiting for 2 prized recruits, we should wait for sure but we will be hurt severely if they do not commit. I understand both sides of the argument because Frank Howard playing crucial minutes scares the living out of me, yet at the same time we have minimal control because of the limited options. While we are not a program that should be considered beggars, that is basically what we are right now because of how late in the process we are getting things rolling, especially when you are given 2nd chances with all these coaching changes and you don't bite on one of them. I understand the staff has their board and they know a lot more about the whole process then me but logic has to dictate they are in panic mode, a few years ago I would never have imagined Cuse ever being in panic mode. I'd like to think Ayala and Tucker will be wearing orange but they are not obligated to sign with us and the further they drag it on the more teams can get in the mix, in the case of Ayala it could even be next season so only time will tell. For the Ayala situation you would have to think people are advising him to be cautious as his interest would heat up if he ended up in the 2018 class and he could be more selective of a fit for his style.

Yup. Fair assessment for sure. Hopefully there are some plan Bs if we don't get these guys.

If we can't beat out Oregon for a NY kid playing the position we desperately need, I'll seriously start to worry.

Also, People need to pump the brakes on Oregon. UCLA gets exposure, everyone else in that league gets exposure playing against UCLA. Have fun with those late night games nobody cares about.

East Coast Bias and I don't give a ...

After living on the west coast for a few years, this thought process makes little sense to me but is repeated constantly. Sure the west coast games usually tip at 10 on the east but the east coast games are also tipping at 4 on the west so neither side is really watching the other.

It is not good that he is entertaining the ducks. Same with Ayala. Listen to Francis Pod. He is spot on.

After living on the west coast for a few years, this thought process makes little sense to me but is repeated constantly. Sure the west coast games usually tip at 10 on the east but the east coast games are also tipping at 4 on the west so neither side is really watching the other.
When you watch ESPN, what games and conferences are they pushing?

It's not the Pac and it's Bill Walton sideshow.

If you're lucky enough to play UCLA on a Saturday or Sunday after football season ends, I guess you can find your way onto CBS for a game.

If you're lucky enough to play UCLA on a Saturday or Sunday after football season ends, I guess you can find your way onto CBS for a game.
Dude, we cannot compete with the self proclaimed "Conference of Champions". You would have to go back 20 years to find a non Pac-12 team that has won the NCAA Water Polo championship. We thought that being in a conference that has the football and basketball champions was impressive. It just doesn't stack up. Water polo rules.

Oregon made the final four because the committee took away their sacrificial lamb status when they didn't put SU in the midwest (let alone the whole tournament).

They're generally pushing Duke and Kentucky primarily with some UNC and Kansas mixed in. Next tier would include Cuse and also UCLA/Zona.

Dude, we cannot compete with the self proclaimed "Conference of Champions". You would have to go back 20 years to find a non Pac-12 team that has won the NCAA Water Polo championship. We thought that being in a conference that has the football and basketball champions was impressive. It just doesn't stack up. Water polo rules.

Cool, the conference has champions that feed on us but at least we get a pay out!

They're generally pushing Duke and Kentucky primarily with some UNC and Kansas mixed in. Next tier would include Cuse and also UCLA/Zona.
Agreed but Cuse, Louisville, UVA etc are always on in primetime and are always the games advertised during SportsCenter/First Take etc. I'm not saying they are bad teams, but there is an inherent exposure advantage playing for a name brand school on the East Coast vs the West Coast sans USC Football and UCLA Basketball.

Add that to the fact Syracuse is a machine at pumping out 1/2 years at Cuse = First Round Pick and I don't see how Oregon competes with us for an east coast, let alone NY, kid.

They do have dope facilities but we also have the Melo Center and 35k+ crowds...

Oregon was 33-6 , two box outs from the NCAA championship game. Tucker is a likely a one and done. Don't underestimate them, they are evolving into the the premier PAC-12 program.

How did you come to this conclusion? When it comes to recruiting talk, some of y'all need to seriously pump the breaks in gassing these prospects. From Ayala, Duarte and now Tucker, you guys are losing your minds. They'll be solid pieces should their game translate to the college level and ACC. You don't look at any of these guys and think "he's a pro."

How did you come to this conclusion? When it comes to recruiting talk, some of y'all need to seriously pump the breaks in gassing these prospects. From Ayala, Duarte and now Tucker, you guys are losing your minds. They'll be solid pieces should their game translate to the college level and ACC. You don't look at any of these guys and think "he's a pro."

I will agree with you that people certainly get a little excited about certain prospects on here and automatically think they are our next first rounder and maybe we should pump the brakes a bit however the post you replied to is not outrageous or out of this realm what do ever. I'm NOT saying Tucker is a one and done...actually I think he's more of a 2 or 3 year player but if you have watched any of his tape and not thought to yourself that he has the skill set to translate to the NBA then I'm not really sure what your looking at. (No disrespect to you) but Tucker has a great shot..a wicked step back, the size and ball handling skills. Now when or if he goes will remain to be seen and I'm certainly not going to say he's a one and done but this kid absolutely has the tools there needed to play in the pros

I don't understand the sentiment that if Tucker and/or Ayala choose to go to Oregon, or GTech in Tucker's case, that it shows some serious issues with Syracuse. Sure, it seems pretty likely that our recruiting process is problematic, but I don't think a kid or two making what they feel is the best decision for themselves would be a knock on Syracuse.

If Tucker thinks he's a one and done or wants to make sure he's on a winning program for his freshman year, Oregon is a good choice. If Brooks goes pro, they're really a good choice. The facilities, the Nike, the FF with a strong core returning has to be appealing. We're a program that has lost 13+ games 3 years in a row. We haven't been elite or great in 4 years. While it wouldn't be a good look for us based on his recent visit and the photo in the uni, I don't think it's an overall knock if he choose O.

Maybe these kids don't want to play for a cranky old man or prefer the coach at another schol? Maybe they don't want to sit in zone for 100% of the time. These are legit concerns for recruits.

The only thing that would suggest an underlying problem is JB's inability to have any backup plans lined up. Maybe he does, but that doesn't seem to be the case at this time. The recruiting philosophy here seems to be the big issue, not the actual school or program.

I don't understand the sentiment that if Tucker and/or Ayala choose to go to Oregon, or GTech in Tucker's case, that it shows some serious issues with Syracuse. Sure, it seems pretty likely that our recruiting process is problematic, but I don't think a kid or two making what they feel is the best decision for themselves would be a knock on Syracuse.

If Tucker thinks he's a one and done or wants to make sure he's on a winning program for his freshman year, Oregon is a good choice. If Brooks goes pro, they're really a good choice. The facilities, the Nike, the FF with a strong core returning has to be appealing. We're a program that has lost 13+ games 3 years in a row. We haven't been elite or great in 4 years. While it wouldn't be a good look for us based on his recent visit and the photo in the uni, I don't think it's an overall knock if he choose O.

Maybe these kids don't want to play for a cranky old man or prefer the coach at another schol? Maybe they don't want to sit in zone for 100% of the time. These are legit concerns for recruits.

The only thing that would suggest an underlying problem is JB's inability to have any backup plans lined up. Maybe he does, but that doesn't seem to be the case at this time. The recruiting philosophy here seems to be the big issue, not the actual school or program.

As good as Oregon as they aren't as good as us producing NBA Draft Picks. If he wants to be 1 or 2 and done he should come to Syracuse, but I agree with everything else you say.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...oregon has lots to offer and the facilities are unbelievable..im not sure how a kid or even a parent can go there and see what they have to offer to them or there child and not be impressed. Place is nuts and the basketball program is on the rise for sure. They get more unis and nike stuff it seems like for every single freakin game..and let's be honest syracuse, N.Y. isn't the most appealing area. Weather, city, stuff to do etc...idk just my 2 cents. I would definitely be more worried about someone like Tucker picking the ducks over ga tech any day...

You don't understand how not being able to field a roster with personnel well suited for all of the positions is a significant problem? If Tucker [for example] chooses to play elsewhere, then our roster as currently constituted wouldn't have a true small forward on next year's squad, and would likely have to resort to pursuing a band aid via the 5th year transfer option.

I think it is dumb to knock the other schools. There are a variety of reasons why an athlete might choose to go to Oregon or even Georgia Tech instead of here. But our basic inability to land prospects at key positions of need and perpetually getting locked into focusing only on one target while other targets are out there is a problem.

Keep in mind that heading into the class of 2017, everyone knew / understood well in advance that this was an important class, and that we needed to stock up on the perimeter positions. Right now, we've got half the class filled, half of the available scholarships still unclaimed, and the two guys we lined up in November both project as bigs, not wings / guards. Howard Washington was a nice depth pick-up. But who starts at 1 and 3 next season?

I hope that we land both Tucker and Ayala--I really do. That group would a really nice class, and plug most if not all of our roster's holes. But the fact that neither of these guys has committed, and that we're seemingly all in on both of them [yet again] is worrisome. And in the case of Ayala -- I would love to land this kid. But it is frustrating that an unprecedented number of top 100 point guards have shaken loose this spring, and we haven't pursued actively any of them in lieu of focusing exclusively on Ayala. Hope it pans out, because if not we made the same mistake we made with Green.

You don't understand how not being able to field a roster with personnel well suited for all of the positions is a significant problem? If Tucker [for example] chooses to play elsewhere, then our roster as currently constituted wouldn't have a true small forward on next year's squad, and would likely have to resort to pursuing a band aid via the 5th year transfer option.

I think it is dumb to knock the other schools. There are a variety of reasons why an athlete might choose to go to Oregon or even Georgia Tech instead of here. But our basic inability to land prospects at key positions of need and perpetually getting locked into focusing only on one target while other targets are out there is a problem.

Keep in mind that heading into the class of 2017, everyone knew / understood well in advance that this was an important class, and that we needed to stock up on the perimeter positions. Right now, we've got half the class filled, half of the available scholarships still unclaimed, and the two guys we lined up in November both project as bigs, not wings / guards. Howard Washington was a nice depth pick-up. But who starts at 1 and 3 next season?

I hope that we land both Tucker and Ayala--I really do. That group would a really nice class, and plug most if not all of our roster's holes. But the fact that neither of these guys has committed, and that we're seemingly all in on both of them [yet again] is worrisome. And in the case of Ayala -- I would love to land this kid. But it is frustrating that an unprecedented number of top 100 point guards have shaken loose this spring, and we haven't pursued actively any of them in lieu of focusing exclusively on Ayala. Hope it pans out, because if not we made the same mistake we made with Green.
I agree about PG totally. As the saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Sure most of these kids have NBA aspirations, but they also factor in many other variables. I would think a huge variable is how well the kid thinks he will fit in with his future teammates and how he thinks he will fit in with campus life in a addition to basketball issues such as available playing time and style.

Bottom line, if a kid has enough talent, he will get to the league sooner or later, and there probably will not be much difference as to when that will happen as long as the kid does not put himself in a situation of sitting behind somebody and getting limited minutes.

As a program we have many, many positives, but let's face it we also have some fairly significant negatives. JB himself is probably the biggest positive and the biggest negative depending upon how he is viewed by a prospective recruit. Same holds true for the Zone.

Based upon our recent recruiting success's or lack therof, I think maybe the landscape is changing in a way that more recruits than previously are viewing those as more negative than positive.

I will agree with you that people certainly get a little excited about certain prospects on here and automatically think they are our next first rounder and maybe we should pump the brakes a bit however the post you replied to is not outrageous or out of this realm what do ever. I'm NOT saying Tucker is a one and done...actually I think he's more of a 2 or 3 year player but if you have watched any of his tape and not thought to yourself that he has the skill set to translate to the NBA then I'm not really sure what your looking at. (No disrespect to you) but Tucker has a great shot..a wicked step back, the size and ball handling skills. Now when or if he goes will remain to be seen and I'm certainly not going to say he's a one and done but this kid absolutely has the tools there needed to play in the pros

Everyone has a good highlight tape. Let's see these guys play at the next level before jumping to conclusions.