Shafer has his built in excuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer has his built in excuse

You knew who I was talking about my Iphone auto changed Jarrod to Jarred and I didn't fix it in time.
Actually, I really don't know what you are trying to say.

Yes I believe that Fredricks and Strickland look like th best skill players in the past 20 years. They look to be like they will be NFL Players. They are fantastic athletes that look like some of the best players I have seen here. Certainly the best freshmen that I have seen here. I don't think you can even deny that can you?

You realize it was 1 game right? I thought they showed some promise as well, but lets at least wait until they play an P5 team, or even CMU before crowning them. Talk about over the top.

You realize it was 1 game right? I thought they showed some promise as well, but lets at least wait until they play an P5 team, or even CMU before crowning them. Talk about over the top.
I don't care about wh o they played. The skill set those two guys have is tough to ignore. They are top of the line athletes There's no getting around that. For true frosh they are amazing.

Not sure why everyone is worried about Shafer's "built in excuse". Either he proves he has the ability to coach (recruit, game plan, game execution, make corrections, direct staff, etc.) or not. Part of any operation - be it sports, business, government, military - is the ability to roll with the punches and have options available when things go wrong.

There is a military maxim that states, "No battle plan ever survived first contact with the enemy." Simply put, even the best laid plans cannot account for every potential outcome. Have a general plan, follow it and execute it. Change where necessary. Adapt and overcome.

Keeping a coach is about far more than just a win/loss record. Besides, with the minimalist win production from many on this site and moronic sports writers, we will attain those goals with or without Hunt. Is the season going to be peaches and cream? NO! Did the world come to an end? NO! Sit back, relax and enjoy the season. If Shafer screws up, he's gone, if he succeeds he stays.*

* Disclaimer: I believe Shafer succeeds. Last season was a fluke.

Skills look solid. O line was average for sure. Going to need to improve. Wake game will be a good test

Which is really discouraging since the core of the OL were members or 2 of the better OL's (2012-2013) we've had in the past 15 years. You would think the players didn't get worse, so there's only one place to look.

did i say i didnt enjoy the game- show me were i did ??????????

i did say ri is beyond a bad team and im reserving judgement (unlike the do no wrong crew) till we play a legit football team not one made of jr high rejects

Your connotation.

Last edited:
I don't care about wh o they played. The skill set those two guys have is tough to ignore. They are top of the line athletes There's no getting around that. For true frosh they are amazing.

I'd be interested to hear your expectations for them this year? 1,000 yards? All-ACC? Heisman?

Yes I believe that Fredricks and Strickland look like th best skill players in the past 20 years. They look to be like they will be NFL Players. They are fantastic athletes that look like some of the best players I have seen here. Certainly the best freshmen that I have seen here. I don't think you can even deny that can you?

So based on THIS particular game these guys are better than (just off the top of my head):

Marvin Harrison, Jim Turner, Kevin Johnson, Malcolm Thomas, Rob Konrad, Kyle Macintosh, Dee Brown, James Mungro, David Tyree, Damien Rhodes, Delone Carter, Curtis Brinkley, Jerome Smith, PTG.

They looked great, but I'd pump the breaks.

"Built in excuse" kind of sounds like a loaded phrase to me, like someone doesn't care for the staff and is implying that now they can stink again and face no repercussions. But maybe I'm misinterpreting the intent?

Yeah, you are.

How some morons want to turn this into a thread about Marrone is beyond me, but here is the point of the original post, last night was the first game of the 2016 season.

Shafer and Lester now have a lot less "win now" pressure and now have a full season to build this for next year. A lot of young guys on defense to.

I have no problem with a youth movement. It comes with it's cost though.

I'd say with all this one guy on the clock is Joe Adam. This whole thing doesn't work unless the OL develops to support the skill guys. They
I think you have a fair point. Whatever someone may think about Shafer, there can be no doubt he has had a very bad run of luck. A true freshman QB has to be taken into account unless Coyle just wants his own guy. That said, if we show major improvement that simply falls short in the win column, I would say Shafer should be safe for next year. Every coach says that recruiting is 90% of the job. If that is true, IMO this staff deserves a chance to see what they can do with these kids (and next year's class as well).

well with a new offense that is a very disturbing thing to do - why not continue to work for scores??????

There's a very delicate balance of how far you can be ahead before the other team gets p***ed and starts taking cheap shots. Hunt was already done, we dont know about Erv, and dmc didn't play. Last thing we needed to do after half was air it out and get any starters hurt.

Last edited:
The speed and wiggle I saw from Estime, Erv, And power/ wiggle/balance from Fredericks haven't been here in years. Strickland literally coasted in on his TD.

Those players showed skills that translate against better competition. Especially the first three.

Still not sold in the OL and wish we had a burner to stretch the D.

Speaking of D...i think our front 7 will be fine. There is size and speed to compete with our peers. Biggest issue to me are the corners.

lot's of posts on this thread......
shaking-no-smiley-emoticon.gif

As I read on......
disappointed-smiley-emoticon.gif

I'd be interested to hear your expectations for them this year? 1,000 yards? All-ACC? Heisman?
I think they will be all ACC players. Not sure about this season but in their careers. Wouldn't rule out they could could be AA type players before they are done. No sure you could expect true frosh to look any better than those 2. I do think that Fredricks could get 1000 yards this year. I think it's realistic.

The speed and wiggle I saw from Estime, Erv, And power/ wiggle/balance from Fredericks haven't been here in years. Strickland literally coasted in on his TD.

Those players showed skills that translate against better competition. Especially the first three.

Speaking of D...i think our front 7 will be fine. There is size and speed to compete with our peers. Biggest issue to me are the corners.
I think the Defense is likely better than last year. I think the corners look great.

crazy-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif

I can buy that Hunt's injury offers the staff some job security. What I'm not sure of is the length of time. Would they potentially be facing heat again in 2016? I'd have to think so. At a certain point they'll need to break through. Odds of that aren't looking that high for this season.

Actually, I really don't know what you are trying to say.
West is 5th alltime in SU history with career receptions. If he isn't a playmaker to you then I don't know your definition.
I was asked to list playmakers recruited by Marrone. I said West and Jerome Smith. Marrone didn't recruit great but this narrative is a joke.

So based on THIS particular game these guys are better than (just off the top of my head):

Marvin Harrison, Jim Turner, Kevin Johnson, Malcolm Thomas, Rob Konrad, Kyle Macintosh, Dee Brown, James Mungro, David Tyree, Damien Rhodes, Delone Carter, Curtis Brinkley, Jerome Smith, PTG.

They looked great, but I'd pump the breaks.
Yes other than Harrison and maybe Johnson I would say yes. As far as RB Fredricks maybe the best have seen since Joe Morris. I think he's that good. Strickland should also he playing RB

but we didnt do well - 3 tds against that defense says as much

We could have easily had 5 or 6 of our entire 2nd half playbook didn't consist of inside zone runs and the occasional jet sweep.

I can buy that Hunt's injury offers the staff some job security. What I'm not sure of is the length of time. Would they potentially be facing heat again in 2016? I'd have to think so. At a certain point they'll need to break through. Odds of that aren't looking that high for this season.

Hell yeah, with the two best skill guys in 20 years and a second year starter at QB, make or break.

Based on "looks" I think Jacob Hill is the best skill player in the last 20 years - at least it looked that way against a team of Rhode Island's caliber. Let's wait until we play Wake until we make any judgments at all.

Alsacs said:
West is 5th alltime in SU history with career receptions. If he isn't a playmaker to you then I don't know your definition. I was asked to list playmakers recruited by Marrone. I said West and Jerome Smith. Marrone didn't recruit great but this narrative is a joke.

I consider West a very good possession receiver...not remotely close to a playmaker.

# of receptions is a bad way to judge a playmaker.

Playmakers threaten to break one every time they touch the ball. That wasn't west.

Smith...meh. Solid, more of a playmaker than west. But defensive coordinators didn't lose sleep facing them.

How some morons want to turn this into a thread about Marrone is beyond me, but here is the point of the original post, last night was the first game of the 2016 season.

Shafer and Lester now have a lot less "win now" pressure and now have a full season to build this for next year. A lot of young guys on defense to.

I have no problem with a youth movement. It comes with it's cost though.

I'd say with all this one guy on the clock is Joe Adam. This whole thing doesn't work unless the OL develops to support the skill guys. They

I'm sorry but I agree with very little in your post.

To think that this staff has very little "win now" pressure is grossly underestimating competitive nature of the game. Another 3-9 season firmly puts Shafer's rear in the hot seat. It hurts recruiting, it hurts fan support, and it places his job security firmly into dicey territory. I'd say that's a hell of a lot of pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom