Shafer's blitzing schemes and looks (good read) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer's blitzing schemes and looks (good read)

Agree on the Pugh comment. Alexander was completely lost that game and his struggles destroyed almost anything we tried to do on offense. If we had even a mediocre OT at that position that day, we would have won by 15 or 20 points.

Some good points by the guy who wrote the article. O'Brien is a fine offensive mind who will be smart enough to avoid some of the traps lesser OCs fall into playing Syracuse. Could see the Nits using 2 TE formations all game long, trying to wear SU down with a power attack and some short dump passes.

Should be a really interesting game. I am very interested to see how McDonald attacks the Penn State defense.

Really going out on a limb with this one, but I think if we get a good hit on whatever goofball they have playing QB early I think they're sunk.

Another stretch - if we get a lead we're in the driver's seat between our ability to run the ball and their inexperience at QB, we've got it in the bag.

In the bag, people.

JO used to post this type of stuff but he hasnt been on the board in ages..

Takeaways:

1. They have a new QB AND a new center. Chaos indeed.

2. We have a couple more OMG speed guys on O now (GM II, Estime, Ashton?)

3. Here's to hoping they play "plain Jane" D for our new QB, whoever it is.

4. That game was before our running game clicked last season. Changed everything.

The bolded was the big takeaway for me as well. I didn't realize PSU had a new center as well. I respect BOB as a coach and offensive mind and know he'll have his team prepared as much as possible. But there is simply no substitute for experience and game day speed, and all the coaching and preparing in the world can't truly prepare a true freshman QB for the speed and confusion the Syracuse defense will be bringing. I think BOB will have to drastically simplify and tone down his playbook and expect PSU to use heavy doses of power running and play action/misdirection. I thought the article's point on PSU using a lot of TE's for flexibility without substituting was an interesting one, but Syracuse's defense is fast enough that I'm not worried about a bunch of TE's running away from our LB's in coverage.

I do hope Bullough/Shafer have something up their sleeve for the second half, as PSU will make adjustments at halftime. If SU can introduce a new wrinkle that wasn't shown in the first half, it can mitigate against any attempts by PSU to adapt and adjust. I'd love to see Syracuse really test PSU's QB's accuracy and quick decision making. Last year, facing high school competition, Hackenberg only completed 54% of his passes and Ferguson, facing JUCO competition, only completed 56%. Play fast, swarm, take away the first read and see how these guys do going through progressions on the fly and throwing with accuracy.

Hats off to that guy, really well done. With that said, I'm really pulling for Desir take a punt return to the house and then spikes it off their mascots face.

A few more things...

Expect Shaf/Bullough to continue the shifting/stunting/blitz fakes to continue, if not more than we've seen up to this point.

Desir was a huge improvement returning punts last year when they finally decided to pull Ritchie Rene from duty. Do not be surprised to see D Kelly get some chances. Kid is a burner. Still want to see Estime though.

The drag routes/flats/quick outs could really kill us.

Brom will be doubled every snap. The snaps he doesn't get doubled, if at all, he will eat their new center's lunch. Chris Farley-style. Will destroy him.

Reddish will be our main press corner.

Welsh will be a nice new addition to our front four.

Raymon will get some quality run.

Really need our corners/safeties to step up. They are by far our biggest impact here. The blitzes will get PSU scrambling, but without sound coverage, it won't matter.

What about BOB? ;)

F the Peds. LGO.

Agree on the Pugh comment. Alexander was completely lost that game and his struggles destroyed almost anything we tried to do on offense. If we had even a mediocre OT at that position that day, we would have won by 15 or 20 points.

Some good points by the guy who wrote the article. O'Brien is a fine offensive mind who will be smart enough to avoid some of the traps lesser OCs fall into playing Syracuse. Could see the Nits using 2 TE formations all game long, trying to wear SU down with a power attack and some short dump passes.

Should be a really interesting game. I am very interested to see how McDonald attacks the Penn State defense.

This game is going to be a battle of who can do what they want/can. I think X and Y will be taken away from both teams but Z is going to be the thing that wins this game and to me, that's making game adjustments.

Outstanding thread, with some very really good posts. I live in PSU country, so I've been able to watch a ton of their games over the years. O'Brien is an outstanding HC, who, if he doesn't go pro, will have PSU in the hunt for National Championships once the NCAA sanctions are over. Not only is he a very good x's & o's guy, but he obviously can recruit also. Having to deal with all their fans around me, I'm hoping & do believe that eventually the sanction effects will drive him back into the arms of the NFL. If PSU improves from a pretty remarkable season last year, there will be NFL teams making him offers that will be hard for him to resist. Like Marrone, he really is a coach better suited for the NFL.

As for Saturday, I'm expecting a really tight game. In my heart of hearts, I like our chances. But, I bleed Orange, so that take may be tainted. My only fear is that O'Brien will outcoach Shafer & that may be the difference. PSU still has 4 star & 5 star starters that we'll have to contend with. Lack of depth may be an issue, but I don't think this early in the season, that it'll make any difference. This game will come down to turnovers & who plays with the greatest amount of intensity. Both coaches will have their teams flying around. This will be a very entertaining game that hopefully (if we play well), could also help on the recruitment trail. 90% of my neighbors are PSU fans ( the other 10% are Pitt Fans), so keep me in your prayers should things get ugly for us. I've been flying the Syracuse banner out front for almost a week now & no eggs have hit my house yet. I'll gladly handle the eggs, should we win. GO ORANGE!!

Btw, I'm glad they're looking at the Minnesota game. It was probably the worst game we played last year, especially on O. Nothing like flying in under the radar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom