Shhhh! Yes the ACCN Continues to Move Forward | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shhhh! Yes the ACCN Continues to Move Forward

He was a reliable source in 2012 regarding Notre Dame to the ACC similar to Arb. He knew about it 5 months before it happened. He was trying to find out more the last I checked last month. He got what he reported last month from a Notre Dame booster he knows. This Notre Dame booster also named school number 16 candidates that Notre Dame would want to come too (Texas, Penn State, Navy, Cincinnati) in that order. Who knows if it will happen? Cincinnati would join within an hour. The others, I'm not so sure.
Silly. Everyone KNOWS that ND's first (and only) choice is UConn. That guy knows nothing. :rolleyes:

One of the respected sources from NC State was suggesting a month ago that NBC has looked at the possibility of buying Raycom Sports. If NBC does this, then they will get cozy with ESPN in a hurry regarding the ACC. I'm not sure if this is what is being implied, but if something like this happens, then it could get interesting regarding Notre Dame.
I believe the ACCN will happen, but it would not be a good thing if NBC buys Raycom. ESPN is the 1000 lb guerilla in sports broadcasting. ESPN doesn't respect NBC or NBCSN. ESPN doesn't fear FOX but they respect FOX. If NBC gets Raycom I doubt the ACCN will happen and I think the ACCN will happen.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/03/04/Media/ESPN-Fox

I'm not saying cuseguy is slinging BS at all. I've been around here long enough to know who is full of it and who is not. I will admit I am skeptical of the idea that ESPN is getting cold feet on an ACCN, however. A goodly part of the reason is that there are two posters on the Georgia Tech board I've been following for a long time also who have a great track record on what is happening in the ACC who have not indicated there are any significant complications that might derail an ACCN. At least AT THIS TIME.

Anyway, I'll remain guardedly optimistic that the right decision for the ACC and Syracuse University will be made.

MaxwellCuse said:
I'm not saying cuseguy is slinging BS at all. I've been around here long enough to know who is full of it and who is not. I will admit I am skeptical of the idea that ESPN is getting cold feet on an ACCN, however. A goodly part of the reason is that there are two posters on the Georgia Tech board I've been following for a long time also who have a great track record on what is happening in the ACC who have not indicated there are any significant complications that might derail an ACCN. At least AT THIS TIME. Anyway, I'll remain guardedly optimistic that the right decision for the ACC and Syracuse University will be made.

ESPN is in deep discussions internally over the network.

It'll likely happen, but it's not the slam dunk for reasons I stated earlier.

And that's no BS.

Thanks, Maxwell.

My guy is at Raycom here in charlotte, & as I posted a year ago, he was adamant the ACCN was a done deal- the holdup at that time, being Swofford's lack of urgency.
I think the ACCN happens in the next 2 years- & I also believe it will EXCEED expectations.
Having moved here 5 years ago from NYC, I can state unequivocally that the ACCN is a big regional "deal" here. Folks are rabid about "their" conference vis-a-vis the SEC, B1G, and the non-factor that is the Big Xll.
The ACCN will succeed, & I can't wait till it happens! JMHO

I know innuendos are part of the board, but it is a bit tiring when one"insider" presents information and another poster (of course claiming inside sources) contradicts the original post. I am starting to disbelieve virtually every "insider".

As long as I don't have to see food lion and no jangles commercial at every break, I'm good. And have to deal with 2-bit announcers who have not taken time to prep for SU players that treat them like an out of conference team when calling the game.

I know innuendos are part of the board, but it is a bit tiring when one"insider" presents information and another poster (of course claiming inside sources) contradicts the original post. I am starting to disbelieve virtually every "insider".
Yeah...and I could do without all the fluff.

I believe it's coming. Too many people in important positions have indicated as such. The anti-ACC folks like to promote the idea that it's a pipe dream perpetuated by Swofford to prop up ACC membership a while longer before the ACC falls apart, but that disregards the fact that nobody has been more cautious when talking about it than Swofford, even trying to dampen the enthusiasm.

I have no inside sources, but my guess is that it's not about getting a network...it's about negotiating the terms. The network isn't the important thing...the revenue generated by it is the important thing. With the BTN and SECN generating $7-$10M+ a year, an ACC network that generates an additional say $2M in revenue is going to go over like a lead balloon, inside and outside the conference. To say nothing of the PR nightmare that comes with carriage fights. They are not going to make the announcement until, like the SECN, carriage is not an issue.

When I hear Swofford talk about an ACCN, I hear a guy that is trying to negotiate from a place of "We would like this, but we certainly don't need it. Maybe we'll just wait until the end of our contract and explore all the additional opportunities that come with free agency." And meanwhile, everyone behind him is jumping up and down saying "we want it! we'll take it! we need it!" and promising it to their constituents.

I don't know if that's what's happening, but that's me reading between the lines. Let's face it, the ACC is not in a good negotiating position on this. We're locked up. ESPN is happy enough with the current arrangement. How hard a bargain can the ACC actually drive here?

I just don't see the rush. The way I see it, every year we get closer to the end of the contract, the ACC's leverage gets that much better. Every year that football continues to improve, and that basketball starts living up to it's "best conference ever" hype, the ACC's leverage gets better. Does anyone doubt that an ACCN deal would be better today, than if it had been signed two years ago today? Before FSU surged back and basketball stopped underachieving? I feel strongly that time is on the ACC's side here, if people would stop muddying the waters with desperation (looking at FSU's BOT here, among many). Getting a deal that creates $6M per year in 2016 or 2017 is better than making a deal for $2-3M in 2014.

It's also possible that the ACC is trying to blaze a new path here. Right now, the three major conference networks are entirely different models. BTN is a joint venture with Fox. PAC Nets are wholly owned by the conference. SECN is wholly owned by ESPN, who pays SEC to license the content (as is the LHN). The first two are out of bounds for the ACC until the end of the contract. The SECN could be the model...or could something else be the model?

The big question is the digital point. By all accounts the ACC is pretty ahead of the curve on the digital, and like the Raycom relationship or not, they are an asset in that space. But what to do with it? Fact is, those type of services aren't making money. People love the idea but we're nowhere near the point where that's a money maker...see WWE Network referenced above. But how can you leverage it? Maybe by offering it to internet providers as a standalone service they can offer over the internet? Before HBO Go went straight to consumer, it was turning up as an offer from internet providers with internet-only plans. Maybe ESPN has some ideas in that space...as in, no, you can't unbundle our products, but we will offer some programming that you can offer over the top with your internet plans.

I don't know, but I've heard some speculation that the ACC Network won't be simply a duplication of what we've already seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom