Shot selection... | Syracusefan.com

Shot selection...

Easy fixes, talk it over in film. Work on the flow of offense during practice. We have the players this year. We can’t forget we have had limited practices and haven’t had all our starters or let alone 4/5 starters together much at all. We’ll get this figured out sooner rather than later. I’m sure shot selection will be one of the first things addressed during film

Easy fixes, talk it over in film. Work on the flow of offense during practice. We have the players this year. We can’t forget we have had limited practices and haven’t had all our starters or let alone 4/5 starters together much at all. We’ll get this figured out sooner rather than later. I’m sure shot selection will be one of the first things addressed during film
Agreed. Griffin's case is weird though because his rep was that he was this super efficient dude.

I know he wanted more freedom, but... I'd like to see more of the super efficient dude.

Needs to be addressed ASAP. We wasted soo many possessions.

anyone miss the days of the Frank Howard / Tyus Battle high screen iso days? Lol. We’ve flipped 180.
So true. JB isnt calling many set plays. The backdoor Kadary pass was there all night we only ran it once. Marek at the key is good on paper but teams realize he cant shoot so its not ever going to be an effective set.
Running Joe off a weak screen 40 feet from the hole isnt ever going to win games especially since teams know Joe cant go to the rack. Its the equivalent of running a triple option with a qb who cant run. This team needs to run motion. Lots of back cuts, weaves, anything to create motion. We look like an AAU team. We dont actually have an offensive scheme. We take turns chucking 3s. We are an organized mess.

Agreed. Griffin's case is weird though because his rep was that he was this super efficient dude.

I know he wanted more freedom, but... I'd like to see more of the super efficient dude.

With his stroke, athleticism, and lack of handle/passing skills...

there’s zero reason he shouldn’t shoot near 50 % (40%from 3) , with like 1.5 TOs.

That he’s shooting like 30 something percent with a ton of turnovers is all in decision making and being WAY too pressed. He’s gotta find his role.

Imagine Wes shooting like 30 percent with a ton of turnovers? Lol. You can’t...because he did what he was good at and played his role and got picked 4th off of it. Take heed, Alan. Go watch some Wes at Cuse film and take notes and try to copy it.

Still griff had 16 points per 18 shots. At a 50% rate from two, he was only one bucket shy. If Girard gave us a solid 35% from three today, I don't think we would mind griff doing that on off nights. If Girard hit atleast 3-8 every game from 3, with 4 green lights every half I would be happy. The zone rotation was without a doubt a bigger issue today, by a long shot. Loved the passing over the defense tonight, we have the height to do so.

After watching the game a second time That was the worst down the stretch in a close game I have seen Syracuse play in a long long long time. With 4 minutes left They knifed right down the heart of the defense 4 times for a uncontested two (to be fair one of them lead to two foul shots). We fouled twice on the press for and ones (Dolezaj stopped the third one) and they hit a nice kickout uncontested three to make the lead 7 at a point. The offense on the other hand was the same. I think it was 2 turnovers, Another possession that was almost a turnover where Girard missed from 3) 2 missed putbacks by kadari (where he could of got a rebound and reset the offense). Kadaris first 3 attempt of the game down 4 with 3 minutes left from nba range(why?). And a lucky bail out on a loose ball trip for Kadari on what was almost a turnover. Definitely something to take a long hard look at.

Last edited:

He was super efficient playing 18 minutes per game on a shorter leash. That was one of my questions about him going in the season was how much the efficiency would drop playing almost the entire game. I'd like to see some improvement there.

It didn't help (my own sanity) that the announcer was praising these sorts of shots too. Anyone could see how awesome the offense looked when we moved the ball and passed

JG frustrated me way more. The quasi half court shot with 5 minutes left, followed by a foul at the other end, was the beginning of the end. It totally changed the momentum, and then the wheels came off

Agree that Griffin is reckless at times. However, he is a more versatile scorer, and adds a bunch of skills with rebounding/DF. You get the feeling he's going to improve and be a true force

I've been a big fan of JG, especially when he was thrown into the fire last year. Now he seems slower, less disciplined with the shooting, and clearly less of a PG than Kadary. Last year we needed JG more. This year AG is giving us 75% of Eli's production, and lots of improvements and new faces. If you rewind 14 months, no one expected JG to be a 30-40 mpg guy. That is proving to be true now there is depth.

With Buddy back, JG needs to come off the bench. I'm glad there is a thread about it. There will be times Kadary struggles and JG can step to the plate. However, if Kadary and play like a true PG - you have three guys who can knock it down - Buddy, AG, and now even QG! (wow).

Good luck if you think JB is putting girard on the bench at this point. He won't do it

It didn't help (my own sanity) that the announcer was praising these sorts of shots too. Anyone could see how awesome the offense looked when we moved the ball and passed

JG frustrated me way more. The quasi half court shot with 5 minutes left, followed by a foul at the other end, was the beginning of the end. It totally changed the momentum, and then the wheels came off

Agree that Griffin is reckless at times. However, he is a more versatile scorer, and adds a bunch of skills with rebounding/DF. You get the feeling he's going to improve and be a true force

I've been a big fan of JG, especially when he was thrown into the fire last year. Now he seems slower, less disciplined with the shooting, and clearly less of a PG than Kadary. Last year we needed JG more. This year AG is giving us 75% of Eli's production, and lots of improvements and new faces. If you rewind 14 months, no one expected JG to be a 30-40 mpg guy. That is proving to be true now there is depth.

With Buddy back, JG needs to come off the bench. I'm glad there is a thread about it. There will be times Kadary struggles and JG can step to the plate. However, if Kadary and play like a true PG - you have three guys who can knock it down - Buddy, AG, and now even QG! (wow).
Holy chit you are saying Crispin was praising those terrible shots by Girard that preceded the 17-3 run?
OMG by that time I had the game on mute and couldn’t stand to listen anymore.
If I were a local I would lined up my DVR with the radio broadcast.

Those shots killed us. We got beat in transition and Rutgers didn’t have to shoot against the zone while down 4.

Holy chit you are saying Crispin was praising those terrible shots by Girard that preceded the 17-3 run?
OMG by that time I had the game on mute and couldn’t stand to listen anymore.
If I were a local I would lined up my DVR with the radio broadcast.

Those shots killed us. We got beat in transition and Rutgers didn’t have to shoot against the zone while down 4.
Yes - he said it at least twice. Once with JG. Once with AG. Maybe even more times. He was saying how it gets the DF to respect you. Total crazy takes.

Yes - he said it at least twice. Once with JG. Once with AG. Maybe even more times. He was saying how it gets the DF to respect you. Total crazy takes.
That is just insanity long 3’s open any team to transition opportunities the other way against an unset defense.

I mean in the first half I can see that but not the end of the game when teams know who is hot and or not in that game.

Girard’s shots killed our set zone.

I am so glad I muted. That guy made Dan Dakich feel like a mute.

Meh. I'd agree but it should have been addressed last year with Girard. Should have been addressed last year with Buddy. And should have already been addressed with Griffin this year.

Griffin has never seen a shot he didn't like, and I would hate to play with him offensively. That needs to stop immediately.

Ultimately I think you need to take the bad with the good with Griffin. He helps in enough other areas (and I also think he has enough potential to make the shots he's taking) to take some lumps early in the season while he tries stuff.

It's tougher with Girard because he arguably is hurting the team even when his jumper is on due to how bad he is on the other end. When he's off (which he has been more often than not during his time here), he's a team killer.

Meh. I'd agree but it should have been addressed last year with Girard. Should have been addressed last year with Buddy. And should have already been addressed with Griffin this year.

Griffin has never seen a shot he didn't like, and I would hate to play with him offensively. That needs to stop immediately.

Buddy’s shot selection is fine, IMO.

That is just insanity long 3’s open any team to transition opportunities the other way against an unset defense.

I mean in the first half I can see that but not the end of the game when teams know who is hot and or not in that game.

Girard’s shots killed our set zone.

I am so glad I muted. That guy made Dan Dakich feel like a mute.

Yeah, he came BACK to the point he made earlier, about how Girard taking that 30 footer in transition was a good shot, like 10-15 minutes later. Started rambling all over again about how it makes the transition defense have to be accountable for you. I couldn’t believe he made the point the first time, but when he came back to it so much later and just kept rambling...awful stuff.

AG needs to have someone explain to him he’ll never make the league trying to emulate Kobe.

Joe needs a PG to play with so he can play off ball.

Yup. Wes Johnson should be AG’s blueprint...in every single way. D up, hit the boards, run the floor, spot up, and cut to the basket and move without the ball. That should be his entire game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom