Should Cope Be Starting ???? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Should Cope Be Starting ????

Copeland is the bull in the China shop dude. Out of control but athletic to get away with it on many nights. The more structured the game is the harder it is for his game to work.

But you need that as well, he comes in, often against the other teams 2nd level guys and he elevates the pace and that is useful.

If we need to get back into the game his style plays well too.

Some nights though he is gonna get 3 fouls in 5 min the way he is running around.

If we are gonna play all year with offense like we saw the other night we are gonna have some struggles.

The fact that we can actually go 8-9-10 deep with various styles means we can get back into games we play our selves out of.

Just conjecture with little hard data but it seems like JJ is a copy of Judah but less offensive efficiency. Certainly not a true shooting guard. Maybe someone else should be starting at the two, or else play three guards. Justin and Bell, I would not count on.

Just conjecture with little hard data but it seems like JJ is a copy of Judah but less offensive efficiency. Certainly not a true shooting guard. Maybe someone else should be starting at the two, or else play three guards. Justin and Bell, I would not count on.

JJ is a north south player and a catch and shoot guy off the ball.

Judah uses an array of moves and uses his first step to create space or put his man on his hip. They attack very differently both in transition and the half court. They both can create for themselves and others. Thus the whole who is the PG vs who is the SG when on the court together matters none.

I take it you didn’t even watch the other night?

JJ is a north south player and a catch and shoot guy off the ball.

Judah uses an array of moves and uses his first step to create space or put his man on his hip. They attack very differently both in transition and the half court. They both can create for themselves and others. Thus the whole who is the PG vs who is the SG when on the court together matters none.
I think Starling and Mintz are both combo guards. Often, I've seen that used to refer to a guy who's too short to be a traditional shooting guard, but not skilled enough to be a point guard.

I think Mintz and Starling are more of the good kind of combo guard, skilled enough to be a point guard. Creating for others, getting to the basket, scoring from a variety of spots on the floor.

But they're also bigger and taller than traditional point guards, with a little more emphasis on their own scoring.

I think Red left Starling in all 40 this last game because he wanted Starling to get a little more game play playing exclusively as a point guard. And Starling passed the test pretty well. On a closer game, I think he takes his man to the basket a lot more often. In this game, he was playing point guard first, scorer second.

Mintz already had that experience all last season, so we're really going to have two guys with true point guard experience at the same time for most of the games.

It should be awesome.

I take it you didn’t even watch the other night?
Unfortunately, I have not seen JJ play. I am not sure if he can shoot like a shooting guard should. We will need outside shooting. I do not want to count on Taylor and Bell.

The reason why I speculate that Q will become a 3 point threat and JJ will not is because foul shooting is a leading indicator. Q is deadeye from the line. JJ was only 65% last yr.

Last edited:
I like Bell as a starter. A lot of you are getting caught up on his weaknesses as a reason for him not to start, but a strong bench is very important. Also, just because Bell starts doesn't mean he'll finish the game on the floor or will play major minutes. We are only one exhibition game in - as the season develops, the starting lineup and who is in the rotation will change depending on who is playing well and what's needed from game to game. I think that by the 4th or 5th game (excluding exhibition games) Coach A will have a clearer picture on who will be in the rotation and how/when to play guys.

I like Bell as a starter. A lot of you are getting caught up on his weaknesses as a reason for him not to start, but a strong bench is very important. Also, just because Bell starts doesn't mean he'll finish the game on the floor or will play major minutes. We are only one exhibition game in - as the season develops, the starting lineup and who is in the rotation will change depending on who is playing well and what's needed from game to game. I think that by the 4th or 5th game (excluding exhibition games) Coach A will have a clearer picture on who will be in the rotation and how/when to play guys.
There are only so many minutes. And, it is looking like we’ve got at least 10 guys worthy of minutes (when we’re healthy). The best players should play. He was a mess the other night, I hope he bounces back.

Coach A...he's got options.
I saw 2 things from Bell that I didn't see last year(one was already mentioned) . He dove for a loose ball. Second, he got kind of "tight" when Taylor went in and drained some 3s. Bell "pressed" and had a bad night. Hope he learns from that. But it shows the competition that is going on within this team that can only benefit the Orange throughout 23-24.
Options...can you imagine the press Autry can put on with Cuffe, Judah, JJ Copeland and Malik?? And you bring 24,000 out of their seats at the dome, something we haven't seen in years!!
Occasionally, throw in a 2-3 zone with JJ and Judah latching on to the other team's shooting guards( that have killed us in the past) at half court..with Bell Benny and McLeod accross the back?
GMAC and Griff identifying mismatches that Autry can plug in after the 8 minute timeout of each half.

There's talent, athleticism and coaching experience(both good and bad-they've seen it all). IF/WHEN Autry dictates to the other team how that night's game is gonna be played, exploits their weakness, CUSE will be respected once again.

I saw 2 things from Bell that I didn't see last year(one was already mentioned) . He dove for a loose ball. Second, he got kind of "tight" when Taylor went in and drained some 3s. Bell "pressed" and had a bad night. Hope he learns from that. But it shows the competition that is going on within this team that can only benefit the Orange throughout 23-24.
Options...can you imagine the press Autry can put on with Cuffe, Judah, JJ Copeland and Malik?? And you bring 24,000 out of their seats at the dome, something we haven't seen in years!!
Occasionally, throw in a 2-3 zone with JJ and Judah latching on to the other team's shooting guards( that have killed us in the past) at half court..with Bell Benny and McLeod accross the back?
GMAC and Griff identifying mismatches that Autry can plug in after the 8 minute timeout of each half.

There's talent, athleticism and coaching experience(both good and bad-they've seen it all). IF/WHEN Autry dictates to the other team how that night's game is gonna be played, exploits their weakness, CUSE will be respected once again.
Yeah I think we have the guys with the speed, length, and athleticism to make the press a real weapon.

Bell worked hard during the off season to be better and have a game that isn't just spot up shooting. I believe he was tight and anxious which led to a bad night. The good thing is that he doesn't have Coach Boeheim in his ear in a negative way so hopefully with some encouragement and positive energy from the staff, he will relax and play better the next game. We've got a team to be excited about and saw a lot of good things against Dameon even with Judah and Westry out.

Yes.

Not sure why people expect some magical transition from Williams.

3 guard starting lineup with Copeland being the biggest is our best with Bell for shooting and McLeod for size.

I'm not sure the starting lineup shouldn't be Judah, JJ, Justin, Benny and Maliq. Copeland and Mcleod first off the bench. Then have minutes for Cuffe and Bell with whoever is more effective taking the most minutes.

I'm not sure the starting lineup shouldn't be Judah, JJ, Justin, Benny and Maliq. Copeland and Mcleod first off the bench. Then have minutes for Cuffe and Bell with whoever is more effective taking the most minutes.
question is whether this team can build a lead and maintain it, or can play from behind.

We've seen both examples - heck, I've seen other teams do either/or/both - but i get frustrated when we squander a lead based on bench +/- (more minus than plus)... and in other cases, I've been happy when the bench comes in and either plays better against opponents' "second-line" (often smaller lineups), or locks it down.

2003 is one example of a good team. 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12... those teams great.

I think Starling and Mintz are both combo guards. Often, I've seen that used to refer to a guy who's too short to be a traditional shooting guard, but not skilled enough to be a point guard.

I think Mintz and Starling are more of the good kind of combo guard, skilled enough to be a point guard. Creating for others, getting to the basket, scoring from a variety of spots on the floor.

But they're also bigger and taller than traditional point guards, with a little more emphasis on their own scoring.

I think Red left Starling in all 40 this last game because he wanted Starling to get a little more game play playing exclusively as a point guard. And Starling passed the test pretty well. On a closer game, I think he takes his man to the basket a lot more often. In this game, he was playing point guard first, scorer second.

Mintz already had that experience all last season, so we're really going to have two guys with true point guard experience at the same time for most of the games.

It should be awesome.
Agree! Judah is probably the craftier of the two and although not as strong as JJ, he is definitely a better shooter. I was shocked how quick and strong JJ is and he is a great, strong finisher around the rim. I was also very impressed how good a passer he is. Both will be a HUGE problem for smaller point guards, but they are both so quick, I think they will be a problem for all guards. And both seem to be excellent defensively.

Hard to think that there are too many better guard combos across the country, and maybe none better in the ACC.

I personally think he is great off the bench. I would go McLeod, Benny, Taylor, JJ and Judah starting. I like Brown and Coleman coming off the bench and playing decent minutes. I'm not a big Bunch fan and I don't think he provides shooting (34%) last year and I don't think it's going to get better. If Taylor is having an off night I would rather have JJ and Judah shooting 3's which they have hopefully improved on. I'm hoping our defense will generate some points off TO's to off set the lack of shooters.

To sum thigs up. I think everybody agrees three starters should be JJ, Judah, and Benny. I think most are OK with McLeod also being a starter.

That means the viable candidates for the fifth starter position are - Maliq, Cope, Bell, Cuffe, and Justin. Westry could be the guy when he returns healthy.

I think most also feel Maliq is better off the bench to come in as a 4 or a 5 as the game may dictate.

Personally, I think Cope is the best of those players and I am in the corner of playing, fast, hard, aggressive, and trying to play from the lead and I think Cope fills those criteria the best, but I fully understand the desire to get our best shooters out there.

With Cope the only concern I have is a line up with him Judah and JJ all out on the court at once. JJ and Judah are going to be our primary ball handlers/initiators going forward and with the two of them not a guaranteed plus at shooting from any sort of range, is having a third guy out there with similar strengths and weaknesses going to be a problem for spacing the court? If the other two out there are Brown and McCloud then we literally have nobody out there with a fully reliable jump shot from range and teams could exploit that. That is a shame since a line up of Judah, JJ, Copeland, Brown, and McCloud is probably the perfect line up for defense/rebounding/transition.

Copeland is the bull in the China shop dude. Out of control but athletic to get away with it on many nights. The more structured the game is the harder it is for his game to work.

But you need that as well, he comes in, often against the other teams 2nd level guys and he elevates the pace and that is useful.

If we need to get back into the game his style plays well too.

Some nights though he is gonna get 3 fouls in 5 min the way he is running around.

If we are gonna play all year with offense like we saw the other night we are gonna have some struggles.

The fact that we can actually go 8-9-10 deep with various styles means we can get back into games we play our selves out of.
instant energy, the bull in the china shop is a little harsh, on the offensive end he is a little like early Scoop Jardine. Remember it took Scoop three years including one injury year to get really useful. Copeland is a defensive disrupter, a good rebounder and a little out of control. I like him off the bench for now, but he is good enough to start too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom