Should they give Mahoney some series? | Syracusefan.com

Should they give Mahoney some series?

Millhouse

Living Legend
I don't think he can hit the broad side of a barn but I think the tempo is getting to dungey and hurts his efficiency

I don't want to sloww down, they need to do what they are about. But maybe dungey needs a breather

Last edited:
Not going to happen unless Dungey gets taken off on a stretcher. Staff knows Dungey is their guy.

Not going to happen unless Dungey gets taken off on a stretcher. Staff knows Dungey is their guy.
I know that too, everyone knows that. I'm just wondering if this breakneck pace is wearing him out

At least until they can replace him with someone better. Dungey has looked wildly mediocre this season for whatever reason.

If Dungey is their guy going forward until Rex or Tommy is ready then ride him out. The more he plays and the more he throws this year will help him the next couple years.

I said it in the offseason that Dungey needs to work on the strength of his arm. We saw it today on that fourth down pass to Ish. A slant should be gunned low not floating

This will be blasphemy but I'm not sure Dungey is the right QB for this type of offense. All these quick passes and his ball floats. What was with all the side arm throws today too?

This will be blasphemy but I'm not sure Dungey is the right QB for this type of offense. All these quick passes and his ball floats. What was with all the side arm throws today too?

He's done the sidearm thing for awhile now. Think he's better than what we've had in the past but I'm not sure at the ACC level he's good enough. Sad to say and hopefully he gets better (I think he can).

I started a thread about getting Mahoney some playing time after last Saturday. Most on here basically said I was off base. I still think it would be a good idea to throw him in there for a few series every game.

I don't see why throwing him in for a serious hurts anybody. The worst of our problems would be him doing well and creating a QB controversy.

Actually can't see that being a problem at all. So why not?

Agree 100% bees, Rex and Devito will give him run for his $$$. I also would like to see Mahoney get some snaps as I agree with Millhouse, it might do Dungey some good.. I'm not saying bench the kid but he's not playing very well overall. His stats are actually just Ok for Dino ball, the end of the game yesterday was very troublesome, his arm looked dead.

This board kills me- last year everybody was worried how we'd replace the guy after he left early for the NFL. Dungey is taking too many hits to last the season behind a shaky line. His legs were spent and he took a(another) beating yesterday. He needs the big uglies to keep him clean if he wants to finish the game in one piece let alone with any zip on his passes.

This board kills me- last year everybody was worried how we'd replace the guy after he left early for the NFL. Dungey is taking too many hits to last the season behind a shaky line. His legs were spent and he took a(another) beating yesterday. He needs the big uglies to keep him clean if he wants to finish the game in one piece let alone with any zip on his passes.
He looked good in last season system. In his he looks sun standard. It's all about the system. Other then the ball floating all over the place his biggest issue is looking down receivers. He focuses on one and floats and the defense just steps in front of them. Before That long interception i heard at least 5 people in my section say no before he let it go. There are receivers open he just isn't going through his progressions.

He looked good in last season system. In his he looks sun standard. It's all about the system. Other then the ball floating all over the place his biggest issue is looking down receivers. He focuses on one and floats and the defense just steps in front of them. Before That long interception i heard at least 5 people in my section say no before he let it go. There are receivers open he just isn't going through his progressions.
Maybe those 5 people in your section should coach the team. Sub standard? I disagree. He's in his third game in a system his coach says takes years to start clicking, and he's already putting together the best qb stats in program history- just not wins. Right now our main problem is a lack of talent up front on offense and, well everywhere on defense. Dungey won't last the season at this pace and he was clearly worn down by the beating he took yesterday.

I think Dungey took a hit in the second half and hurt his right arm, he came off the field with his arm at his side, and it was after that, the ball started floating

I think the inefficiency comes from getting used to the offense. Dino was asked about it post game and was very free with his praise. Something about being on his way to being a very good QB.

If he has faith in ED, that's good enough for me.

I thought I was pretty clear why I was suggesting it but no one seems to get it. Dungey is miles better than mahoney

Maybe those 5 people in your section should coach the team. Sub standard? I disagree. He's in his third game in a system his coach says takes years to start clicking, and he's already putting together the best qb stats in program history- just not wins. Right now our main problem is a lack of talent up front on offense and, well everywhere on defense. Dungey won't last the season at this pace and he was clearly worn down by the beating he took yesterday.
One of those 5 people was a 34 year old woman that attends 2 games a year and could care less about football.
I would love for Dino to turn it around and I think he will. I just don't think we have the right players for this system. I love dungy. I don't know if it's the hits he has taken or the new system but he is not the same qb he was last year.

Dungey took a turn for the worse when he under threw that first interception in the 2nd quarter. He never recovered from that.

First, he was under throwing all game and on that interception he had his receiver open if he led him to the endzone over the D - it looked like a TD to me. 2nd, his passes were not crisp especially after that interception and also I thought he panicked at times and was leaving the pocket too early.

Honestly I thought for the most Dungey was getting decent protection for most plays. I just thought he wasn't going through his progressions very well and had receivers open and also not letting plays develop. I wonder but is the game still too fast for him?

Finally, what I noticed he was coming off the field taking off his helmet and breathing really heavy very early in the game. I don't if he was sick or not but he was not himself at all this game. Something was not right this game - he wasn't this way at all vs Lville.

Last edited:
No
Dungey is fine. Exacuation is not consitant and that will lead to bad plays. Time is needed to learn and get exacuation down. It's odd that we've all heard this countless times and still don't realize this is GAME 3 of a completely different offense with a sophomore QB.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the offense is that far off.

Eric does seem to get tired as the game goes on, but he's had three games in this offense. It's still better than any offense Syracuse fans have ever seen. We just need to start scoring.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the offense is that far off.

Eric does seem to get tired as the game goes on, but he's had three games in this offense. It's still better than any offense Syracuse fans have ever seen. We just need to start scoring.
We run a hundred plays a game, this isn't a normal if you have two QBs you have none situation . With this defense giving up the most yard per play ever, he might need a rest. It's like a basketball game with a lot of pressing.

We run a hundred plays a game, this isn't a normal if you have two QBs you have none situation . With this defense giving up the most yard per play ever, he might need a rest. It's like a basketball game with a lot of pressing.

I wasn't specifically responding to your OP's premise, but more so the grumbling that he's missing some throws(which he is). He's in the top third of D-1 QB's in QBR, so he is playing above average football.

If he's gassed, idk if we should have him running pass routes.

I wasn't specifically responding to your OP's premise, but more so the grumbling that he's missing some throws(which he is). He's in the top third of D-1 QB's in QBR, so he is playing above average football.

If he's gassed, idk if we should have him running pass routes.
he's 59th in regular old passer rating fwiw

i think he'll get better and end up around 30th when it's all said and done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom