Should they give Mahoney some series? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Should they give Mahoney some series?

One of those 5 people was a 34 year old woman that attends 2 games a year and could care less about football.
I would love for Dino to turn it around and I think he will. I just don't think we have the right players for this system. I love dungy. I don't know if it's the hits he has taken or the new system but he is not the same qb he was last year.
All of the above. New system, same crummy line, and facing superior athletes on Defense in 2 out of first 3 games. Growing pains are to be expected for sure but I don't agree he was a better qb last year.

IthacaBarrel said:
Agree 100% bees, Rex and Devito will give him run for his $$$. I also would like to see Mahoney get some snaps as I agree with Millhouse, it might do Dungey some good.. I'm not saying bench the kid but he's not playing very well overall. His stats are actually just Ok for Dino ball, the end of the game yesterday was very troublesome, his arm looked dead.

I don't see the harm in letting Mahoney take a series or two a game to let Dungey rest and get some perspective. If he's hot let him take more. As far as Rex or Devito pushing Dungey next year, I just don't see it. The amount of game snaps Dungey will take this year will put him miles ahead. Don't forget he is just a true sophomore that has been thrown to the wolves two years in a row. I think it will payoff in the long run.

I don't see the harm in letting Mahoney take a series or two a game to let Dungey rest and get some perspective. If he's hot let him take more. As far as Rex or Devito pushing Dungey next year, I just don't see it. The amount of game snaps Dungey will take this year will put him miles ahead. Don't forget he is just a true sophomore that has been thrown to the wolves two years in a row. I think it will payoff in the long run.
Texas and others bring in a running style qb in certain spots...

I thought I was pretty clear why I was suggesting it but no one seems to get it. Dungey is miles better than mahoney
Your original point was clear, but if Dungey is the guy you don't take him out while the game is still undecided. He needs all the reps he can get and he is way better than Mahoney, especially in this offense.

I think Dungey took a hit in the second half and hurt his right arm, he came off the field with his arm at his side, and it was after that, the ball started floating
I thought that too at first but watching it on replay it looked like his thumb (which can be worse)

for all we know he is missing the correct read 50% of the time? or is it 20%. he missed at least 2 TDs one by running and one by throwing to the wrong guy, but both plays went for a FD so its not all bad.

we dont know if he is making the pre snap read, the post snap progression, but we do know he is making mistakes and still we got 550 yds.. we could have tripled the possessions the last couple of years and not gotten to 500.

Funny that you mention this Millhouse. My son and I were talking about that, particularly when the game got out of hand in the last 2 games. With the concussion protocol , I'm surprised that he's still in till the end of games. I thought Mahoney should have gotten about 5 to 10 minutes at the end. What would everyone's reaction be if Dungey got a career ending concussion down 3 scores in the 4th? Didn't Shafer take grief for it? I would think having the backup quarterback ready and used to game speed, game situations would be a positive in SU's situation (particularly considering past history). I agree that I'm far from an expert but ironic that we had the same conversation.

I agree at times Dungey was getting rid of the ball before plays had fully developed, but it wasn't because of a lack of patience. It was because the pocket was collapsing on him so he had to unload.

I'm definitely disappointed in Dungey to this point but I think he's just a young kid getting used to this scheme. He'll get better.

I think Dungey took a hit in the second half and hurt his right arm, he came off the field with his arm at his side, and it was after that, the ball started floating
True dat

I think Dino is trying to condition him through reps. Otherwise, I would guess that he would either get a blow with a wildcat formation or something else.

We have to beat teams over the last 1.5 quarters, but right now Cuse is still getting worn down.

ED isn't the perfect QB for this O, but he can, eventually, be very good. He was tired and wasn't stepping into his throws. Unless you're Aaron Rodgers, that will end with bad results.

Next year they should have pre-season practices at Colorado Springs to get these guys ready.

love dungey but a change up here and there may help him survive the season. especially trailing big second half.

Growing pains are to be expected for sure but I don't agree he was a better qb last year.

Yep. I see the same guy out there: a good but not great player whose legs are still ahead of his arm. Give him more reps and maybe that changes. If not, next year we'll have Devito and Culpepper challenging him.

The guy has thrown 140 passes in 3 games. He threw 175 in 9 games last year, just to give you an idea of how crazy this offense is. He's probably throwing even more than twice as many as last year in each practice. That's got to wear on you. I'm not sure there's any solution, though, except for more reps.

The guy has thrown 140 passes in 3 games. He threw 175 in 9 games last year, just to give you an idea of how crazy this offense is.
That's awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom