should they widen the court? | Syracusefan.com

should they widen the court?

Millhouse

Living Legend
if we're going to have a 3 point shot, why should the corner 3 be closer to the rim than other 3s?

would the game be better with a wider court?

(i know they're not reconfiguring every arena, i'm just thinking here)

Just leave it alone. The corner 3 is a couple inches closer no need to widen the floor. The 3 pt shot while it helped the game in 1980's has ruined the mid range game completely. Duke/Florida/VCU are teams that chuck 20-30 3pt shots per game. If any change I would make would to make the 3pt line either the FIBA or NBA distance and have the mid range game and 3 ball game.
If you shoot 10 for 30 from 3pt range(33%) it is the same as shooting 15 for 30(50%) from inside the arc. Too many 3 balls are shot in college basketball.

If anything I would like to see is extending the end line. Make the basket extend further over the line giving more room to move. sort of the room behind the goal in hockey. I wouldn't go hog wild, just a foot or so. I know there is a controversy in the pros about the basket station being to close but they can make the upper arm longer with more weight on the bottom.

if we're going to have a 3 point shot, why should the corner 3 be closer to the rim than other 3s?

My answer has little to do with the 3 pt shot and everything to do with players being far bigger, stronger, faster than they were 100 years ago. If you really wanted to have the game be played like it was originally intended you would not only widen the court but also lengthen it and raise the basket about a foot. If you watch the woman's game you can see all the stuff that doesn't work anymore in the men's game because there isn't enough space - give and go's etc.

Leaving the court the same size as the size\speed of players changes is analogous to not indexing something (amt for instance) to inflation.

I would rather the committees and overlords get the rules concerning what is a block and what is charge consistently enforced by the referees!

I would rather the committees and overlords get the rules concerning what is a block and what is charge consistently enforced by the referees!

Yes, please. The game is fine - the foul situation is what is broken.

The court dimensions won't be changed because that would require removing seats and all the teams at every level need the money.

My answer has little to do with the 3 pt shot and everything to do with players being far bigger, stronger, faster than they were 100 years ago. If you really wanted to have the game be played like it was originally intended you would not only widen the court but also lengthen it and raise the basket about a foot. If you watch the woman's game you can see all the stuff that doesn't work anymore in the men's game because there isn't enough space - give and go's etc.

Leaving the court the same size as the size\speed of players changes is analogous to not indexing something (amt for instance) to inflation.
Very interesting take.
Athletes have gotten dramatically bigger, stronger and faster in all sports.
But basketball is the one where the court/field dimensions probably mean those physical changes have the most impact.

If anything I would like to see is extending the end line. Make the basket extend further over the line giving more room to move. sort of the room behind the goal in hockey. I wouldn't go hog wild, just a foot or so. I know there is a controversy in the pros about the basket station being to close but they can make the upper arm longer with more weight on the bottom.

Or make it an island, (with it being a foul to "run your man into it"), and have a lot of behind the goal action like lacrosse.

At the very least the three point line should be uniform at all levels of the sport.

I wouldn't widen the court - as mentioned above, that's not happening - but as I said a couple months ago I'd "make the court longer by moving the baseline on each side of the court so that it is parallel with the basketball stanchion, this would add 6 feet to the offensive area on both sides of the court." I think this would open things up offensively around the basket and beyond.

Very interesting take.
Athletes have gotten dramatically bigger, stronger and faster in all sports.
But basketball is the one where the court/field dimensions probably mean those physical changes have the most impact.

I'm just sick of the referee's interpretation of what's a charge versus what's a block impacting the outcome of a game.

The 3-point arc dimensions is not as relevant as clearly defining the charge-block rules. Ideally, everyone should be able to easily agree as to what the call should be. You would think the NCAA would get a bunch of video clips and come out with training film.

i think they should get rid of the backboards since kids dont how to use them anyway.. float the rim on mini jets like a drone about 6 inches higher, move it out about 20 ft from the baseline and make the lane a circle. it would get rid of all the rough play since the centers wouldnt know where to stand. go back to the real rules so not everyone can cross center court. less dunking more shooting.

I wouldn't widen the court - as mentioned above, that's not happening - but as I said a couple months ago I'd "make the court longer by moving the baseline on each side of the court so that it is parallel with the basketball stanchion, this would add 6 feet to the offensive area on both sides of the court." I think this would open things up offensively around the basket and beyond.
If more offense is the goal then why not just have two balls in play simultaneously?
No sport is doing that...yet.

That could reduce the number of players. That would make the court effectively wider and shrink the payroll, too!

If more offense is the goal then why not just have two balls in play simultaneously?
No sport is doing that...yet.

I'll go along with 2 balls if and only if there's 4 baskets to shoot at.

fly high

ez_wider_d_w.jpg

The game was originally intended to provide exercise in the winter. That's it. It evolved from that to where we are now. The originally intended stuff kills me. If someone was inventing FB now, of course you would want homogenous indoor fields so the best teams won, and outside factors didn't impact the game. The just didn't have the ability to do that then.

I'd move the court to the center of the dome.

Wait--let's table this discussion until two weeks before the Duke game.

Or we could go way back old school type and make the field like the Aztecs had it:
Ancient basketball court.jpg
aztec_basketball.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom