Shout out to Taurean... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shout out to Taurean...

As JB says, we go as John Gillon goes. We have to rely on him. Never put him in the same bucket as Howard & Roberson.

As for our lottery pick, I wonder. He had only 1 made 3, and 2 made inside shots, in 40 minutes. Why? He does not have much of an offensive game. Great shooter when open; great team player.
He has totally sacrificed his game for the team, plus we stink at finding him down low. That said, he needs to be more selfish on offense.

"One of the best shooting freshmen we've ever had. One of the best shooting big guys we've ever had."

he's been fantastic on the offensive end. my one quibble would be that he's a bit of a black hole. he outshoots our lottery pick 2:1 lately.
He definitely is a bit of a black hole, although he had a couple games earlier in the year where he moved the ball really well against a zone defense, so it is in there somewhere, he just needs to tap into it more.

I think this is a bigger sign regarding TL. He needs to want the ball more. I liked that he got mad and screamed at Gillon last night. He should want the ball or want to get a good look EVERY single time down the court. He just doesn't have the killer instinct that I think we all wish he did. I just wish when he got the ball in the paint he would attack the rim. Everytime he goes up, he's always drifting away from the rim.

He definitely is a bit of a black hole, although he had a couple games earlier in the year where he moved the ball really well against a zone defense, so it is in there somewhere, he just needs to tap into it more.

I think this is a bigger sign regarding TL. He needs to want the ball more. I liked that he got mad and screamed at Gillon last night. He should want the ball or want to get a good look EVERY single time down the court. He just doesn't have the killer instinct that I think we all wish he did. I just wish when he got the ball in the paint he would attack the rim. Everytime he goes up, he's always drifting away from the rim.
That's just not accurate. Yeah, he faded on one shot. But he was demanding the ball all night. Gillon can't or won't feed him at appropriate times. You can't establish position on the block any more cleanly than he did last night yet he only got a few passes there and at the right time.

That's just not accurate. Yeah, he faded on one shot. But he was demanding the ball all night. Gillon can't or won't feed him at appropriate times. You can't establish position on the block any more cleanly than he did last night yet he only got a few passes there and at the right time.
Yeah, he fights for position and absolutely it's on Gillon just as much when he doesn't get the ball, and he is in great position. I'm speaking, when he does get a touch right at the rim. I'd like to see him go up through contact and try to finish with some strength. He's drawing fouls a lot of time, which is good, but he definitely could go harder at the rim.

He has totally sacrificed his game for the team, plus we stink at finding him down low. That said, he needs to be more selfish on offense.

Agree the guards are not good at finding Lydon. And let's be clear -- at his size, Gillon is not going to be good at feeding the post, and our 2G rarely helps in that part of the game. The feeds to Lydon might have to come from Thompson and off a drive and feed from Gillon (or Lydon following a miss or doing more when he does have the ball).

Is it accurate that Lydon has sacrificed his game for the team? I see him as a very valuable team player, but in fairness, he is not the scorer that many expected pre-season and he has a lot of areas where he needs to improve. On the perimeter, can he create space for his shot? Does he drive and get a jump shot, or get to the rim? Does he get his share of offensive rebounds for a 6ft 9in forward/center who plays 40 mins/game?

Yeah, he fights for position and absolutely it's on Gillon just as much when he doesn't get the ball, and he is in great position. I'm speaking, when he does get a touch right at the rim. I'd like to see him go up through contact and try to finish with some strength. He's drawing fouls a lot of time, which is good, but he definitely could go harder at the rim.

There was one that he passed out that he could have taken an attempt on, and that was bad, but he got fouled repeatedly last night.

Driving is something he needs to work on this summer. He needs to get quicker, stronger, and more explosive. That one he faded on should have been a dunk (and likely a foul).

There was one that he passed out that he could have taken an attempt on, and that was bad, but he got fouled repeatedly last night.

Driving is something he needs to work on this summer. He needs to get quicker, stronger, and more explosive. That one he faded on should have been a dunk (and likely a foul).
Yes! I can still see the exact one you are talking about here in my head! I wanted him to slam that ball through the net and into Jefferson's face!!! Those are the ones that really get under my skin! Yeah he can't dribble great yet, but he can work on that. Attacking the rim hard is something he is fully capable of doing, but just doesn't do it, unless it's an offensive rebound and put back. It's something he can actually do, but doesn't. That's the thing that gets me about him!

Yes! I can still see the exact one you are talking about here in my head! I wanted him to slam that ball through the net and into Jefferson's face!!! Those are the ones that really get under my skin! Yeah he can't dribble great yet, but he can work on that. Attacking the rim hard is something he is fully capable of doing, but just doesn't do it, unless it's an offensive rebound and put back. It's something he can actually do, but doesn't. That's the thing that gets me about him!

Can we hire Hak as an assistant whatever coach, so he can work with Lydon on how to dunk the G D ball in a guy's grill EVERY. SINGLE. TIME?!!! :cool:

Taurean will probably have the best NBA career out of anyone on this current roster. He will be a stretch four at the next level. He's been great so far. If it wasn't for the zone, I bet his defense wouldn't be that bad.

Taurean will probably have the best NBA career out of anyone on this current roster. He will be a stretch four at the next level. He's been great so far. If it wasn't for the zone, I bet his defense wouldn't be that bad.

His feet are so slow. He'd get crushed playing D against NBA bigs.

I think his extreme length may make up for that. He will have the best NBA career out of anyone on this team though, I'll stick by that. Ive seen too much skill on offense to make me change my mind.

I appreciate his offensive abilities, but this guy is going to frustrate the heck out of me the entire time he's at SU, I just know it. That inbounds play last night in the second half where he allowed Jefferson to catch the ball under the hoop was infuriating. No way should a center ever allow that to happen. Then he just gave up the layup when he should have blocked the hell out of that ball. And the and-1 play he allowed was awful as well. If you are going to foul, get the ball. No old-school 3-point plays allowed.

I thought all of our bigs were putrid on D last night. Roberson was abused three times by...Amile Jefferson. Amile Jefferson! This guy is average until he plays Syracuse. We let him rebound and get shots back up. Same with Giles. I love Robe, but he lacks confidence to finish around the rim. I've never seen a guy with his size and strength look to get rid of the ball when he's within striking distance of the hoop. Even Jeremy McNeil would go up and slam it. If Robe is not rebounding or protecting the lane, he is a liability. But Thompson is a foul magnet, and he isn't ready to lockdown the back of the zone.

you just never know who is going to turn out to be a good NBA player. Yogi Ferrell, who was looking for a place to be a grad transfer last spring, was passed up by every school (including ours) and forced to go pro, where he was signed then waived by the woeful Nets and then passed up by every NBA team. Until the Mavs signed him to a 10 day contract earlier this month, and now he's their starting PG and laying so well that they are going to buy DWill out of his contract.

I tend to err on the side of selling guys short & don't think we have a single NBA player in our rotation, but What do I know? Even the experts have a high miss rate, on both ends of the spectrum

you just never know who is going to turn out to be a good NBA player. Yogi Ferrell, who was looking for a place to be a grad transfer last spring, was passed up by every school (including ours) and forced to go pro, where he was signed then waived by the woeful Nets and then passed up by every NBA team. Until the Mavs signed him to a 10 day contract earlier this month, and now he's their starting PG and laying so well that they are going to buy DWill out of his contract.

I tend to err on the side of selling guys short & don't think we have a single NBA player in our rotation, but What do I know? Even the experts have a high miss rate, on both ends of the spectrum

Wait what? Yogi played 4 years at Indiana. He wasn't eligible to be a grad transfer. If he was, I-m sure about 345 out of 350 plus D 1 teams would have wanted him.

Wait what? Yogi played 4 years at Indiana. He wasn't eligible to be a grad transfer. If he was, I-m sure about 345 out of 350 plus D 1 teams would have wanted him.
yeah, I must have him confused w/ someone else ... I actually thought I'd read it on this forum

point is, nobody thought he was an NBA player, not even most NBA teams, and yet here he is

Last edited:
I thought all of our bigs were putrid on D last night. Roberson was abused three times by...Amile Jefferson. Amile Jefferson! This guy is average until he plays Syracuse. We let him rebound and get shots back up. Same with Giles. I love Robe, but he lacks confidence to finish around the rim. I've never seen a guy with his size and strength look to get rid of the ball when he's within striking distance of the hoop. Even Jeremy McNeil would go up and slam it. If Robe is not rebounding or protecting the lane, he is a liability. But Thompson is a foul magnet, and he isn't ready to lockdown the back of the zone.

Yeah, this was disappointing since Duke has nothing on the interior. It's going to cost us in March, IMO. I'm surprised Roberson had 3 rebounds because he was invisible down there. Thompson just watches. It's crazy. Louisville should be easier to defend but they have some big brutes inside for getting offensive rebounds. Something they couldn't do against UNC last night but feast on agaist Syracuse.

That's the only position I see him at in the NBA. Stretch 4. He's too finesse. Like CuseFaninVT said I think his feet are too slow and NBA bigs would pummel him, imo. It remains to be seen if he can develop the range enough to be a consistent stretch 4 or even if the coaches would let him play like that next year or whenever. He's certainly an interesting player and a pleasant surprise to date. I thought he would be serviceable and getting playing time even before the full season started but his offensive production has far exceeded most peoples' expectations I bet.

Far too slow afoot to play NBA defense. He's is good offensively, in small spaces, with his well polished moves and size, but he would never be as to guard NBA players, especially on the perimeter.

Thompson is NBA. I hope we get him for 2 or 3 more years.

I like the way he bangs up against his defending in the low post trying to make a move to the basket. Next as he bulks up he's going to push the defending back and make that move and shot to the basket. Let's hope he improves his free throw shooting too by next year. He's too good on offense not to be a good FT shooter.

His speed on defense will come over time. I think he's a terrific player and is progressing nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom