Shrader Breakdown Video | Syracusefan.com

Shrader Breakdown Video

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Pretty positive breakdown from a channel called, QB Spotlight. He doesn't know the offense as well and doesn't throw the ball as well but he seems to be better at not getting sacked and has some Dungey qualities. It'll be a good battle in August. I think DeVito starts but Shredder will play against Ohio.

Historically we are at our best when we have a QB who can create off a broken play or some other type of breakdown. I’m pretty excited we finally have options for a backup QB. Not that I don’t like Tommy, but we need multiple back up options

Historically we are at our best when we have a QB who can create off a broken play or some other type of breakdown. I’m pretty excited we finally have options for a backup QB. Not that I don’t like Tommy, but we need multiple back up options
Mobile QBs are on a whole better than pocket passers unless you surround them with great tools. We and most teams struggle against QBs that can beat you with their legs.

Mobile QBs are on a whole better than pocket passers unless you surround them with great tools. We and most teams struggle against QBs that can beat you with their legs.
This leaves out the obvious - mobile guys usually are not as good at throwing. The ones that can do both end up at Clemson and Ohio State.

It's a tradeoff - and one recent events here (and maybe historically) have us biased towards mobile guys. I think we're in good shape with both types this year, just like 2018.

EDIT: For example, I want to see the video of him being accurate on his drop back throws, quick outs, etc. Can he do the stuff we need him to do when he's not running?

This leaves out the obvious - mobile guys usually are not as good at throwing. The ones that can do both end up at Clemson and Ohio State.

It's a tradeoff - and one recent events here (and maybe historically) have us biased towards mobile guys. I think we're in good shape with both types this year, just like 2018.

EDIT: For example, I want to see the video of him being accurate on his drop back throws, quick outs, etc. Can he do the stuff we need him to do when he's not running?
Historically over the last 30 plus years our best qbs have been mobile. Nassib one year was an outlier. The qbs we had in the 80 and 90 were option based but I just think how much they would have also excelled in our current system.

Re: your edit

Same can be said for TD. For whatever reason, his accuracy in game situations has been average at best. Poor protection, improper read(s) etc.

Re: your edit

Same can be said for TD. For whatever reason, his accuracy in game situations has been average at best. Poor protection, improper read(s) etc.
Eh - we can find highlight reels of Tommy making those throws. On time, on the hands. You’re right in that he’s awful when things breakdown.

Shredder seems to be good when things breakdown. I want to see him be accurate and on time throwing when he has protection. If he can do that *and* freelance? Yeah, we’ll see him early.

Eh - we can find highlight reels of Tommy making those throws. On time, on the hands. You’re right in that he’s awful when things breakdown.

Shredder seems to be good when things breakdown. I want to see him be accurate and on time throwing when he has protection. If he can do that *and* freelance? Yeah, we’ll see him early.
You mean like this? I know we don't agree on much but in this regard we do, the comments here are a bit much. It's 3 plays in that video. Check out the 1:00 mark. He steps up in the pocket, makes a perfect throw. Based on THIS video then TD should be the clear starter. Were those clips of Shredder against 1's or 2's? It's going to take alot more than 3 clips to have me clamoring for TD to step down.

Last edited:
Historically over the last 30 plus years our best qbs have been mobile. Nassib one year was an outlier. The qbs we had in the 80 and 90 were option based but I just think how much they would have also excelled in our current system.
I think that’s right, but I don’t think that means we can’t have a guy who slings it accurately from the pocket.

We can thrive with either. And both could use better blocking.

I think that’s right, but I don’t think that means we can’t have a guy who slings it accurately from the pocket.

We can thrive with either. And both could use better blocking.
Again...key word being "accurately".

Again...key word being "accurately".
I didn’t disagree the first time?

If we’re talking about Tommy and not a hypothetical, yeah - he is horrible under pressure which I already said. He must get better at throwing accurately when things are broken down. A better OL will help whoever is the QB.

Pretty sure we’re on the same page

We're Syracuse, we need a QB who can make chicken salad out of chicken **** to be successful. Typically that means needing someone who is mobile, either so they can tuck-and-run, or scramble and find a receiver.

I don't think DeVito is immobile, but he hasn't shown that he can be consistently elusive. I'll trade some degree of accuracy for that.

Last edited:
A few months ago I sifted through all the Mississippi State games and put together every play he was involved in. There's a lot of good.. and bad in there. Only thing I'd say with 100% certainty: he sure as hell won't be boring if given a shot!

A few months ago I sifted through all the Mississippi State games and put together every play he was involved in. There's a lot of good.. and bad in there. Only thing I'd say with 100% certainty: he sure as hell won't be boring if given a shot!

Nice job.
I'm no QB guru, but one thing that stood out to me is that Shrader tends to lock-in on his primary target. When the receiver isn't open, Shrader either tucks the ball and runs, or makes a questionable throw.

Keep this is mind with Shrader. All those highlights are from when he was a true freshman in the SEC. There's a lot of good things to work with. Gotta give the guy some time to gain experience and mature as a QB.

I believe he can with a serviceable online and good coaching.

Great job...anyways go to 5:45 That is what is missing when a play breaks down.

I think at worst, he'll be a solid 2nd stringer this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom