Shrader doesn't throw well enough to beat very good teams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shrader doesn't throw well enough to beat very good teams

Shrader has had the same issues since he got here. He was never going to be Peyton manning.

You can work around it. You cannot work around our lack of talent at WR and OL.

GS didn’t have a good game. A lot of guys didn’t. But the difference is that he can have a good and great game. Other positions cannot.

One thing I'm starting to think is GS has excellent straight ahead speed, but his lateral speed seems to lack. I think or maybe am rationalizing why he can't ever throw the ball away.

hard to judge his season passing numbers becuz of all the drops. but today he wasn't in synch at all . nobody close on several tosses. going all sixth sense and throwing to ghosts.

Last edited:
He was under tremendous pressure today - applied by some great athletes.

His receivers couldn't get separation.

His TD throw to Laquint Allen was really good.

I'm okay with his ceiling,

So you just ignore all his bad passes (the first Brown drop was a yard behind him) (a swing pass to Allen was on the wrong shoulder and spun Allen around to make the catch but had no YAC because of it)….the passes out of bounds to guys who had their coverage beat? Guys were open and he under throws them.

Vs Purdue and Clemson throwing he’s around 30-60 50%.

Stay healthy, beat vt, bc, Pitt, wake, win a bowl game against a decent team and the season will be fun enough

chances are we aren't beating really good teams anyway and he's very good against the teams they can beat so I will forget about this pretty quickly
How much time did he have. Not much. If so he could pass so.much better

So ppl are saying he got mildly concussed on that first drive hit that caused the fumble?

One thing I'm starting to think is GS has excellent straight ahead speed, but his lateral speed seems to lack. I think or maybe am rationalizing why he can't ever throw the ball away.
He’s not quick, but has great vertical speed.

Should have been a close game wasn’t Shrader is part of that but he’s never gonna drill Clemson and have a flawless game.

Wasn’t gonna be his day when the targeting got called back. I think he’s gonna play great vs UNC. Somewhat worried after that bc the wear and tear.

It doesn’t seem like the receivers are able to get a lot of separation and he has to throw it tight windows all the time. Has anybody watched more tape or whatever and is this the case?

That TD throw he had to Allen, with Allen catching it over his shoulder in stride was an absolute piece of art. A delicacy really.

Shrader has a great arm and great touch, he was just off a bit today at times. Being rushed, sacked and abused all game long probably contributed.

The formula for winning this game was probably getting a couple offensive TDs, a defensive TD or at least a very short field TD off a turnover, committing no disastrous turnovers of our own, and pulling out a 21-17 type game.

It wasn’t really that far off from happening. Cut out that pitch fumble which was 100% an unforced error, and either Wax catches the ball and runs it in for a pick 6 or our fumble return doesn’t get blown dead and counts, and don’t attempt a 57 yard FG(and perhaps keep mixing in running plays before that and we might’ve been able to chew up some yards and clock) and we probably win.

We got 2 passing TDs from Shrader. Could’ve been enough if those few plays went our way.

Shrader has a lot of heart but his throwing and decision making was terrible today.
A lot of these things are nuanced. Would Shrader look like a better passer if he felt he could trust his line more? Probably. Would he look better if his receivers could grab those 50/50 balls? Possibly.

His passing game is ok 20 yards and in. Beyond that and it’s a total crap shoot.

The formula for winning this game was probably getting a couple offensive TDs, a defensive TD or at least a very short field TD off a turnover, committing no disastrous turnovers of our own, and pulling out a 21-17 type game.

It wasn’t really that far off from happening. Cut out that pitch fumble which was 100% an unforced error, and either Wax catches the ball and runs it in for a pick 6 or our fumble return doesn’t get blown dead and counts, and don’t attempt a 57 yard FG(and perhaps keep mixing in running plays before that and we might’ve been able to chew up some yards and clock) and we probably win.

We got 2 passing TDs from Shrader. Could’ve been enough if those few plays went our way.
If Wax doesn’t drop that pick 6 and maybe 1 less awful call against us by the zebras I bet we pull ahead or tie and then Clemson drives and the game is decided by their crappy walk on kicker.

I mean Shrader is probably a better WR than any of ours bar LQA or Villari people think he can shake off drops like the Purdue game and just run it in against Clemson? Forget the bad calls there were 4-5 outrageous bad drops today yeah they came on first or second and weren’t huge game changers but they were ridiculous and are gonna throw the QB off.

Are we really blaming the QB here?

This board is spoiled by McNabb…borderline hall of fame QB. We are lucky to have him.

Shrader is a very good collegiate player that isn’t a NFL prospect. He isn’t going to carry a team by himself. Very few players at this level are. In fact, I’m not Caleb Williams could have beaten Clemson today.

I think the frustration is brewing because Clemson wasn’t really the better team. Our turnovers and penalties were a bigger story than GS today.

This board is spoiled by McNabb…borderline hall of fame QB. We are lucky to have him.

Shrader is a very good collegiate player that isn’t a NFL prospect. He isn’t going to carry a team by himself. Very few players at this level are. In fact, I’m not Caleb Williams could have beaten Clemson today.

I think the frustration is brewing because Clemson wasn’t really the better team. Our turnovers and penalties were a bigger story than GS today.
but GS had a couple of those turnovers, no?

When the WRs keep dropping easy passes on their hands why complain about the QB?

These weren’t contested catches today either and most drops were gumballs when no one was close to them.

If Shrader gets dinged up and we keep him in when his arms falling off or he can’t walk like we’ve done in the past sure get on him but we have to go in the the road to undefeated top teams next 2 weeks we’re lucky we have a dual threat that can move the chains when there is nothing there by himself.

We also don’t have the line to spread them out and throw a lot.

Agree that GS isn’t the problem. But you realize Mcnabb was almost 25 years ago, right?

Like there are near 30 year old Syracuse fans that never saw Mcnabb play. Are they spoiled too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom