Shrader doesn't throw well enough to beat very good teams | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Shrader doesn't throw well enough to beat very good teams

I have a feeling that next year we will all wish he had another year. He masks a lot of issues elsewhere.
Is there any scenario where we can offer him enough NIL for a graduate 5th year? Same for OG.

You give Garrett, Ish, Phillips, Neal, and Strickland and this a much better team.
I would say Ish, Philips, and the 2018 oline. I think the difference between Allen and Neal/Strickland is minimal. A stud reciever that plays physical and wins contested catches would make the biggest difference.

I think as of right now Dungey is the better QB and had the better career here. There are also many other factors that go into a team's record. But if Shrader is able to go 6-2 the rest of the way, he will have a minimally better career winning percentage than Dungey as a starter.

VA Tech, BC, Pitt, GA Tech, Wake all look pretty bad this year. It is definitely possible that we win all of those. If we do and also beat either UNC or win our Bowl game, you can argue that Shrader and Dungey are basically the same.

The potential is there, can Shrader stay healthy and achieve it?
Dungey benefits from the staff ruling him out with season ending injuries. Shrader meanwhile played through his throwing arm falling off year 1 and not being able to walk year 2.

He was great last time we went to FSU and I can’t see Shrader not being very effective against UNC but I hope we don’t play him badly injured again.

Not worried about him this week though and kind of like us to come close to an upset. ACC refs aren’t gonna want Maye to lose expect bogus flags.

This thread is a waste of time and space. He’s one of the three best QBs we’ve had in the last 25 years. We’re lucky to have him.
That’s not exactly saying much when your only fringe NFL level talent was Nassib. Perry Patterson, Andrew Robinson, AJ long, Terrell Hunt, Greg Paulus, Troy Nunes, Tommy Devito. If you’re third best, those are the names you’re beating out…

Last edited:
Well we can all have our view but I have seen him In several games being spot on for all lengths of passes with the outcome being winning the game.
Where he places in the NFL draft will give us what “the real” experts feel about his passing ability.

Well we can all have our view but I have seen him In several games being spot on for all lengths of passes with the outcome being winning the game.
Where he places in the NFL draft will give us what “the real” experts feel about his passing ability.

This is a historic draft from the looks of it and there’s a bunch of guys who are accomplished and won’t get called a lot of Sam Hartman 6 year vets finally running out of eligibility.

Can be he fully healthy for the combine? Not sure dude takes a beating. Opening himself up for the enormous hit on the opening drive after picking up the first down was not a good play fwiw.

That’s not exactly saying much when your only fringe NFL level talent was Nassib. Perry Patterson, Andrew Robinson, AJ long, Terrell Hunt, Greg Paulus, Troy Nunes, Tommy Devito. If you’re third best, those are the names you’re beating out…
Sure. But those are the guys we get. We aren’t getting five star QBs here. So, Garrett is pretty close to as good as we get. And he’s exactly the style of QB that helps win games when you are a team on our level. Not loaded with 4/5 star recruits competing for a playoff. We grind, and a QB who can run like Garrett is essential in todays college game (unless you are recruiting like the top few teams).

Sure. But those are the guys we get. We aren’t getting five star QBs here. So, Garrett is pretty close to as good as we get. And he’s exactly the style of QB that helps win games when you are a team on our level. Not loaded with 4/5 star recruits competing for a playoff. We grind, and a QB who can run like Garrett is essential in todays college game (unless you are recruiting like the top few teams).
That’s fine, but the point of the post is that he isn’t good enough to beat top teams, not that he isn’t good at all.

He’s not an NFL qb. If a team sees a use for a Hill type guy he might make a roster. Maybe Baltimore or Buffalo as backup who can match the starter’s style.

He’s a plus athlete. He has a chance getting paid if he wants to do what Villari has done and save a team a roster spot for a third Qb.

That’s fine, but the point of the post is that he isn’t good enough to beat top teams, not that he isn’t good at all.
He isn’t good enough to beat them on his own with his arm. There are very few Qb’s that could. He’s definitely good enough with quality oline play and a good running attack. Clemson took away their strength.

UNC is going to be less able to do that.

Out of curiosity how many people had Clemson penciled in as a win at the start of the season? Maybe one or two of you? I get the disappointment and yeah we all wish things had gone a certain way but I am pretty sure if I had polled the board if they would be happy with a 4 and 1 start, that we would have signed up for that. Season is not over, still lots of good football left and who knows, maybe surprisingly we show our A game at UNC next and get back on track.

I agree. this thread is dickish.

Out of curiosity how many people had Clemson penciled in as a win at the start of the season? Maybe one or two of you? I get the disappointment and yeah we all wish things had gone a certain way but I am pretty sure if I had polled the board if they would be happy with a 4 and 1 start, that we would have signed up for that. Season is not over, still lots of good football left and who knows, maybe surprisingly we show our A game at UNC next and get back on track.
At the risk of being dickish, I didn't have this penciled in as a win in part because I don't think we throw the ball well enough to beat really good teams. I wasn't surprised or the slightest bit upset and I am still hopeful they have a pretty successful and fun season thanks to their talented QB

Shrader has a really big family, it seems

Last edited:
I don't think his placement in the draft will tell us much about his passing ability because i'll score the same as him and he's definitely better than me

I have no problem admitting that I did. Never thought it would be "easy," but throughout the entire offseason I thought we were going to get them. I genuinely believed that we could play with them [and certainly on defense, that was essentially true] -- but we had a C- type of offensive performance, and gifted them some early scores. That doesn't cut it.

Missed opportunity, but not the end of the world. But yes, I had that game circled on the calendar, and have been steadfast about expressing my belief that we were going to get them all offseason / preseason / into the season.

I have no problem admitting that I did. Never thought it would be "easy," but throughout the entire offseason I thought we were going to get them. I genuinely believed that we could play with them [and certainly on defense, that was essentially true] -- but we had a C- type of offensive performance, and gifted them some early scores. That doesn't cut it.

Missed opportunity, but not the end of the world. But yes, I had that game circled on the calendar, and have been steadfast about expressing my belief that we were going to get them all offseason / preseason / into the season.

I thought that we could nip Clemson or UNC.

If we played a clean game, that game is totally different.

Saying we could win isn't outrageous before the season, imo. I don't think your prognostication was unwarranted or irrational.

Sorry brother. I see HS kids catch a 4 yard toss on their back shoulder every day. You are making more out of it than it really is.
It should’ve been caught, no doubt.

2 bads make a horrible play.

It wasn’t perfect but it hit him in the hands.

If I dropped that ball in high school I would have got crap from the coaches and would have been pissed at myself.

Was it ideal? No. Did his hands touch the ball? Yes. Does that mean he should have secured it? Absolutely.

A pitch like that doesn’t mean you fumble, it means you aren’t getting as many yards up field bc you’re not catching it in perfect stride.

LQA 100% saw the defenders ready to eat his lunch and lost concentration.

Bad pitch by Shrader. No doubt. But Allen has to pull that in.
IF clemson defenders weren't right there LQA catches it, and needs to catch it either way. That said GS didn't help with what would not be described as a text book pitch.

IF clemson defenders weren't right there LQA catches it, and needs to catch it either way. That said GS didn't help with what would not be described as a text book pitch.
Maybe it was a bad play call if the defenders were right there.

Another thing that would help is if meathead football coaches were smart enough to know not to throw the ball backwards

Hmm throwing forward is towards where we want to go and if we screw up, we get to try again

Throwing backwards is farther from where we want to go and if we screw up, the other team gets the ball

Another thing that would help is if meathead football coaches were smart enough to know not to throw the ball backwards

Hmm throwing forward is towards where we want to go and if we screw up, we get to try again

Throwing backwards is farther from where we want to go and if we screw up, the other team gets the ball
Well, in that type of play, if you throw forwards it means the player is facing the wrong way or the ball hits him in the back. Pitching backwards on an option play isn't a negative if done correctly and in the right situation.

At the risk of being dickish, I didn't have this penciled in as a win in part because I don't think we throw the ball well enough to beat really good teams. I wasn't surprised or the slightest bit upset and I am still hopeful they have a pretty successful and fun season thanks to their talented QB

Shrader has a really big family, it seems
yes, yes, yes. You are smart. We get it. I can imagine though if SU beat Clemson you would not be telling us how wrong you were.

Well, in that type of play, if you throw forwards it means the player is facing the wrong way or the ball hits him in the back. Pitching backwards on an option play isn't a negative if done correctly and in the right situation.
Leaving the ball on the ground for someone to pick up and run with isn't negative if done correctly and in the right situation
The risk reward sucks which is why people started handing off when the read option took over and when the jet sweep took off

yes, yes, yes. You are smart. We get it. I can imagine though if SU beat Clemson you would not be telling us how wrong you were.
Imagine whatever you want

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom