Slightly OT: SU Tuba's 2017 | Syracusefan.com

Slightly OT: SU Tuba's 2017

jr4750

All American
sutomcat I count 10? How does that stack up vs seasons past?

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 12.14.35 PM.png

Syracuse Welcome 2017 in Photos

Be on the lookout for some changes as the season goes on with a new marching band director from the University of Minnesota.

Be on the lookout for some changes as the season goes on with a new marching band director from the University of Minnesota.

More tubas??

I think we where down to 5-6 last year so big step up.

Did our old director move on to a better gig? He used to post here, seemed like a good dude.

The only time I haven't liked tubas or the tuba count was when I was at an OU home game vs. OSU (Oki State, not tOSU). Our seats were the row behind the visitor band, right behind the tubas. To their credit the band members were respectful and except when playing, kept their instruments down so people could see.

However, when OSU scored, the tubas, alone, played the two-note bumm-bumm, over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, then the OSU fans finished with "Here we go again." Very annoying.

I think we where down to 5-6 last year so big step up.
Yes, we haven't had double figure tubas in a couple of seasons. 12 or 14 would be better but given where things have been, I would be glad to see 10 tubas for CCST.

Did our old director move on to a better gig? He used to post here, seemed like a good dude.
Great guy. Justin Mertz has moved on to the University of Northern Iowa. Best of luck to him there. I think he did the best he could with what he had to work with.

Not sure exactly what happened but it looks like a great candidate was out there available and Syracuse snapped him up. I think it is a signal SU is serious about improving the SUMB.

The new director, Tim Diem, was highly respected as the band director at Minnesota, but he stepped down in 2016 after his wife died. Looks like he is ready to lead a band again.

History Made Today By Two Big Band Programs

Great guy. Justin Mertz has moved on to the University of Northern Iowa. Not sure exactly what happened but it looks like a great candidate was out there available and Syracuse snapped him up. I think it is a signal SU is serious about improving the SUMB.

The new director, Tim Diem, was highly respected as the band director at Minnesota, but he stepped down in 2016 after his wife died. Looks like he is ready to lead a band again.

Thanks Tomcat! Can't wait to see what we got.

And good luck, Justin! Stay Orange!

This thread reminds me of my career in the SU Marching Band. I came from West Genesee and drum corps and was used to a more precision, military style. My first rehearsal with SU started with calisthenics then learning dance moves. Fred Gebhardt who was a legendary color guard instructor that I worked with at WG and the Syracuse Brigadiers was working with the SU guard that year. At the first break I went up to him and said "Mr. Gebhardt, I just don't think this is for me." He said "Frankly you lasted about 45 minutes longer than I thought you would!" Took my trumpet, headed home and spent the next four years sitting in my concrete seats in the student section in Archbold. I did play 3 years in the SUY Jazz Ensemble under Steve Marconi incluyding a couple of summer sessions after graduation with Danny Schayes on trombone.

Great guy. Justin Mertz has moved on to the University of Northern Iowa. Best of luck to him there. I think he did the best he could with what he had to work with.

Not sure exactly what happened but it looks like a great candidate was out there available and Syracuse snapped him up. I think it is a signal SU is serious about improving the SUMB.

Anthony once told him he wanted the band to be 500 members and Justin laughed and said i've been trying to do the same thing since day one. Would love to see that get back there and have Justin back. Fantastic guy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom