So basically barring grad transfers we have THREE scholarship guards on the roster | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

So basically barring grad transfers we have THREE scholarship guards on the roster

Yea but in most years our third and fourth guards are big recruits waiting their turn. Triche,Dion, Scoop, Mcw etc...the third guard right now is a rail thin pg whose years away from being a main contributor
Disagree. I think Washington is under the radar but I'm typically wrong

Triche was a fringe 4 star on his best day, injured or not. I like him as much as anybody, but let's not oversell what he was.

Andy is one of my favorite players to ever wear orange. He was not a PG, though. He was an excellent shooter/scorer, which Frank will not be, but Frank is actually the better distributor despite all of his issues on and off the court.

Battle being in consideration for ACC POY is not far fetched.

Brandon was not a fringe 4 star player at his best. Everyone was checking in on him with high interest his freshman/sophomore years before he got hurt his soph season. Then lots of schools came back and watched him as a Junior before he fully trusted his knee and saw him a step slower and crossed him off their list. His senior year when he was more fully recovered plenty of college coaches knew we were getting a stud.

Not going to debate semantics of if Andy was the 1, 2 or combo guard. Andy was a great basketball player and did a lot of things for us on the floor. Frank to this point hasn't shown the ability to have that impact on the game.

Battle winning ACC POY is IMO the far most likely to happen of the 3 scenarios between that, Howard Washington being similar to Scoop or Brandon next season or Frank being as productive as Andy.

Disagree. I think Washington is under the radar but I'm typically wrong

Watched Washington play a few times late in the season. He's not a penetrator and distributor. From what I saw, he's more of an off guard than a point. If we only have 3 guards next year, he plays 5-10 minutes a game out of necessity. If we land another serviceable guard -- or better -- he sits.

Brandon was not a fringe 4 star player at his best. Everyone was checking in on him with high interest his freshman/sophomore years before he got hurt his soph season. Then lots of schools came back and watched him as a Junior before he fully trusted his knee and saw him a step slower and crossed him off their list. His senior year when he was more fully recovered plenty of college coaches knew we were getting a stud.

Not going to debate semantics of if Andy was the 1, 2 or combo guard. Andy was a great basketball player and did a lot of things for us on the floor. Frank to this point hasn't shown the ability to have that impact on the game.

Battle winning ACC POY is IMO the far most likely to happen of the 3 scenarios between that, Howard Washington being similar to Scoop or Brandon next season or Frank being as productive as Andy.

Triche was a 4 year, consistent contributor who was a good defender and usually the 3rd or 4th best scoring option on his teams. He is or was the winningest player in Cuse bball history. That's not a career to scoff at, but it's also not the career of a 'stud'. Studs typically leave early (which was never a viable option for him), especially those who started their careers well into the OAD era like he did. Triche was a jack of all trades, master of none kind of player. Who, again, I liked a whole bunch.

I'll help with the semantics. Andy's minutes primarily came at SG and even SF for the first 3 years of his career and then he made the switch to PG for his senior year out of necessity. He was an okay player his first two seasons, and a pretty good but not great player his last two seasons. Nobody predicted Andy was going to have the impact he ultimately did after his sophomore season; a lot of people were still calling him a waste of scholarship at that point. And he wasn't an elite shooter until his senior year. Frank has/had head issues. If he continues to be a head case, yes, he'll be a cancer to the team and not be as productive as we need. If he settles into a role with the team and builds chemistry with the other guys, he could have an on-court impact similar to upperclassman Andy Rautins.

Triche was a 4 year, consistent contributor who was a good defender and usually the 3rd or 4th best scoring option on his teams. He is or was the winningest player in Cuse bball history. That's not a career to scoff at, but it's also not the career of a 'stud'. Studs typically leave early (which was never a viable option for him), especially those who started their careers well into the OAD era like he did. Triche was a jack of all trades, master of none kind of player. Who, again, I liked a whole bunch.

I'll help with the semantics. Andy's minutes primarily came at SG and even SF for the first 3 years of his career and then he made the switch to PG for his senior year out of necessity. He was an okay player his first two seasons, and a pretty good but not great player his last two seasons. Nobody predicted Andy was going to have the impact he ultimately did after his sophomore season; a lot of people were still calling him a waste of scholarship at that point. And he wasn't an elite shooter until his senior year. Frank has/had head issues. If he continues to be a head case, yes, he'll be a cancer to the team and not be as productive as we need. If he settles into a role with the team and builds chemistry with the other guys, he could have an on-court impact similar to upperclassman Andy Rautins.

Triche had the body and temperament to contribute right away in college which was huge for us. He was listed as the PG as a freshman but Andy ran that offense just as much when he was in the game and Scoop was the PG when he came off the bench. Andy was super that season, Scoop was dynamic as a change of pace off the bench and Triche was steady and dependable for a freshman. It worked very well. Triche was a good player for our system that played great defense and provided long term guard stability.

Andy didn't switch to PG his senior year. But he had the ball in his hands a lot because [1] he was versatile enough to do so, [2] Triche wasn't a legitimate lead guard, more of a combo, and [3] because that team didn't rely upon a traditional lead guard to facilitate half court offense as much as other team's we've had, because it was tremendously balanced and had better interior passing than perhaps any other team in program history.

Rautins handled the ball that year a ton. He also facilitated a lot of offense. But he wasn't necessarily the PG, nor did he shift to that spot. When Scoop was in the game, he was the point guard. When Triche was, he was the point guard.

Triche was the second leading scorer on a 30 win ff team that was also our best defensive team ever. You're underselling him and continuously overselling our current talent.

I think if a freshman is able to come in and start from Day 1 playing major minutes on what was arguably the best team in the country than you brought in a stud. I could list plenty of guys who were studs at the college level that weren't OAD or left early.

You missed my point on Rautins. It's not that I don't remember where he stood in the zone it's that I don't care. It's irrelevant to me because Andy was versatile and able to do many things to help the team win. I'm saying in the 2009-2010 season he was a great basketball player. You can play the if this and if that game all you want in trying to spin the outlook for next year but I think it would be wishful thinking to expect Frank to have the same impact on the game next season as Andy did in 2009-2010 - which was your argument.

I trust and love Dasher's inside knowledge but that kid would look real weird flip flopping one day after Zags reports he isn't reclassifying.

I don't think Zags hates our program so he wouldn't do that.

Ayala IMO is gone for next year. We are now going after grad transfer PGs now I believe.
Zags is an idiot Kentucky shill. The end.

Comparing Brandon Triche in HS to Howard Washington in HS is goofy. BT was clearly the superior player. There's no comparison. Anyone that thinks there is has never watched basketball.

I think if a freshman is able to come in and start from Day 1 playing major minutes on what was arguably the best team in the country than you brought in a stud. I could list plenty of guys who were studs at the college level that weren't OAD or left early.

You missed my point on Rautins. It's not that I don't remember where he stood in the zone it's that I don't care. It's irrelevant to me because Andy was versatile and able to do many things to help the team win. I'm saying in the 2009-2010 season he was a great basketball player. You can play the if this and if that game all you want in trying to spin the outlook for next year but I think it would be wishful thinking to expect Frank to have the same impact on the game next season as Andy did in 2009-2010 - which was your argument.
Washington will be lucky to sniff the court. Triche was a 4 year/Day 1 starter. The end.

That is unbelievable. JB should be getting hammered for this.

I can't stress how crazy this is. Our roster management is a mess. Yet we have people criticizing people who dare question this HC and GMac's management without Hop.

Well Hop was one of the coaches reaponsible for helping putting us in this mess... its not like if he was here it would all be changed. The only coach that should be given leeway is Griffin because he didnt help put us in a position with no point guard

Triche was a fringe 4 star on his best day, injured or not. I like him as much as anybody, but let's not oversell what he was.

Andy is one of my favorite players to ever wear orange. He was not a PG, though. He was an excellent shooter/scorer, which Frank will not be, but Frank is actually the better distributor despite all of his issues on and off the court.

Battle being in consideration for ACC POY is not far fetched.
Frank is not better at any aspect of basketball than Andy Rautins. Not one.

Washington will be lucky to sniff the court. Triche was a 4 year/Day 1 starter. The end.
Washington has to play. The alternative is Frank Howard. Michael Edwards and James Theus would play ahead of FH, if they were here.

I think Frank will be much better next year and still have no idea how that's even up for debate.
I agree, but not because I'm sold on him making a huge jump, but I find it hard to believe he could be any worse!

Washington has to play. The alternative is Frank Howard. Michael Edwards and James Theus would play ahead of FH, if they were here.

No he doesn't and no they wouldn't. We desperately need a door #3 option.

He does not have to play and I don't think he will. JB will be securing at least one more guard.

I think Frank will be much better next year and still have no idea how that's even up for debate.
I agree mostly because he can't be any worse, right?
If he can continue improving his J, tighten up his handle and playing hard on D, he can be passable. I just don't see much more from him than that. Hope he's a good teammate and plays hard, at least.

I agree mostly because he can't be any worse, right?
If he can continue improving his J, tighten up his handle and playing hard on D, he can be passable. I just don't see much more from him than that. Hope he's a good teammate and plays hard, at least.

From what I've heard and seen in his play from Frank I think he's a kid who will benefit from feeling like he isn't looking over his shoulder each mistake. The roster as is he's clearly the point guard for next season and I think even if Ayala were to come he would get a majority of the minutes.

He is talented and if he's playing with confidence he can be a decent shot maker and creator for some of our talented finishers we'll have in the front court. Mainly last year I thought he just was a mess mentally and lost all confidence then his play never really recovered.