So Greg Marshall, Sean Miller and Kevin Ollie are better coaches than JB | Syracusefan.com

So Greg Marshall, Sean Miller and Kevin Ollie are better coaches than JB

I'm trying not to be the stereotypical over-sensitive SU fan here, but I've stop paying attention to that list. Based on these rankings, the criteria must have been: the coaches whose teams had the best seasons last year, except for John Beilein and Coach K, because we love them (by the way, I thank that Beilein and K are great coaches). There's no way that the fact that JB has insulted more than half the basketball staff at espn over the years doesn't play into this.

I'm trying not to be the stereotypical over-sensitive SU fan here, but I've stop paying attention to that list. Based on these rankings, the criteria must have been: the coaches whose teams had the best seasons last year, except for John Beilein and Coach K, because we love them (by the way, I thank that Beilein and K are great coaches). There's no way that the fact that JB has insulted more than half the basketball staff at espn over the years doesn't play into this.

I think there are valid criticisms one could objectively make about JB, but I agree with your point in the main about this being mostly about last year.

If the same analysis had been done in, say, 2013, I think we can reasonably expect that JB [coming off of a final four season] would have been rated significantly higher than 12.

JB isnt the only slight on that list. Thad Motta and Jay Wright are like 19-20 (or 18-19) on the list and i would put them both in my Top 13. Based on criteria i think, Pitino, Cal, Donovan, K and Izzo are the top 5 in that order on my list. Then in some order is Self, JB, Wright, Motta, JB at Michigan, Ollie and Williams

People in the media suffer from the what have you done for me lately disorder, let me see those guys do it over the long haul before I put them even near jb.

Miller is definitely a better coach than JB. No on the other two.

Put simply, nobody is going to read or comment on the list unless you make it stupid. That's how the internet works; you get more traffic for putting up ridiculous stuff than you would if you put up accurate stuff. Google is still trying to figure out how to get the top search results for celebrities to bring up relevant info about their careers rather than the most recent TMZ article or nudie pics.

People in the media suffer from the what have you done for me lately disorder, let me see those guys do it over the long haul before I put them even near jb.

It's made pretty clear that recency factors into it heavily.

It's a Subjective ranking. I would have ranked him about for spots higher but I won't lose sleep over it.

These rankings make more sense at least than the one at ESPN which seems to be heavily based on just last season.

He is? I must have missed the championship that he won

And the gold medals. And the 800 or so wins that separate him from JB.

The list is crap. Even a logical UConn fan would never have Ollie on that list ahead of JB, just like he'd never be ahead of Calhoun.

And the gold medals. And the 800 or so wins that separate him from JB.

The list is crap. Even a logical UConn fan would never have Ollie on that list ahead of JB, just like he'd never be ahead of Calhoun.

I don't know. I'm not entirely sure that Ollie will ever lose a NCAA game. Ever.

:)

JB should be in the top 5/6. Period.

Coach K, Pitino, Calipari, Izzo, Billy D and the UNC scholar/coach are the only one you can really say could be higher.

I repeat, the voters in this poll have total of ZERO wins as coaches. Hit the Ignore Button.

I have 0 problems with the list. Think it may be generous.

I'm surprised Archie Miller isn't top ten. Isn't he 1-0 vs JAB. I refuse to even open the link. Those lists are great for off season if you have no other life.

I think fans are way to sensitive about these sorts of pointless ratings. I'm sure Boeheim doesn't lose any sleep over this kind of stuff.

I haven't noticed too many people getting upset about it. These lists are like any other kind of arbitrary rankings. They're fun to argue about. People used to do this sort of thing over beers, now we do it on the internet. I'm sure you're right that JB could care less about what espn sportswriters think of him, but debating who are the best coaches in college basketball seems like a good diversion during the off season. Other than the fact that espn is totally totally wrong. ;)

I repeat, the voters in this poll have total of ZERO wins as coaches. Hit the Ignore Button.
Yeah it's like when you're at the grocery store and you pick up two apples. One is bruised and has some unidentifiable insect bits and one is an attractive color and firm. I'm sure that you say to yourself, Well, since I'm not an apple, I have zero qualifications to determine which of these apples is the better apple. So you buy and eat both and get the trots from the first one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom