So...how inspired are YOU as we approach August? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So...how inspired are YOU as we approach August?

How would you qualify YOUR level of excitement in the pre-season?

• Juiced beyond my ability to function

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Excited but still manage to get to work

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Paying attention but ask again when the season actually starts

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • Meh...if they go 5-0 I may get one of my kids to follow the team

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
I've never seen Broyld's work ethic questioned? Maybe his ability to pick up the plays, but is that work ethic? I know one thing when the game is going Ashton is one of the best competitors on the field.
Practice? We talkin' about practice?

I'm pretty pessimistic. I see yet anther season where we will struggle to put points on bad teams and I expect to nor stay within 30 points of a good team. Basically HCSS's MO the last two years. I don't anticipate watching too many of the games live, not worth my time.

I'm optimistic. I honestly think we're going to see a bounce back year from Hunt / the offense. Last year was a perfect storm of injuries and ineptitude. We'll find out soon if it was a one-off or whether the offensive coaching staff is in over their head.

OrangeFoo said:
I'm pretty pessimistic. I see yet anther season where we will struggle to put points on bad teams and I expect to nor stay within 30 points of a good team. Basically HCSS's MO the last two years. I don't anticipate watching too many of the games live, not worth my time.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Orijinal said:
Breaking down why I'm inspired and uninspired: Uninspired: *Perpetual mediocrity of Syracuse Football in last 15 years *Having a defensive coordinator as head coach (although I really do love Shafer) *Terrell Hunt is leading offense--Top tier runner but deep ball leaves something to be desired. Not convinced about his character (the punch heard round the world last year) *Depth behind QB, Safety, and Defensive tackle *Ashton Broyld's work ethic *An inexperienced BCS offensive coordinator who could not get players to work with the playbook they had the last 8 games of the season *An offensive line coach that had never really coached an offensive line until last year *Phil Steele calling LSU his #1 surprise team *Florida State *Clemson Inspired: *A Shafer and Bullough-run defense *Kayton Samuels *Steve Ishmael *Brisly Estime *Enoicy and Custis *Dontae Strickland *Rodney Williams *Zaire Franklin *Hunt's run ability *Young Corners *Aaron Roberts *Ervin Philips *Lester is running his own offense (And I like Lester as a person) *A dedication to tackle and tight end blocking *The games before LSU comes to town * The unveiling of statues at 44 plaza

They didn't have that playbook. It was Mcits.

I am extremely excited for the season to start. I am finally back in CNY after being gone since 1995 (Griffiss closed), I have my season tickets and I will finally be able to participate in the Fine lot tailgating festivities. I also believe the team will surprise many people this year. If we can stay healthy I think we will go bowling and will get a surprise win. I start my new job on Monday over at Rome Labs and can't wait to get back to a routine that includes some good Syracuse football.

I will believe we are on a path to greatness up until our first 3 and out. At that point I will proclaim that we will never win again as I throw something across the room. Once Hunt throws or scrambles for a TD I will declare him a Heisman candidate.

Rinse. Repeat.

Excited to see this team (and Hunt and Broyld in particular) earn back respect. Worried about all the new faces on defense. There will be big scores in our games for a change - hoping some of them are for the good guys.

Every team is 0-0 at this point, with a chance for a bowl if things come together. Even Wake, even us.

I'm a summer guy. It's where I live. I see fall, winter and spring as a long journey to get back home. I'm never anxious to leave. July is my favorite month: winter is the best combination of a distant memory and a remote possibility.

Football is a nice compensation for the loss of summer. I have to admit that I am beginning to think about what I want to say in my annual SU football preview- as I push my lawnmower across the old estate.

Really? That is so sad to hear - so joyless.

Hard to describe my emotional state. It is part of my habit and identity to represent and watch SU football, so in that respect I'm committed. That said, am I excited? No, not really. It's fair to expect more of the same, and there hasn't been much to inspire from our same. I really, really want to be wrong and be surprised. Just can't get hyped up about the high probability of rock fights.

This post ought to be somehow pinned. It succincttly represents the prevailing attitude of football fans in the Northeast. Watching a team struggle against bad teams, and lose badly to good teams, (e.g. last season) is NOT entertaining. And if a team is not entertaining, why waste your time and $$ on a ticket? So, the next time anybody suggests that attendance woes will be solved by, oh..., more frequent reporting of out-of-town scores on the jumbotron or replacing pee troughs with urinals, we can refer them to this post.

Really? That is so sad to hear - so joyless.

That's what the last decade or so of craptitude has done for me. Fall used to be my favorite times of the year and Syracuse football a big part of the reason why. I want to believe but I see a program led by coaches who are either not smart enough (grob) or think they are smarter than everyone else (marrone) or overly reliant on emotion than tactics (HCSS). I've also seen too many coaches totally ignore the trends of college football and try to go the opposite direction.

I've been watching college football since the 80s... I know when I smell a skunk and I definitely smell something really bad with this coaching staff. Everyone can say... "but but coach mac" and I can say at least he acted like a competent head coach more often than not even though the records didn't show it. Also he didn't live in the shitshow that college recruiting has turned into today.

I pray for a .500 season but I am pretty skeptical its going to happen.

One other point... my twitter feed has somehow gotten susbscribed to r!v&ls tweets and it's so disheartening to see the talent our peer groups are pulling in (BC/Pitt/Louisville) compared to us. FSU/Clemson and to a certain extent Miami or on another planet from us in terms of recruiting. Again I find it hard to be enthusiastic that we are competing for nothing better than 3rd place. If college football is really turning into Kings and the Serfs then I will probably stop watching. But I get the sense that there is more parity in college football than ever but Syracuse football can't get out of it's own way enough to take part.

smile-to-frown-o.gif

I will believe we are on a path to greatness up until our first 3 and out. At that point I will proclaim that we will never win again as I throw something across the room. Once Hunt throws or scrambles for a TD I will declare him a Heisman candidate.

Rinse. Repeat.
what he said!