So I guess senior guards matter in the tourney | Syracusefan.com

So I guess senior guards matter in the tourney

Senior guards certainly do matter. G and Cooney deserve a lot of credit for their play, especially G for his ability to put us on his back so often this season while playing a position that no one imagined he could play two years ago.

That said, Virginia had senior guards, too.

They didn't have a player with NBA-level offensive moves that could take the game over when needed. Thankfully, we have such a player. He's a freshman.

It's a happy night around here, but Gbinije had a rough game tonight and was a few free throws away from being the goat after heaving up that three 1 second into the shot clock and fouling Roberson out. Glad he gets to move on and I bet he'll play well on Saturday.

Cooney had a really nice game, though.

TC has not gone white hot for some time - I hope he does on saturday.

Who woulda thunk that having guys at guard that had been through some highs and lows would pay off?

Super impressed by how smart G and Cooney have played this whole tournament.

Cooney really played within himself vs Gonzo and that made the difference in that game. He only had one shot tonight, when the game was tight towards the end he drifted left on a medium range jumper and airballed it, that I had a problem with. Shot selection is the only thing anyone could ever really complain about with him, and he's reeled it in when it matters most.

G and Cooney are a big time backcourt and both have the ability to go off but Richardson is that dude. Only player in the Final 4 who is more electric is Buddy Hield. Total X factor.

Cooney really played within himself vs Gonzo and that made the difference in that game. He only had one shot tonight, when the game was tight towards the end he drifted left on a medium range jumper and airballed it, that I had a problem with. Shot selection is the only thing anyone could ever really complain about with him, and he's reeled it in when it matters most.
His speed and defense this tournament have been almost impossible to believe.

TC has not gone white hot for some time - I hope he does on saturday.

I have a theory about Cooney. He kept crying inside about his final game as an Orangemen. Now he's just one game away from it's not going to matter. I think he plays really well the next 2 games.

I have a theory about Cooney. He kept crying inside about his final game as an Orangemen. Now he's just one game away from it's not going to matter. I think he plays really well the next 2 games.
Hard to tell how these kids think, but I said on selection Sunday we are playing with house money. Now Cooney played well in the 2 most important games of his life, he may just loosen up just enough to start draining.

Hard to tell how these kids think, but I said on selection Sunday we are playing with house money. Now Cooney played well in the 2 most important games of his life, he may just loosen up just enough to start draining.

He was a wreck on senior day. He hasn't play well on offense for a long time until the last 2 or 3 games. I'm hoping he loosens up. He's pretty much cemented a great career reputation just being on this team getting to a final four. I hope he comes out on fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom