So if Sean Tucker | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

So if Sean Tucker

There should be some establish criteria and procedure for offering it, not just a piecemeal thing. Having a 1,000 yard season might be a good standard: if you come back the next year, you can wear #44. Maybe it could be offered to a receiver on that basis, too.

I always wanted to give it to the team's outstanding senior at any position. Maybe Chris Elmore could wear it this year.

You should have to work toward it, not just have it handed to you. What if you gave it to a four star one year and the next year you had a chance to recruit a 5 star? Is he going to come here and watch some other dude wearing #44?

They don't.

A majority don't. The problem, IMO, is finding incredible talents who do care. The purpose is to bring high level recruits using that number. Finding good talent with interest already slim to impossible. Then, it's finding that talent who care.

Why not let Sean build his own legacy and how about we don't put unrealistic expectations on the kid?

Read the article.

"I didn't talk to anyone before they decided to do it, so they couldn't have my blessings."

"To unretire something, there has to be a commercial aspect to it," Brown said Thursday. "So if it's going to help the team professionally or help a scholarship fund or something like that, then that's good. But for me, to endorse something that takes away something from you, that doesn't make sense.

"Unless I did something to deserve it. It seems like a punishment to me. I didn't take it that way, but it couldn't be a positive thing unless someone explained it so all of us could see the positive aspect of it."

In other words, they did it wrong. Do it right this time.

Ah yes, because I didn't grow up in Syracuse I can't share the same passion about our football program. If anything it gives me more perspective on the number and it's importance to SU fans. I didn't watch college football growing up because I had no connection to it. If anything, you become more passionate about things you gain interests in later in life.

Also, this "alum from Massachusetts" had STs a few years back and without my schedule conflicts due to work would still have them.

We're both posting on a message board about the team, I don't need some townie telling me I'm not as big of a fan when I have more of a connection to the university than you do.
I said nothing about how big a fan you are. I said you don't have the same perspective as a local person who grew up following the team. Big difference.

Not sure how you have more connection to a University than anyone else, other than proclaiming it so. You know a few people? OK, so do I. Big deal.

Final thought from me on this: #44 is a part of the city of Syracuse, the University as a whole, and specifically the football program's history. The number means a ton to the city - and if the story is told the proper way, could mean a lot to others growing up. Those kids become fans, and those fans become ticket holders/donors/students/alums.

It's bigger than just a singular recruit. (And yes, I am hyperbolizing it slightly - but my point remains).

A few ideas have been shared, I have one. Since it is Floyd Little appreciation day against Clemson...forgive me if this was suggested, I haven't had a chance to read everything...anyway, how about ALL the players come out with 44 on with "LITTLE" on the back, maybe even Clemson players. Dabo is a class act, I could see him possibly being up for it. Maybe tear away jerseys. But, Tucker rips his off and it is 44 with "TUCKER" on the back. We could even misspell "LITTLE" or "TUCKER" if they want to stick to traditions.
Be careful how you misspell Tucker.

Hate to be a buzz kill boys, but this thread is dumb. Most “let’s unretire 44 for x y and z” threads are dumb. It was dumb when we were talking about it for Robert Washington, it’s dumb now that we’re talking about it with Tucker. I don’t like saying it because this is a fan forum and we should be able to work through any and all hypotheticals but it feels like we’re beating a dead horse.

I won't call the arguments against it dumb because they don't really exist. "I don't care about it" means that we could do it or not do it and you wouldn't care. The real arguments are about how to do it. I would prefer not doing it to doing it the wrong way.

The right way is a set standards for achievements here at Syracuse, (not in high school) and offer it to a player who has met those standards, (1,00 yard year, outstanding senior), if he wants it.

I didn’t realize Tony Dorsett’s jersey was retired at halftime of his final game at Pitt. What did he wear in the second half? Did Pitt go skins?

Well, NASA retired Pluto.

At least Goofy's still a planet.

1630606763813.png

(You're on it.)

You’re missing the point. Most kids won’t care. Yet. A few might. We have published evidence that some recent players have indicated a desire to wear the number. Eventually, hopefully, you hit on one. And you use it. If that player has great success, it snowballs. It could be a real asset if used. On the shelf it does nothing.
"Hi 4 or 5 star recruit, we feel you meet the criteria to wear the same uniform that 3 of the best running backs in CFB history wore and nobody has worn in like 25 years."

The problem is you have to see if kids in 2021 care about players from the 1950s

On the other hand, how many other schools have a Hollywood movie about the number of one of their players? And that guy happened to be the first black man to win the Heisman Trophy.

I think if it was marketed, it couldn't help but be successful. SU and its running backs were like the Jackie Robinsons (plural) of college football.

SU should trumpet that to the heights. SU deserves tremendous respect for its history of diversity.

On the other hand, how many other schools have a Hollywood movie about the number of one of their players? And that guy happened to be the first black man to win the Heisman Trophy.

I think if it was marketed, it couldn't help but be successful. SU and its running backs were like the Jackie Robinsons (plural) of college football.

SU should trumpet that to the heights. SU deserves tremendous respect for its history of diversity.
Agree with that. But it’s not the essence of the tradition of 44.

Finding people that care about our football program (outside of CNY) in general, is tough truckin. I'm sorry your bias has made you blind to that.

It didn't used to be like that, back in the late 80s and early-to-mid 90s. We were very much in the national conversation.

Agree with that. But it’s not the essence of the tradition of 44.

You use the movie as your starting point, then you fill in the rest as the "close" to your pitch to a recruit. Even if it's not true to history, it's got a good message.
That's how I see it, if you had an elite RB looking at SU, I would definitely use that as part of my pitch. (Maybe a 30 minute edit of the film, then you transition to real historical clips of all these guys.)

I just can't get over the manner in which it was retired (in case you couldn't tell). Just never felt real to me, even though Jim Brown and Floyd Little participated.

No kid should be pressured into it, but from that Elmore interview, sounds like it's been a bit of a topic of discussion.

I think if the team supports it, and the kid wants it (seems like we could see more of this in the NIL era), then I'm all for it.

If we want to go back to try to make it a recruiting tool, then I'm all for that too.

We have so few traditions. We had one really cool one that the whole fanbase knew, and we let some dude from California come in and retire it to try to sell some more tickets because his disastrous coaching hire was destroying everything.

(I'll stop now... maybe).

Sell tickets for one game, not even like it benefited season tickets. So short sighted.

Reading some of the younger, under 40/Millenial, takes in this thread demonstrates how far the 44 legacy has fallen.

"Why not let Sean build his own legacy"

"Let the guy be who he wants to be."

This isn't meant as a "Get Off My Lawn" to Milennial posters - it's more to acknowledge what the program is up against trying to re-establish it.

I hope they pitch wearing 44 as an honor reflecting the privilege of being asked to carry the burden of its legacy. ("We think you're the type of man equal to the task and it's yours if you want it.")

If they truly want 44 back on the field then Sean Tucker would be a fantastic pick for me.

I would love to see 44 back out there and I hope they do it soon.

Last edited:
You use the movie as your starting point, then you fill in the rest as the "close" to your pitch to a recruit. Even if it's not true to history, it's got a good message.
That's how I see it, if you had an elite RB looking at SU, I would definitely use that as part of my pitch. (Maybe a 30 minute edit of the film, then you transition to real historical clips of all these guys.)
Yup, but you sure as heck should mention it. It would matter a lot to kids now due to recent circumstances, IMO.

And when we're talking about distant history, it should be easily explainable. It's not like, "Hey, we had a few decent players who wore a special number." Arguably the best player at his position, and Ernie, and Floyd. GOAT, Heisman winner, NFL hall of famer. It should sell itself, if told.

Reading some of the younger, under 40/Millenial, takes in this thread demonstrates how far the 44 legacy has fallen.

This isn't meant as a "Get Off My Lawn" to Milennial posters - it's more to acknowledge what the program is up against trying to re-establish it.

I hope they pitch wearing 44 as an honor reflecting the privilege of being asked to carry the burden of that legacy. ("We think you're the type of man equal to the task and it's yours if you want it.")

If they truly want 44 back on the field then Sean Tucker would be a fantastic pick for me.

The weirdest thing about that perspective is that it reads as if he or any other person who would have the opportunity to wear it would basically be forced to wear it against their will - no one has ever been forced to wear the 44 and it's actually been turned down by both active players and recruits. And that's documented and on record unlike most of these anecdotal H0T Takes we're seeing here.

1630609607470.png

I hope they pitch wearing 44 as an honor reflecting the privilege of being asked to carry the burden of its legacy. ("We think you're the type of man equal to the task and it's yours if you want it.")

This would make sense as it was last worn in 1998

The weirdest thing about that perspective is that it reads as if he or any other person who would have the opportunity to wear it would basically be forced to wear it against their will - no one has ever been forced to wear the 44 and it's actually been turned down by both active players and recruits. And that's documented and on record unlike most of these anecdotal H0T Takes we're seeing here.

View attachment 205373
Yes, I agree and didn't want to put too fine a point on it to inflame some of our Milennial posters.

Always think it’s interesting when the word millennial gets thrown out to broadly describe young people. I’m a millennial and grew up watching Konrad and Richardson. Technically Owens but too young to remember (I’m 35) And I’m a huge advocate for 44 coming back.

If anything from my perspective it has been older posters who are against it Bc there is this holy legacy of 44 that can’t be tainted by a player who isn’t a future HOF’r. To be fair I’m sure there is plenty from young and older who would like to see it return. I’d be all for Sean Tucker wearing it, or even a non RB. If garret wanted it. I wouldn’t say go for it

Always think it’s interesting when the word millennial gets thrown out to broadly describe young people. I’m a millennial and grew up watching Konrad and Richardson. Technically Owens but too young to remember (I’m 35) And I’m a huge advocate for 44 coming back.

If anything from my perspective it has been older posters who are against it Bc there is this holy legacy of 44 that can’t be tainted by a player who isn’t a future HOF’r. To be fair I’m sure there is plenty from young and older who would like to see it return. I’d be all for Sean Tucker wearing it, or even a non RB. If garret wanted it. I wouldn’t say no.

That's why I used "some" before "Millennial."

I don't know many older posters who would restrict 44 to a HOF quality player at the expense of getting it back on the field.

I'm sure they exist but I don't recall seeing many post that sentiment here.

That's why I used "some" before "Millennial."

I don't know many older posters who would restrict 44 to a HOF quality player at the expense of getting it back on the field.

I'm sure they exist but I don't recall seeing many post that sentiment here.
I have mostly seen the “a player has to earn it first” posts along with just flat out saying don’t bring it back. This is a long feed don’t really want to go back and cherry pick posts. I also wonder if it’s younger posters saying they don’t care or people assuming younger fans don’t care? I easily could be wrong too.

Bottom line is I believe if Cuse was to give it to a good player, that player does well and the school does a good job promoting the number again by bringing the past players to the forefront. It wouldn’t take long to “re-educate” the Syracuse fan base. People want something to belong to and hold up as unique to their team. Wouldn’t take long for people to care if they don’t right now.

I have mostly seen the “a player has to earn it first” posts along with just flat out saying don’t bring it back. This is a long feed don’t really want to go back and cherry pick posts. I also wonder if it’s younger posters saying they don’t care or people assuming younger fans don’t care? I easily could be wrong too.

Bottom line is I believe if Cuse was to give it to a good player, that player does well and the school does a good job promoting the number again by bringing the past players to the forefront. It wouldn’t take long to “re-educate” the Syracuse fan base. People want something to belong to and hold up as unique to their team. Wouldn’t take long for people to care if they don’t right now.

Completely agree with your second paragraph.

I think we might've interpreted the "player has to earn it first" posts differently.

I don't mind if people want a standard (far less than HOFer) achieved before handing it out.

I just want it back in circulation.

Completely agree with your second paragraph.

I think we might've interpreted the "player has to earn it first" posts differently.

I don't mind if people want a standard (far less than HOFer) achieved before handing it out.

I just want it back in circulation.
I think the last time around the AD was on board, Floyd was on board, and there was some snafu with Jim and communication about the change with him before publicly announcing it, which followed with a Jim woe is me sounding blindsided article and then it was buried. But you could very easily create a ring of honor for the significant 44’s with Ernie/Floyd/Jim at the center, and retire their jerseys like we do with all other players. And if you wanted to limit the “damage” of players wearing it as a freshman and not producing, then put some parameters in place for it to be offered to a player. Namely, player has to rush for 1,000 yards in a season as an undergrad, have remaining eligibility, and not have any off the field issues. A committee approves it and it is offered to the player, but the player reserves the right to turn it down and continue to wear their current number. It’s not that hard to get the thing going again, and once we have a new 44 wearing it in the pros it breathes life into it for the newer generations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom