So it begins: bye bye, Randy Edsall | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So it begins: bye bye, Randy Edsall

Bet it'll be Kiffen. Or Schiano. Either way, they'll make a splash. MD is a good job now. And it's in a good recruiting zone. Here's to hoping they it up and hire Skip Holtz or something.
Schiano scares me a bit, only because he would undoubtably hit NJ hard and would have UA resources to bear. Not that he'd be that great of a coach, but they would start pulling more players from NJ and PA and with PSU/Rutgers/BC taking their share as well, we would have dogfights every year.

Interesting decision and timing. Edsall is in his 5th year at MD, having compiled a 22-33 record, including Ls in 2 lower-tier bowl games the past 2 years. The Terps are 2-3 this season and are headed into the tough part of their BiG schedule (OSU, PSU, Iowa, Wisc, Mich St). I wonder if his contract is up this year, and the MD brass was waiting to see how this season unfolded before deciding on an extension? I think it would be difficult to recruit being a coach on the hot seat in the last year of your contract.

Edit: Just saw GoSU's post above, especially the part about just giving Edsall a 3 year extension.

GoSU96 said:
I was NOT happy when it looked like he was getting it.

No you weren't...at all.

I don't think it would be a big deal. We don't recruit MD or VA anymore. We have a total of 2 kids from those states.

Agreed. We're in on a token kid here and there but MD/VA is just not a recruiting priority anymore. My bigger recruiting concern would be buttgers getting their next hire right.

While not Gregian, Maryland has been a bad team while he's been there. How they won 7 games last year is a mystery. Kudo's (?) to him for having the worst team statistically to win 7 in the last five years.

Last year they finished 109th on offense and 95th on defense. This year they are worse in both, 115th and 110th. BTW, they beat USF soundly.

Overall record 22-31 averaging 97th in total offense and 76th in total defense, with the team worse on both than it was the season he took over.

I don't know when Locksley was hired but the last four years they have been 120th, 75th, 109th, and currently 115th on offense.

What's hilarious is that they gave him a three year extension worth $7.5M in June.

That ADept is a mess.
i begged gross in an email to not hire edsall.

i suggested chip kelly. or um mike leach. or ummmmmm mark whipple

JoeSU said:
I would add Turner Gill and Skip Holtz to the list of disastrous potential hires.

Gill was down the list. Holtz was #2 and got an offer.

I'm going to use Randy's own words here because they seem so poetic...

"I mean it's over man. It's done"

I don't think it would be a big deal. We don't recruit MD or VA anymore. We have a total of 2 kids from those states.
We SHOULD recruit this area. Loaded with talent filling the rosters of P5 programs nationwide. When we were routinely top 20 (yes youngsters we used to be) we hit this area hard. A good hire by MD would make it harder for others. OTOH its a fun day to watch their delusional fan base.

Please let it be Schiano. Those fans would LOSE THEIR F#$ING MINDS.
Especially since the Twerps play Rutgahs in the last game of the season.

Not happy about this at all. If they actually get their hire right this time and with UA backing them, they're going to be a huge PIA to recruit against. Having Randy there was great for everyone else trying to recruit the mid-atlantic.

Schiano would kill it there recruiting wise. I can see him going 8-4 every year there just off the talent he would land

His ineptness and meatheadedness would keep them from being a 10 win team yearly though

I've been banging this drum for years, Matt Campbell is going to make somebody look very smart.

Absolute Star in the making.

Edsall was a DB coach for a long time.
If Fred Reed doesn't return next year, maybe Shafer will hire him.
:rolling:

Gill was down the list. Holtz was #2 and got an offer.
I won't lie, Skippy was my choice before Marrone's name surfaced.

Hindsight aside, as soon as I heard about Marrone and did some digging, I thought he was THE fit. Alumni, local coaching roots, worked his way up through the ranks with some very intriguing stops along the way followed by NFL experience.

At the time I feel like we needed somebody who understood Syracuse to help us build it back up. Not to mention the OL experience was a huge plus as well as being part of a New Orleans Saints staff that at the time was probably one of the hottest in the NFL.

It's funny how these conversations bring back memories. I'm always smarter in my memories.

I understand the UMass job may be open after this year. Good luck Dbag.

I've been banging this drum for years, Matt Campbell is going to make somebody look very smart.

Absolute Star in the making.

He has been a good O mind. I think this season is a big season for him though as a HC. So far so good.

Campbell was to Beckman as Petersen was to Hawkins

He has been a good O mind. I think this season is a big season for him though as a HC. So far so good.

Campbell was to Beckman as Petersen was to Hawkins
I like the analogy, the only counterpoint I'll make is that I think Matt Campbell was a significant reason behind Beckman's success and he's showed more consistency and development at Toledo than I think Beckman did. Obviously he's been there a little longer and started in a better place. Success has followed him wherever he's been, both statistically and in the W/L Column.

Interesting that ESPN still has nothing on this story.

Well, looks like the reports he's been fired were wrong:

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN
Maryland statement: “Randy Edsall is our head football coach & he'll be on the sidelines Saturday against Ohio State”

upload_2015-10-8_12-46-11.gif 23m

JoeSU said:
A number of posters on this board lobbied for Gill.

Yes they did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom