So, Jalen Carey | Syracusefan.com

So, Jalen Carey

nyucuse

2nd String
Any word? If he were to leave, presumably now is the time, before second semester begins..

1577928341147.png

I think it was highly unlikely for him to be at the Niagara game if he wasn’t coming back for spring semester.

Good point, I take it he was there...

Hope he stays. As rough as he looked, if JB could utilize him in a Dion capacity, ie athletic disruptor, not necessarily a PG, that is where he could shine. He's not a PG, that much is apparent. But the program could certainly use his athletic gifts, if both he and the coaching staff could figure that out.

He's likely taking a medical red-shirt and as such there is no need to leave mid-semester. I suspect he will transfer once the season is over.

He's likely taking a medical red-shirt and as such there is no need to leave mid-semester. I suspect he will transfer once the season is over.
This is a possibility. The NCAA seems pretty OK with handing out waivers to play right away for transfers who have sat out a year for a medical reason.

If he doesn’t leave someone else will.

Buddy and JG3 will be the backcourt the next 2 years (after this year ends). We’re adding Kadary and will still have Goodine; HoWash also looked good before the injury.

too many guys, someone will leave

This is a possibility. The NCAA seems pretty OK with handing out waivers to play right away for transfers who have sat out a year for a medical reason.

It would if he is granted a waiver. If not, the NCAA rule is you need to have two semesters in residence at your new school before being eligible to participate so he would STILL have to sit the entire 2020-21 season if he transfers at the end of this year rather than at the semester break then have 2 to play 2.

It would if he is granted a waiver. If not, the NCAA rule is you need to have two semesters in residence at your new school before being eligible to participate so he would STILL have to sit the entire 2020-21 season if he transfers at the end of this year rather than at the semester break then have 2 to play 2.
If he gets a medical RS he would be a Freshman eligibility wise.
He would qualify for a 6th year if he transfers after the year and wanted it because of the medical RS.

The reason to stay the entire year is to protect an additional 6th year of eligibility if he wanted it.

He won’t play this year just to protect the medical RS.

Yes, I know how the transfer eligibility restrictions work.

Moyer received a waiver for this season. Many basketball players did. It remains to be seen if the new guidelines adopted this summer will in fact make it harder for some players to get waivers (e.g., those who already missed a season due to injury).

Sixth year used to be applicable only if you missed two seasons due to injury. Rule was amended in 2018 to cover a student who had already used their redshirt year then missed a second due to injury. To my knowledge it has never been applied to a D1 mens' basketball player who redshirted AFTER missing a year due to injury. Seems like it would be quite a gamble. If he were going to transfer - and put me in the "He Stays" camp - logic dictates he leave now and satisfy residency requirement in time for spring semester at his new school rather than rely on the whims of the NCAA.

And from the NCAA manual: Academic year in residence: Under the basic transfer regulations, you must spend an academic year in residence at the school to which you are transferring. If you transfer from a four-year college to an NCAA school, you must complete one academic year in residence at the new school before you can play for or receive travel expenses from the new school, unless you qualify for a transfer exception or waiver. To satisfy an academic year in residence, you must be enrolled in and successfully complete a full-time program of studies for two-full semesters or three-full quarters. Summer school terms and part-time enrollment do not count toward fulfilling an academic year in residence.

Sixth year used to be applicable only if you missed two seasons due to injury. Rule was amended in 2018 to cover a student who had already used their redshirt year then missed a second due to injury. To my knowledge it has never been applied to a D1 mens' basketball player who redshirted AFTER missing a year due to injury. Seems like it would be quite a gamble. If he were going to transfer - and put me in the "He Stays" camp - logic dictates he leave now and satisfy residency requirement in time for spring semester at his new school rather than rely on the whims of the NCAA.

And from the NCAA manual: Academic year in residence: Under the basic transfer regulations, you must spend an academic year in residence at the school to which you are transferring. If you transfer from a four-year college to an NCAA school, you must complete one academic year in residence at the new school before you can play for or receive travel expenses from the new school, unless you qualify for a transfer exception or waiver. To satisfy an academic year in residence, you must be enrolled in and successfully complete a full-time program of studies for two-full semesters or three-full quarters. Summer school terms and part-time enrollment do not count toward fulfilling an academic year in residence.
The medical RS will help Carey.
He is going to leave before the season ends.

If he gets a medical RS he would be a Freshman eligibility wise.
He would qualify for a 6th year if he transfers after the year and wanted it because of the medical RS.

The reason to stay the entire year is to protect an additional 6th year of eligibility if he wanted it.

He won’t play this year just to protect the medical RS.
Umm...how would he be a freshman eligibility wise if he’s already a sophomore?

This ^ Without any type of waivers (which is flip of the coin) he would need to show injuries caused him to miss 2 seasons in order to have a 6th year.

Without getting into waivers again transferring semester break would be the smart move as someone mentioned above he is required to sit 2 semesters at new school before being eligible. Therefore if transferred now then would be eligible next January and have 2.5 seasons left. If transferred after this season would have to sit and only have 2 seasons left (starting fall of 2021).

Jalen was on the bench last night, but it dawned on me that there might be a rule about transferring in a redshirt year.

I think he may have to stay here through spring, then transfer in order to preserve his redshirt.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Jalen was on the bench last night, but it dawned on me that there might be a rule about transferring in a redshirt year.

I think he may have to stay here through spring, then transfer in order to preserve his redshirt.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Jake I think this correct, there is some added nuance with it being a medical red-shirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom