So let's discuss Tyler Ennis for a moment | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So let's discuss Tyler Ennis for a moment

Just caught a few minutes of Tyler in the Jordan Brand Classic that was played in Brooklyn and attended by Carmelo Anthony last night. The game is on my DVR and I plan to watch it later on.

From his first two shifts, I can say with confidence, Tyler Ennis will be an all-time great point guard at Syracuse. He'll be remembered with the likes of Sherman Douglas and Pearl Washington. There isn't any part of his offensive game that I don't like. He's going to be a great teammate and make everyone around him better from day one. Tyler Ennis just gets it.

I, for one, am confident in Syracuse's near basketball future entering the ACC.

Read this article from MSG Varsity
OE, on another matter, is Thomas expected back next year for the orangewoman softball team?

Have you seen him play recently or within the last year to be exact? Last week alone in the ESPN HS Tourney, he was running layup drills on repeat against top 50 players that are considered good defenders like Kasey Hill, Nigel Williams-Goss, Stanford Robinson, and Al Freeman. He's not Usain Bolt but his speed is deceptive. Like the announcers mentioned, he can turn on the fast/slow button whenever he wants and I have hardly seen him struggle getting into the lane in a game. Everybody view things differently, so maybe you saw something that others and myself aren't seeing.
Thank you. Players like Edelin and Ennis play under control, therefore some people assume they are not the fastest. Also I laugh when people say Billy wasn't a great athlete, he can still throw down a 360 dunk without warming up.

Have you seen him play recently or within the last year to be exact? Last week alone in the ESPN HS Tourney, he was running layup drills on repeat against top 50 players that are considered good defenders like Kasey Hill, Nigel Williams-Goss, Stanford Robinson, and Al Freeman. He's not Usain Bolt but his speed is deceptive. Like the announcers mentioned, he can turn on the fast/slow button whenever he wants and I have hardly seen him struggle getting into the lane in a game. Everybody view things differently, so maybe you saw something that others and myself aren't seeing.

I just noted that he's got a good hesitation dribble. He doesn't give away what he's going to do with the ball, and is liable to pass at any point in his possession, so the hesitation freezes his man and makes better use of what speed he has which can be just as effective as pure speed. I do hope, though, that his FT% in hs was better than what he shot yesterday. Better he should shoot 500 FTs a day over the summer than practice 3s; the former will make him more useful to the team in end game situations.-VBOF

I really enjoy your posts [especially the post game analysis], and think many of your observations are right on the money. However, in this case, I'm going to disagree with you on a few points about Ennis. I have no--ZERO--concerns about this kid's handle. Watched two games in the NSI, and he has not just a good left hand, but a great one. Kid dribbles the ball like its on a string with both hands. Spent a lot of time paying attention to that in the games I watched, and I believe that Ennis has a tremendous handle--won't be an issue.

I agree about his athleticism / speed not being a differentiator, but I think you're being a bit too critical in this regard. Kid isn't a burner, although he's a better athlete than people seem to give him credit for. He picks his spots and situationally turns on a burst of speed. Not unlike MCW, who also wasn't waterbug fast.

Just for the record. I have no problem with Ennis's handle. My problem is with his lack of elite athleticism combined with the fact that he is going to be our team's only ball handler as a freshman. Against pressure D (meaning either a full court press or just really tight half court man to man) I think he's going to have a tough time shaking his defender, and thus a though time doing anything productive offensively.

When push comes to shove, if I'm going to have a freshman starting, I'd rather it be a guy who will not have to adjust much to the speed of the college game (like Flynn), than a guy who has more skill but is going to have a harder time adjusting to that speed (like Ennis).

I like Ennis a lot, down the road, just not sure I like him as a freshman starter. I hope expectations are not unreasonably high out of the gate for him.

Unlike a lot of people here, I think he's going to be an above average defender in the zone. He wont be at first (nobody ever is), and he wont be another MCW (cant expect to see that again anytime soon) but he's got quick hands and good basketball instincts. Once he learns what Boeheim wants him to do, I think you will see him make a lot of plays on that end.

I just noted that he's got a good hesitation dribble. He doesn't give away what he's going to do with the ball, and is liable to pass at any point in his possession, so the hesitation freezes his man and makes better use of what speed he has which can be just as effective as pure speed. I do hope, though, that his FT% in hs was better than what he shot yesterday. Better he should shoot 500 FTs a day over the summer than practice 3s; the former will make him more useful to the team in end game situations.-VBOF
He's a solid FT shooter. Last week in 3 games, he shot over 10FT's and I only recall him missing once when his shoulder was injured. Tee or somebody else that saw all of the games could back me up on that.

He's a solid FT shooter. Last week in 3 games, he shot over 10FT's and I only recall him missing once when his shoulder was injured. Tee or somebody else that saw all of the games could back me up on that.
We will not have to worry about his FT and outside touch. He recently "slightly" dislocated his right shoulder after straining it a few times during the season. That's his shooting hand, and in the same game he injured it, he still drained a three to take the lead in the national championship. :)

He looked good from the line the entire season. I don't think they keep these percentages, but he has a good stroke, less concerned of that aspect of his game then MCW coming in. That said, they are different players and I won't take away from the athleticism, passing, vision of MCW.

Tyler will make everyone better, should have 5+ assists per game, but don't be surprised if it's 7+ as he will be asked to play heavy minutes, and his shooting percentages will be solid for a guard. I see him rebounding as well, forcing turnovers, getting steals, etc but maybe not as lofty numbers as MCW to start.

We will not have to worry about his FT and outside touch. He recently "slightly" dislocated his right shoulder after straining it a few times during the season. That's his shooting hand, and in the same game he injured it, he still drained a three to take the lead in the national championship. :)

He looked good from the line the entire season. I don't think they keep these percentages, but he has a good stroke, less concerned of that aspect of his game then MCW coming in. That said, they are different players and I won't take away from the athleticism, passing, vision of MCW.

Tyler will make everyone better, should have 5+ assists per game, but don't be surprised if it's 7+ as he will be asked to play heavy minutes, and his shooting percentages will be solid for a guard. I see him rebounding as well, forcing turnovers, getting steals, etc but maybe not as lofty numbers as MCW to start.
Tee I think you're spot on, bro

Tee I think you're spot on, bro
Thanks man!

In fact, going to back up my yap tonight by hitting up the archives, will check out his touch by watching the St. Ant's game tonight. Box score shows he hit 4 FTs but doesn't specify attempts. Nevertheless, I will be back later on with an update. Might see if fios has more in their archives, but this game was pre-injury so we can better see what his touch looks like.

Still, this game was a low scoring affair, and I remember serious defensive effort on both sides. This is St. Anthony's specialty. ;)

Watching him a few times, the only major concern I have is that he plays below the rim. He seemed to have some issues finishing inside unless he had a clear lane, and that's only going to be tougher in college. He doesn't seem overly athletic, so that's part of the reason he plays below the rim. Hopefully, a college strength and conditioning program can really help him.

Watching him a few times, the only major concern I have is that he plays below the rim. He seemed to have some issues finishing inside unless he had a clear lane, and that's only going to be tougher in college. He doesn't seem overly athletic, so that's part of the reason he plays below the rim. Hopefully, a college strength and conditioning program can really help him.
I have to mention something about this.
Tyler has converted some and ones and borderline circus shots getting off-balanced or out of position. I know it seems surprising, but he has a knack for banking the shot in, even on tough angles or bad positioning. Ever play 30 second basket? He's probably the king of it, but it's more than that. He gets it done when you think he was altered enough to not have a chance.

But, you're right. Not going to play above the rim much. Yes, he dunks in the open court. But he's not on Jonny Flynn's level of ups for a PG. In fact, yesterday towards the end, there was a laughable missed dunk when a guy threw it off the backboard for Randle. Only Tyler was in the way and thought it was for him! Still, he almost threw down a wild play and they laughed about it after.

But, to my point, he does finish tough layups and shots in the paint, just not really doing it above the rim.

Recap of some Ennis and Briscoe action, quarter 1 against then undefeated St. Anthony's. They had a record winning streak before they met Benny's this night. They were also #1 in the nation. Not for long...

Breaks the ice scoring the first points in the game, deep beyond high school three. A little rim, not a swish, but good looking shot.
He first passed up a chance to shoot by giving Mike Young an open three look, but Young missed. F Pitt, but Young is a decent player. Again, gives Young a free look on baseline but Young misses. Tyler for president. :)

Btw, I love St Benny's very unselfish team. Briscoe, nice inside dish to a guy with even better position than him. Briscoe is a guy in our mold of combo guards, no denying it. He can score, but handles the ball and distributes, 4.2 assists/game is second to
guess who with 5.1 (this included 24 games, probably misses tourney data).

Yikes, Briscoe drains a tough step back 3. Can you say Dion? That kind of fearless. Again another but a deep 2. Briscoe is a dangerous man. Ennis, a left handed pass to wide open Briscoe for three but missed that one strong.

Ennis, great pickpocket steal, but misses tough layup on the other end. Just rolls off the rim, but had the english to spin in and have a chance. Toasted his man in a half court set, defense does not rotate, Tyler with a lay in.

So far, shooting numbers:
2/3 fg
1/2 2 pt
1/1 3 pt
0/0 ft

Just for the record. I have no problem with Ennis's handle. My problem is with his lack of elite athleticism combined with the fact that he is going to be our team's only ball handler as a freshman. Against pressure D (meaning either a full court press or just really tight half court man to man) I think he's going to have a tough time shaking his defender, and thus a though time doing anything productive offensively.

When push comes to shove, if I'm going to have a freshman starting, I'd rather it be a guy who will not have to adjust much to the speed of the college game (like Flynn), than a guy who has more skill but is going to have a harder time adjusting to that speed (like Ennis).

I like Ennis a lot, down the road, just not sure I like him as a freshman starter. I hope expectations are not unreasonably high out of the gate for him.

Unlike a lot of people here, I think he's going to be an above average defender in the zone. He wont be at first (nobody ever is), and he wont be another MCW (cant expect to see that again anytime soon) but he's got quick hands and good basketball instincts. Once he learns what Boeheim wants him to do, I think you will see him make a lot of plays on that end.

He looked pretty quick to me

Quarter 2, St. Benedict's Prep v St. Anthony

Briscoe clanks one, step back three again. Tyler with another deep three try, but toilet bowls around, rims out. Ennis, great rifle pass inside to Young who misses a cheapy hook. Come on Young! Ennis drives, floater inside the foul line, back rims. Not good execution of that shot.

Well, if anyone wonders about his scoring ability now, it should be settled. Man is draped over him, tough fall away shot from deep and delivers. He facilitates and gets his teammates good looks that they missed this game, but he is a scorer too, he takes over when he has to score. That was a fantastic shot on a tough selection. If anyone has access, happens with right around 2 minutes left in the first half. Ennis front rimmed a three, but on target, a little short.

First half numbers for Tyler the Creator
3/6 fg
2/3 2 pt
1/3 3 pt
0/0 ft

Yeah, I tend to agree. I think he is athletic enough to be a very good player for us. His size helps as well. He's not going to throw down dunks and he'll probably get packed here and there playing below the rim. I think by his sophomore season though he will be as good of an assist guy as MCW but a better shooter/scorer. We'll take it. The Final 4 had four very good PGs. You need it.

i tend to agree with this. the expectations that seem to be already placed on this kid are heading in a bad direction. especially if he isn't overly productive. he is going to be a true FR, there will be some bumps along the road. The kid has an extremely bright future, but let's put the brakes on a little.

I absolutely respect your opinion but the is a difference between Ennis not having elite speed and the game being to fast for him. Gerry didn't have Jonny's speed but the game was never too fast for him. Mentally the game won't be too fast for this kid...will he have a stinker or 2?...sure pros have stinkers...but this kid is ready!

Ennis reminds me (a little) of Edelin. Edelin wasn't a burner, but he knew how to play the game. Ennis looks like a smart BB player and I for one am impressed with his ball handling.

Might take him a few frosh games to settle in, but I think he's going to be a very solid PG. I like what I've seen.

This was to prove from this small subset of play, that Ennis can hit his FTs. He was perfect from the line on this night, so again, not too worried about him in this facet.

3rd quarter

Ennis penetrates, goes to a tough left handed scoop, ala Triche this years but misses. He hasn't converted as consistently as other games I've watched this year, but until this point, this was one of the best defensive teams in the country they were playing. Not much comes easy against Bobby Hurley Sr's team. Terrible wild pass going out of bounce, not only does Tyler save it, but tap pass saves it to one of his boys. Sharp IQ, kid. Young, nice power move after that and converts.

Briscoe open court steal, and a slamma jamma, the one hand switching to two hand dunk. Briscoe, three point pump fakes, his man goes for the bait, and he drives, dumps one in short range with his left. Briscoe dishes to another teammate for an open three that he hits. Ennis just showed a good job of breaking full court pressure. Next play, he finishes on the break a layup, getting fouled HARD! That was what I meant, a tough play he converts. FT rims around and drops in. He then took a wild 3 from the top of the key, misses long, but not a good idea. Another contested outside shot that misses. But then, dives for a loose ball, calls timeout and saves possession.

Williams just jumped into the stands and saves the ball behind the back in one motion to Ennis who just misses a three, again, not terribly off mark at the buzzer. Tyler put up too many this quarter, but they had already broken away, got too ahead of themselves.

He has 10 points, I'm guessing a couple of assists with a quarter left.

4th quarter

Outlet to Ennis, finger rolls on the break and converts. He led all scorers with 12 at this point.
1 and 1, for Ennis, converts both. First swishes, second drops in with a little bit of rim. Final minute, Ennis ahead to Young for an easy full court finish. St. Benedict's dethroned this impressive St. Anthony team that had dominated high school basketball for 2+ years.

Not great numbers shooting from outside this game, but he wasn't efficient in his shot selection.
Still, ends up with a game high 14 points and gets the W.
5/13 fg
4/7 2 pt
1/6 3 pt
3/3 ft

Just caught a few minutes of Tyler in the Jordan Brand Classic that was played in Brooklyn and attended by Carmelo Anthony last night. The game is on my DVR and I plan to watch it later on.

From his first two shifts, I can say with confidence, Tyler Ennis will be an all-time great point guard at Syracuse. He'll be remembered with the likes of Sherman Douglas and Pearl Washington. There isn't any part of his offensive game that I don't like. He's going to be a great teammate and make everyone around him better from day one. Tyler Ennis just gets it.

I, for one, am confident in Syracuse's near basketball future entering the ACC.

Read this article from MSG Varsity
It is never ideal to bring in a frosh at PG and expect him to start right away. But if you have to, you want a player who played at a high level of competition. Tyler fits the bill. His HS is one of the best basketball programs in the country, they played a really ambitious schedule, he played with and against D1 athletes in practice and in games regularly and in addition, I believe he is a member of the Canadian national team and has played a number of games in that capacity.

From what I have seen of him, I think he is already a better ball handler than MCW was. No question he is a gifted passer too. Don't think he will be as spectacular as MCW was...both on the positive and negative side. I look for him to be a heady, consistent pass first PG who will shoulder more of the load scoring wise as his career progresses.

He is quicker and more athletic than some here are giving him credit for. Needs to get stronger...that is his biggest weakness right now. I love his BB IQ, like his moxie and ability to make plays in crunch time. My biggest worry with him is his teammates.

Will he have a reliable outside shooting threat to pass the ball to? Will he have someone on the low post that can convert consistently? He will be fine as long as we don't ask too much of him and expect him to take over games scoring wise as a true frosh.

I don't know for sure if he will ever be an AA but he should be playing at an all conference level by his junior season.

I did as well. The teams FT shooting was woeful, but not Tylers. He seems to have a good repetitive stroke.

Ennis reminds me (a little) of Edelin. Edelin wasn't a burner, but he knew how to play the game. Ennis looks like a smart BB player and I for one am impressed with his ball handling.

Might take him a few frosh games to settle in, but I think he's going to be a very solid PG. I like what I've seen.
I think thats a pretty good comparison. BE never seemed like he was moving fast but was always able to get to the rim. It's more of the ability to change speeds rather than being a blazer like Russ smith or Jonny.

Like JB has said a bazillion times in the past ... its tough being a freshman point guard in this league (I assume will be the case in the ACC as well) but he seems to be under control and pretty smart. He is definitely going to have to adjust as things that worked in HS won't work at this level. As long as he is a pass first point guard that has good on court awareness (time, score, situation) we should be ok.

I think Tyler's ball handling is very deceptive. Just when his handle looks loose and you think you can pcik him is when Tyler is goign to rifle a one handed laser pass for a duece. He kind of reminds me right now of a senior year Z but a much better shooter. I think he could have easily scored 30 a game if needed to. But I like that he instead played with other D1 talent against some of the best high school teams in the country. I agree that right now he is a better ball handler than either MCW or Triche. He may approach MCW's passing skill, look for many no look alley oops to Fair, Grant DC2 etc. next year. Shooting wise I expect as a freshman he will be better than MCW and more consistent than Triche. Likely will shoot a higher % than both of them. Defensively, again deceptive. He's 6'3" but seems to be the type of player that lurks in the right spot to pick off a few passes per game. I also agree the zone will suit him very well. Looking forward to a few years of watching him run the show.

Remember that this was an exhibition game with little D.

After seeing Ennis a number of times, I think he is going to have trouble scoring against good pressure defenses in college. He is slow and not overly athletic. You can get away with that if you are hugely strong and have a ridiculous amount of body control the way Edelin did, but I dont think Ennis (or many other players) have that the way he did.

The good news is Ennis is almost definitely going to be a four year player. By the end of the four years I expect him to be a very good shooter and a good decision maker. Put a great athlete who can handle the ball next to him (Briscoe?) and he will be a great fit.

The bad news is next year Ennis is going to be an okay shooter at best, and I worry about his ability to handle the ball against pressure - how much help are we going to be able to offer him in that regard?

am i the only 1 who never though of edelin as 'hugely strong?'