So the BE came out with a statement | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So the BE came out with a statement

Good call, I stand corrected.

And now that I think of it, it's never a dead ball when you fumble in the end zone. It's a free ball until someone recovers or the ball goes out of bonus...

and there in lies the problem. they called it a td.. thus no CHANCE for a recovery

Good call, I stand corrected.

And now that I think of it, it's never a dead ball when you fumble in the end zone. It's a free ball until someone recovers or the ball goes out of bonus...
That is exactly right...it's not like when someone fumbles into the end zone it's a dead ball. It's live until someone recovers it. So, it's the correct call. Unless it did tip the pylon...which it may have. And the first one, wow...

the BE knows it blew the call; clearly, the replay showed the fumble before the RB's body his the ground. There was a discussion of no witness, by an official, of a recovery. This is hogwash; as officials are very frequently deciding recovery of the football after the pileup is sorted out and they can see who has the ball.

Unfortunately, we continue to hurt ourselves with foolish penalties and miscues; as bad and as crucial a call this was; we still gave away a win through our own lack of focus and off and on play execution'

CNY Central did a good job of contrasting the images from the first fumble play to what mcCauley was saying. He talkes aobut the need to see that the ball comes out before the runner is down...which it clearly does...and the need to "have clear visual evidence of a recovery"...which we do.

http://www.cnycentral.com/sports/video.aspx

Same as when Bryce Bevill stripped the due from Oklahoma in 1994.
Good memory on the Bevill vs. OU situation. The difference is that Bevill clearly punched the ball out of the receiver's arm from behind. The replay of yesterday's incident is not so clear as to determine what was the impetus for that fumble.

Strange rule. If a ballcarrier breaks the plane and it gets knocked OOB in play, it's still a TD. If a ball bounces off the GL on a punt, it's a touchback, right?

When that ball hit the goalline, it was not dead yet. That is the thing to remember. If the ball goes out of bounds in the endzone and was last touched by the offense then it is a touchback. But that ball was not dead, I repeat not dead!!! If that ball hits the goalline and bounces into the endzone(not out of bounds) and UC covers it up then it's a TD for them. Fact is it was still a live ball when it bounced backwards out of bounds at the 6 inch line or whatever it was. The defense never had possession either, it was the right call to give it back to the offense where the ball went out of bounds. It completely sucks, and it's another one of those unlucky bounces for us, but it was the right call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom