So we're playing Baylor... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

So we're playing Baylor...

If we're focused on cutting off the foul line that's going to leave the 3 point line open. You can't cover both. Let them beat us from the foul line. So tired of no-name guards going off from 3 because we defended the mid-range at all costs.

They're not that good from three. They have a bunch of guys who shoot about like we do from deep, but nobody as good as Buddy has been lately.

You have to pick your poison, and since they are OK (but not spectacular) shooters from deep, but they *really* go after the offensive boards, I think the biggest risk is letting them get it into the paint, throw it up on the glass and then go get it.

If you have to hedge one guy against the three point shooter, do it on the weak side of the zone. That's where the pass off of penetration usually goes anyway.

It was from the corner but didn't bank, just hit about every part of seemingly the rim and the entire hoop.
I remember a late 3 by them from the top right corner on TV screen. I thought it hit rim twice, popped out and then banked in off the backboard

Although Minnesota played MSU in the B1G this year, and that’s a potential 2nd round matchup if they get by Louisville.

They did that to us with Marquette one year, when we were in the Big East.
Boy, I was angry about that, and of course we lost to them.

They did that to us with Marquette one year, when we were in the Big East.
Boy, I was angry about that, and of course we lost to them.

No choice that year. Someone had to get a rematch. The Big East had 11 teams.

Also I remember Triche got injured in that game early in the 2nd half and I believe he had 8 early points.

Scoop had a rough game.

we also got totally screwed on a blown over and back call on Jardine that took away our shot to win.

As I recall, Scoop traveled trying to avoid an over-and-back on an inbounds play- forgetting that since it was an inbound, there was no over-and-back.

I've always thought that a guy inbounding into the forecourt should not have the option of passing into the back court. If you can't pass into the back court when you are in bounds, why should you be able to do it out of bounds?

Baylor lost 4 in a row to end the year and don't look that impressive. I have only seen them play once and it was quite a while ago. There best shooter looks to be 6'1" and white so hopefully we can defend and make some shots. I like our chances and don't think we could have asked for a better match up.

Cause white guys are easy to defend? :confused:

As I recall, Scoop traveled trying to avoid an over-and-back on an inbounds play- forgetting that since it was an inbound, there was no over-and-back.
nope, no traveling they just blew the call

Jardine, who started in the frontcourt, leapt to catch the pass and landed with one foot on the midcourt line. Officials whistled the play an “over and back,” violation and Marquette was awarded the basketball.

I wish this game was being played in the East so I could see it. I don’t like traveling. I think it’s because when I was younger my dad beat me with a globe.
Well at least it wasn’t a blunt instrument.

nope, no traveling they just blew the call

In that case, the call was wrong . But I think that second step was a travel. it's possible that, in the original broadcast the announcer thought a travel had been called and that's what i remembered. In any case, Scoop should have known the rule and realized he didn't have to do that little pirouette to retrieve the ball.

I know he won’t, but if Battle is healthy, can we still start Buddy somehow?

(Mike, I like you, so this isnt directed at you, but at those who keep repeating this sentiment), replacing a guy who just scored 28 points vs the team who is favored to win the national title belt is at the top of my list of things to do, too. (a team who also learned at least some zone too, from a certain someone).

I like Buddy as much as anybody(or close, I'd imagine), but let's not make him Trevor Cooney just yet, lol.

OttoInGrotto I think we need whatever the successor is to that Skanky Potato Meter(tm) you had is.

Last edited:
Just curious did GT play a 1-3-1 against us that suffice to say caused us some trouble.

Bad officiating was a common theme in our losses in the tournament from 2010-2013.

I try not to be "that guy", but the worst officiated game ever for us that I recall was that Regional Final against Ohio State with Sullinger, I think it was. Vern Lundquist on the call. It was right when the Bernie Fine crap broke, and Lundquist was just killing us in his commentary. That was one year that the NCAA was NOT going to let Syracuse play in the Final Four.

(Mike, I like you, so this isnt directed at you, but at those who keep repeating this sentiment), replacing a guy who just scored 28 points vs the team who is favored to win the national title belt is at the top of my list of things to do, too. (a team who also learned at least some zone too, from a certain someone).

I like Buddy as much as anybody(or close, I'd imagine), but let's not make him Trevor Cooney just yet, lol.

OttoInGrotto I think we need whatever the successor is to that Skanky Potato Meter(tm) you had is.

I assume you meant "is not at the top of my list of things to do".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom