Roberson 32
Gbinije 35
Cooney 32
Joseph 25

Okoboh 10
Lydon 20
Richardson 18
Howard 5

I'm hoping Roberson can play some 5... might not be an option though. Coleman may play more minutes than I have up there but if I was JB i would certainly ease him into bigger minutes.

Lots of minutes at the 1 for Gbinije. He needs to finally fulfill the promise he has shown. Be aggressive every minute he's on the floor! Shooting, taking it to the tin. His time to be the man has come.

Kaleb has nowhere to go but up. I hope he shot an infinite amount of jump shots this summer.

Lydon and Richardson will be getting important minutes. Both need to be as good as advertised. Let's hope that at least they become legitimate jump shooters for us. Something we have sorely missed in recent years.

I wonder if Howard will be able to earn more than garbage time minutes outside of cupcake games?

Depends on how well he can play the zone. If not, 18 will be out of reach.
I think his ability to shoot the 3 ball will keep him in the rotation regardless, I think that will be more of a focal point of the offfense this year than in years past. G, Cooney, Lydon can all hit from deep; I could see JB really wanting to stretch the floor and have multiple guys in the game who can hit from there. That will open up room for G and Joseph to drive, and Coleman/Roberson to operate in the paint.

What I would like to see. Starters.
G-Gbinije G-Cooney F-Lydon F-Roberson C-Dajuan (Gbinije doesn't try to take over early on).

I typically don't like to start our tall scrappy linuep but...
1.we don't pressure to much early on and this length will cause opponents to shoot and miss 3's early on.
2. Kaleb brings the multi-dimensionality, dribble drive,speed and the aggressive fire scoring guard off the bench that Malachi and Lydon would have to earn (ala Dion Waiters/Scoop.) Hes got to get those shooting percentages up though.

Under 16, Kaleb/Obokoh sub in.
Kaleb,Cooney,Gbinije (slides to forward),Roberson,Obokoh

Under 12, Malachi
Kaleb,Cooney,Gbinije,Malachi,Dajuan/Obokoh
---Malachi stays in to the 4-5 minute mark. Gets a 7-8 minute stretch, hes the type of shooter that needs time to shoot himself into games.
---Roberson gets a rest. He needs to play Center for us to end the first half or when Dajaun/Obokoh get two fouls). Its important he only picks up one the first 8 minutes. Roberson could come back in when Obokoh or Dajaun get their second.

- At some point late I would like to see Lydon get back in, but it doesn't need to be when Roberson is at center. I like the idea of the dribble drive with malachi and Gbinije on the wings when Roberson is at Center if they can rebound.
-Second half Gbinije gets more guard minutes and pressure defense uptop. He plays mainly forward the first half, need him at forward when we go small at center.
-I kept Howard out. If Malachi and Lydon aren't scoring though and he can create plays/scoring by driving the lane put him in there. Howard could spell Cooney and Kaleb a short rest first half while keeping Gbinije out of guard to the second half.

Last edited:
I see Richardson getting a lot more than 18 minutes.

Could be right. Can't wait to see what he can do in Orange. He has an opportunity to take Joseph's minutes if KJ hasn't gotten any better.

What do you like best about Richardson's game?

Could be right. Can't wait to see what he can do in Orange. He has an opportunity to take Joseph's minutes if KJ hasn't gotten any better.

What do you like best about Richardson's game?

I have never seen him play before, other than a few minutes in the Mcdonalds game.

I see some serious lumps throughout this season.

Looking forward to it though as always, especially to see what coleman and our freshman can bring.

I see Richardson getting a lot more than 18 minutes.

That seems very unlikely to me. You know G and Cooney are going to play a ton. MR is not a 3 (rebounding and D are issues) and he's not a PG either. He's a zone busting 2G that will struggle on the defensive end like most freshmen.

I have no idea, but what I do know: Anything that doesn't have G at 39 minutes or more is incorrect. Anything that has Roberson less than 36 min is wrong and anything that has Cooney with less than 37 minutes is folly.

Given Donna D's article this morning, I think we're going to see the same starting lineup with Coleman replacing the departed Christmas.

Joseph 28
Cooney 33
Gbinije 36
Roberson 35
Coleman 30

Gbinije having the versatility to slide to lead guard enables us to substitute either Richardson to play up top on the zone defensively, or Lydon to come in at forward with G up top. The bench minutes will probably look something like:

Lydon 15
Richardson 15
Obokoh 8

Howard is the wild card. Normally, I'd assume that he is the 9th player in an 8 player rotation, and that his minutes will drop off after conference play starts. That is not an indictment of his capabilities / potential, just what is the most likely outcome for year 1, as he gains valuable experience in practice. But if Joseph falters, which I do not expect, then I could see Howard taking on a bigger role.

Last edited:
RF2044 said:
Given Donna D's article this morning, I think we're going to see the same starting lineup with Coleman replacing the departed Christmas. Joseph 28 Cooney 33 Gbinije 36 Roberson 35 Coleman 30 Gbinije having the versatility to slide to lead guard enables us to substitute either Richardson to play up top on the zone defensively, or Lydon to come in at forward with G up top. The bench minutes will probably look something like: Lydon 15 Richardson 15 Obokoh 8 Howard is the wild card. Normally, I'd assume that he is the 9th player in an 8 player rotation, and that his minutes will drop off after conference play starts. That is not an indictment of his capabilities / potential, just what is the most likely outcome for year 1, as he gains valuable experience in practice. But if Joseph falters, which I do not expect, then I could see Howard taking on a bigger role.

Article this morning?

I've thought about this a good amount and I have a feeling we aren't going to play a typical Syracuse style this year. Think positions are overrated with this team. I can see us running a spread the court/shoot the three style this year where we get up and down. Our strength will be shooting, passing and overall being a defensive team that traps a lot. Small Ball could lead us to great success with the players we have at the skill positions this year.

Gbinije 35
Cooney 35
Lydon 24
Roberson 30
Coleman 24
Joseph 22
Malachi 19
Okoboh 7
Howard 4

This team has a really wide range of good and bad.
-We have 2 really good forwards to cover ground block rebound on the defensive end, I think Cooney will surprise defensively after watching orange madness, and we will have two really good guards as well (knock on wood). I would like to see him look alittle more like Senior Triche on the defenisve side of the ball.
Thats 4 out of the 5 positions that have potential to be rock solid defensively. Usually we are lucky if just one of our guards is. It often takes Seniority in the backcourt to get good pressure defensive guards for our system. NBA guys like Dion and MCW being the exceptions. And Lydon has potential to put our second forward defender at better then usual next to Roberson.

-Malachi and Joseph have a ton of 6 man potential. Would like to see us consider starting Lydon over Malachi for that reason.
-Contradictary, defensive lineups are best suited for 5 minutes into the first half but do well right outside the gate in the second.
-You don't want your 6th men to start either if he doesn't do much in the first half teams will underestimate him in the second.

-Howard cracks the rotation for better passing skills and being a better 3 point shooter then joseph I think. That takes pressure off of Cooney to play 34 mpg and him and Gbinije can run the offense with Malachi as the third shooter. To go 8-9 deep your 6 7th and 8th men bring different skills. Joseph and Howard have a different game as young not fully developed freshmen/sophs to compliment each other perfectly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom