So which game do we want more? | Syracusefan.com

So which game do we want more?

SWC75

Bored Historian
The SU football game on Saturday will still be going when the basketball game starts at 2:30. I'll watch the basketball game on my computer and the football on the telly but it brought up the question: if we could win only one, which one would we want the most?

SU football is trying to get to 5-7 so they'd have an outside chance at a bowl that could get them to 6-7.

SU basketball thinks it's one of the best teams in the country but hasn't played anyone we could prove it against. beating South Carolina and Wisconsin. it would sting to come up short in those games. But they are early seaosn games and the sting could be over-come if the team improves.

Let's win both but if we can't, which one do you want more?

The SU football game on Saturday will still be going when the basketball game starts at 2:30. I'll watch the basketball game on my computer and the football on the telly but it brought up the question: if we could win only one, which one would we want the most?

SU football is trying to get to 5-7 so they'd have an outside chance at a bowl that could get them to 6-7.

SU basketball thinks it's one of the best teams in the country but hasn't played anyone we could prove it against. beating South Carolina and Wisconsin. it would sting to come up short in those games. But they are early seaosn games and the sting could be over-come if the team improves.

Football; Basketball game is much less significant to the season. I'm biased though, I care about football more.

Oh geeez, college hoops regular season is borderline insignificant , just the opposite of college football. go 8-8 in your p5 conference with a couple good wins over 4 months and you are in the tournament. the only thing interesting about this game is its cuse's first game against division 1 level talent .

For selfish reasons I'd go hoops because I'm going to the regionals at MSG in March. SU needs a to win a shlit ton of games to get in that East regional over Duke.

An early season bball loss never hurts - good learning opportunity. And our football team needs all the extra practices and national exposure it can get. Football for the win ... and what a win that would be.

Football.

Basketball is gonna dance. Football needs a break.

As of the date of this post, these are the standings:

On the football board, 6 of 8 respondents wanted to win the football game more and there was no uncertainty about it.
On the basketball board, 9 respondents wanted to win the basketball game more. Five wanted the football game and 5 were no committal, (and a certain amount of interpretation was needed in a couple of cases).

That's 11 for football, 11 for basketball and 5 undecided.

I look at it this way: Winning at Pitt could mean a bowl game and 15 more practices but it wouldn't gain us that much prestige and we' are a shell of the team we started with due to injuries anyway. there's no guarantee that would change after a few weeks for the bowl game. We'll have a losing record in any case. It might be better to end things now and get the coaches out on the recruiting trail. A loss, unless it was a terrible blow out wouldn't hurt very much because it's expected, (and I don't even think even a blow-out would matter that much at this point: we've already absorbed several of them). And a bowl game is far from guaranteed.

In basketball we think we have one of the best teams in the country but haven't been able to prove it against quality opposition. A win would allow us to maintain our opinion of the team. A loss would be a punch to the stomach - a temporary one we would survive and a learnin experience for the team for sure. But it would hurt a lot more than a loss to Pitt.

I just think I'd feel better if we beat South Carolina but lost to Pitt than than the other way around. Hopefully we can beat both and it can be a grand Saturday all the way around.

I had to abstain. Too much like asking to pick your favorite child.

Silly premise... win both!
... and have the soccer team advance to the quarterfinals and the women's hoops team win their tourney.

Obviously it's a moot point now but i counted 5 more for football and 4 for basketball, making it 16-15 for football. It's an interesting emasure of our preferences and priorities.

I would say the basketball loss hurt more because it was a dismal performance against what is now an obviously superior team when we thought we had one of the best teams in the country. We might have that someday but not now. I expected the Pitt game might be a blow-out and for much of it it was but we sure made it interesting - and historical- at the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom