So, who are we going to close with? | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

So, who are we going to close with?

Any chance with these guys?
They’d both be fantastic adds but I’m not sure if we’re heavily in the picture with either. Maybe someone else knows.

Edit: appears Stewart may have decided on Tennessee

And what’s with Tennessee fans using orange emojis? That’s not your color and that’s not your name lol. They need a creamsicle emoji or something.

Last edited:
Ouch. Where’s our Purdue friend?
This would be a big time add but I think our friend Tiger may have just been throwing a name out there lol. We’ll see.

I think we definitely need to add more pieces on the DL. We add the freshman Watson as a DT with good size and Diggs who really was playing in the smaller DE roll there. Others are probably too small to add any much this coming season. Our current roster of DL appear to be quite a bit smaller in comparison to what Texas A&M was running on their 4 man front. Also we will be losing some DL pieces including 2 of our better bigger bodies in Lockett and Okechukwu and now play a scheme with 4 DL instead of 3. Below were A&M’s DL starters weights.

NT 325 lbs
DT 290 lbs
DE 290 lbs
DE 260 lbs

And the depth behind them was all similar sized as well if not bigger. See below for their DL depth for the Tennessee game.

View attachment 235952

I think we definitely need to add more pieces on the DL. We add the freshman Watson as a DT with good size and Diggs who really was playing in the smaller DE roll there. Others are probably too small to add any much this coming season. Our current roster of DL appear to be quite a bit smaller in comparison to what Texas A&M was running on their 4 man front. Also we will be losing some DL pieces including 2 of our better bigger bodies in Lockett and Okechukwu and now play a scheme with 4 DL instead of 3. Below were A&M’s DL starters weights.

NT 325 lbs
DT 290 lbs
DE 290 lbs
DE 260 lbs

And the depth behind them was all similar sized as well if not bigger. See below for their DL depth for the Tennessee game.

View attachment 235952

Fran definitely understands and knows that the trenches need a make over across the board. He is trying to get new guys on board but can’t land everyone he wants. It sucks the guys he’s tried to get have gone to major schools so we can’t complain.

The roster will shake out

The numbers will work themselves out -- they ALWAYS do.

I think that people need to understand that there will be two more waves of players entering the portal, which will drive an influx of new names. The first will happen after bowl season ends. The second will happen after spring ball, when players are disgruntled by their placement on the depth chart.

So I don't expect Fran and staff to finalize the roster until well into spring. No need to take "best available" at positions of need, if they expect that there will be better options in a month, or three months.