So Who Is The First Portaler? | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

So Who Is The First Portaler?

Your response was irrelevant, because it had nothing to do with mine.

I was disagreeing with the notion that Taylor might consider redshirting a year after being a starter, when it's largely known that he's portalling out.

Work on your reading comprehension.
Calm down there bud, don’t take it so personally.

Because he’s not good enough, not consistent enough, not smart enough. And it’s not even close.
Soooo...he's Stuart Smalley?

problems flaws GIF

Copeland stopped going to class
Then i would not allow him to play. Period. U cant do simple things like finish and goto classes then he should be off team too. Immediatly and if Red lets him play in NIT, i will know he doesnt have the coaching toughness we need.

I know Westry is talented. I've never bashed the kid. I just think it's not wise to project his impact when he has been injured for so long.

The videos I've seen of Westry mostly goes back to HS / AAU ball. He looks like a more muscular, more physical version of Copeland, but maybe not quite such a fancy passer. But a big strong guard / forward type, but not a SF because he doesn't really have a 3 point shot.

He might turn into a very good player for us. I hope he does. But if I'm planning next year's roster, just look at Cuffe. He was a really explosive player, can make a 3 and get to the rim, if you look at his historical footage. Similarly to Westry, a very talented (but different) player.

Cuffe wins the 3 point contest at both our pre-season kickoff events. Looks like he might be getting back, but he was kind of rusty all season, at least offensively. I saw effort from him on defense, but also saw him sometimes lose shooters, particularly from the wing-to-corner area, maybe not tracking all the way down low to cover a guard who might be a shooter.

Overall, I think you would probably agree that Cuffe shows flashes of talent, but was rusty this year, and didn't really break into the rotation. But he might be very good next year as a third or fourth guard in our rotation.

And with respect to Copeland - if Copeland leaves, some people have Westry simply plugging in for his role in the rotation. And maybe that will happen. But it's a risk. Copeland has played at Syracuse for 2 years now. If he can just keep self-control and show a little better judgment, he could be an incredible player for us.

If all 3 of those guys are competing for time at guard next year, I would put Copeland ahead of the other two guys. I didn't ever say Westry wasn't worth a gamble. But Red maybe too many gambles on guys coming off injuries, and too many of those gambles didn't work out.
I think all of this fair. I took your comment to suggest that red made a mistake in taking westry

I wasn't on the game thread the other night, so not sure if this was discussed. In the first half, Q gets an outlet pass and he's all alone, decides to drive against three NC State players and naturally gets stuffed. Can't believe what I'm watching. It's the most obvious play, just pull up, wait for your teammates and set up the offense. Second half rolls around and he does the exact same thing. If basics like this are so difficult for him, I don't see how he's the starting pg next year.
Yeah, I talked about that very play in another thread. It was actually four nc state defenders. Maybe watching Mintz drive into crowed defenses looking for fouls rubbed off on him last game. It was frustrating to watch, for sure.

For me, the last game caused me to cool off on Q. I've been a really big fan this year and he was progressing pretty well over the course of the season. The last game it was really disappointing to see him regress by making poor decisions, being mouthy, and not making the smart basketball play.

Joe actually avg'd more FGs a game than Judah last year.

Buddy avg'd 5 more FGs a game than anyone else on the team for 2 years in a row.

Not saying I disagree with your take. Certainly this year it played this way.

Interesting how one player Buddy Backdown'ed his way to a 16-17 record yet it was never suggested that he was more interested in personal points than wins.

Just sayin'
That team lost due to defense, not offense. Losing Edwards for the last 10 games was a killer. And not having Torrance to help relieve pressure might have cost a couple of games, too.

Yeah, I talked about that very play in another thread. It was actually four nc state defenders. Maybe watching Mintz drive into crowed defenses looking for fouls rubbed off on him last game. It was frustrating to watch, for sure.

For me, the last game caused me to cool off on Q. I've been a really big fan this year and he was progressing pretty well over the course of the season. The last game it was really disappointing to see him regress by making poor decisions, being mouthy, and not making the smart basketball play.
Even before seeing all of the comments here about Q, my impression from the NCSU game was that he was making his last stand in an orange uni. Will be interesting to see if everyone is available for the NIT game(s).

Even before seeing all of the comments here about Q, my impression from the NCSU game was that he was making his last stand in an orange uni. Will be interesting to see if everyone is available for the NIT game(s).
Yeah, that game was strange. He seemed more brazen and reckless. That's probably why I came away very disappointed with him. Usually I don't react as much after just one game.

Not saying Symir is good but he’s 4th in the nation in assists per game. It just shows that borderline HM guys can put up numbers on mid majors.
In the year Symir played the most at Syracuse (2021-22), his assist rate was 9.0/40 min. He played 13.1 min/game and he had 2.9 A/game. At Binghamton his assist rate is 8.9/40 min. He played 32.3 min/game and he had 7.2 A/game. So his assist rate at Binghamton was the same as his best year at Syracuse -- he just played more.

Taylor . And very soon. But he won't be the last. We have to clean up the culture on this team. Not that Taylor is a culture problem. He isn't. Others are. And the talent.
I'm in favor of Justin Taylor staying. All accounts even to the detriment of team his work ethic and attitude got him playing time. This summer he takes that work ethic and does the things he needs to improve. Remember Lazarus Sims and Howard Triche? They both had disastrous first two seasons. Then both turned it around,became valuable starters and played in championship games.

I'm in favor of Justin Taylor staying. All accounts even to the detriment of team his work ethic and attitude got him playing time. This summer he takes that work ethic and does the things he needs to improve. Remember Lazarus Sims and Howard Triche? They both had disastrous first two seasons. Then both turned it around,became valuable starters and played in championship games.
I'm good either way. I would love to see JT turn it around and to do it while wearing orange. However, his issue isn't like Sims and Triche though. He showed last year he had a game that most all of us expected only to flourish. Something broke for him this year. He went Ben Simmons, afraid to shoot. I would love to know how he looks in practice.

From people seemingly in the know...

he gone

Sometimes people are what they show you. Copland has no business being a starting point guard in the ACC. He had the perfect role this year. If he wants more that’s fine, it’s just not going to be here. No hard feelings. Let’s get a 6 foot point guard who can shot and pass. We don’t have to be married to to 6’4 combo guard who we convert anymore. It’s been too long since Tyler Ennis.

Last edited:
Why TF would copeland not be starting PG next year? Baffled
Because he has no clue how to play the position. You can’t be a human turnover machine and be a point guard. You don’t get extra points for stupid passes that might get through 20% of the time. When you learn to make the simple pass 100% time and forget trying to make a home run pass 100% time, you might get a chance to play point. After two years, Copeland has learned very little trying to make 50/50 passes.

Because he has no clue how to play the position. You can’t be a human turnover machine and be a point guard. You don’t get extra points for stupid passes that might get through 20% of the time. When you learn to make the simple pass 100% time and forget trying to make a home run pass 100% time, you might get a chance to play point. After two years, Copeland has learned very little trying to make 50/50 passes.
Some of the best playmakers in the game at all levels are turnover prone. You live with TOs when the player is gifted enough

Everybody would like to see less turnovers but Copeland makes passes that other players simply cannot

Come on brother outside of Kadary cope is the most gifted playmaker we have had in decades
He was a playmaker when it benefited him, when he could make a flashy play, outside of that he was spinning here and spinning there, turning it over and chucking threes. Everyone remembers the oooos and ahhhhhs, but most of the time the results after were awful. The issue with that is, you don’t remember the awful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom