So Who Is The First Portaler? | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

So Who Is The First Portaler?

That's the state of Syracuse radio these days, yeah?

I mean... that was a rough listen.
They are Soo bad. Infante knows more than he shows and probably pulls back on what could be said

How about at the beginning of the year people were saying that we got our 1st round pick to come back to school…..now 31 games later he’s out of NBA talk and possibly heading to one of the worst P6 schools. Very humbling I’d say

Were you here then? When we got JJ, Westry, Cuffe and McLeod people were giddy. And the only one we recruited hard before was Westry.
i was happy with the portal season - i assumed that cuffe jj and westry were good to go with their injuries based on the staff wanting them - which didnt quite work out...jj had rust, cuffe had a lot of rust...westry didnt play.

i was not a fan of mcleod...

in hindsight it wasnt as good as I thought...i trusted the coaches assumptions, to a certain degree...and they were inaccurate.

i wanted different forwards and centers...still do. but i assumed the coaches knew what they were doing there...

my point is just i hope they cast a wide net and dont only go for players with a previous relationship. yes IT CAN get you some sought after players ...but makes your pool unnecessarily small...im not saying dont go for players with a previous relationship!

also going back to how JB was going after every city rock and boeheim was ptsd-inducing

yeah its all about relationships to a certain extent...im just saying dont ONLY go for prior connects. like they seemed to first try...

grad transfers and portal guys looking to move up a league are not going to schools bc of relationships...knecht likely (speculating) didnt go to tenn bc of prior rlationships. my point.

they are going for opportunity and spotlight...which SU has to offer ANYONE.

He made more slip passes to Maliq than any other guard in fewer minutes. He threw more successful lob feeds than any other guard. He had the ability to get to the rim at will against smaller defenders. When locked in, he played good on-ball defense. This kid could be 2nd team All ACC next year, and I could see him and JJ starting together, with Choppa and Cuffe off the bench, and sure, Westry if he's healthy. That could be pretty good.
I think that's the super best case scenario. I admit he makes some plays that get me up off the couch. Plays we haven't seen in a few years but he tries to hit a 5 run home run most of the time. Eventually that catches up with you. Smarter more discipline PGs will expose him over the course of a game. Giving him 30+ minutes at pg will see his turnovers increase to where he can't productively lead a team.

How about at the beginning of the year people were saying that we got our 1st round pick to come back to school…..now 31 games later he’s out of NBA talk and possibly heading to one of the worst P6 schools. Very humbling I’d say
Confidence has never been an issue with him though.

We need to use the portal so as to have a pf playing pf. No one had to guard JT thus allowing the other team to pack the paint. That was the nail in the coffin for our dribble drive offense.

I think that's the super best case scenario. I admit he makes some plays that get me up off the couch. Plays we haven't seen in a few years but he tries to hit a 5 run home run most of the time. Eventually that catches up with you. Smarter more discipline PGs will expose him over the course of a game. Giving him 30+ minutes at pg will see his turnovers increase to where he can't productively lead a team.
Part of what I don’t understand with this argument is where people think these experienced guards are coming from. Sorry but Beekman and Davis and all these good guards we played this year are gone. Our guys that come back will be the elder statesman next year.

Name me the most experienced guard in the ACC next year? I’m not that worried about them. I am worried about who comes to the ACC from the portal but that on Autry to get better portal guys too.

Part of what I don’t understand with this argument is where people think these experienced guards are coming from. Sorry but Beekman and Davis and all these good guards we played this year are gone. Our guys that come back will be the elder statesman next year.

Name me the most experienced guard in the ACC next year? I’m not that worried about them. I am worried about who comes to the ACC from the portal but that on Autry to get better portal guys too.
It’s a year by year contract for players, there will be plenty to pick from the auction block.

He has had to play out of position all year. How many two guards are successful power forwards? The shot and confidence need to be repaired but he gave his best effort and was undersized and overmatched all year long, not because he wasn't any good, it was due to playing the four. Mot a lot of 6-6 fours at high level D-1. Not saying he won't transfer or his shot can be fixed but he worked hard all year and never complained about playing the four.
Last I checked, having a label as a 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5, doesn't magically change the fact that you can or can't put a basketball in a hoop, and it also does not magically make you miss layups. In Taylor's case putting him at his "correct" position will not change that extremely awkward looking shot.

Yes, he makes some really terrible turnovers.
He needs to make the simple play more consistently.
But he's more talented than probably anybody we're going to get in the portal to replace him
If we can’t find anyone better than Q… that means red and co. are not cut out for this job. Holy inferiority complex.

If we can’t find anyone better than Q… that means red and co. are not cut out for this job. Holy inferiority complex.

Let's just keep it real here. Q played 22 minutes a game this year.

If he plays 28 minutes a game next year, and simply matches this year's numbers, he will provide us with 12 points, 6 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 2 steals a game.

That's no improvement in his game; just give us what he gave us this year, warts and all, and he just plays another 6 minutes a game, time he spent on the bench watching Justin Taylor start every game.

That's not too far off of Brandon Triche's senior year; maybe a point less, a couple rebounds more, and an extra assist.

Don't throw away players - especially not 3 or 4 of them all at once - if you don't have replacements lined up.

If he plays 28 minutes a game next year, and simply matches this year's numbers, he will provide us with 12 points, 6 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 2 steals a game.

That's no improvement in his game; just give us what he gave us this year, warts and all, and he just plays another 6 minutes a game, time he spent on the bench watching Justin Taylor start every game.

That's not too far off of Brandon Triche's senior year; maybe a point less, a couple rebounds more, and an extra assist.

Don't throw away players - especially not 3 or 4 of them all at once - if you don't have replacements lined up.
It’s a moot point because he won’t be here.

If Q gives us what he gave us this year next year then the team is no good again. Pretty wild that people seem to forget we always used to have a couple at a minimum fringe NBA guys on every team. There are literally 0 on this roster. There is 1 player (Brown) who would be worthy of meaningful minutes on any good Syracuse team in my lifetime.

At what cost?

Gotta love the space where the kids leaving in the portal think somehow they're going to wind up in a better situation, coaching etc., and fans that think we're just going to upgrade at every position leaving like the coaching staff just gets to pick who they want. Everyone needs a little more perspective in reality, a lot of posts are insane

Gotta love the space where the kids leaving in the portal think somehow they're going to wind up in a better situation, coaching etc., and fans that think we're just going to upgrade at every position leaving like the coaching staff just gets to pick who they want. Everyone needs a little more perspective in reality, a lot of posts are insane
Orange United needs to swap out Mintz as the face of donating. Pronto.

How many players can Georgetown take? I hope we don’t play Georgetown next season. Tired that they have not kept up their team over the recent years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom