Solution to the Running Game Problem | Syracusefan.com

Solution to the Running Game Problem

Human cloning has yet to be perfected...
...don't be so sure about that. Somewhere in a far off clandestine laboratory, scientists are busy ;-)

Worth bringing up the 44 debate again in my opinion.

Is dino the coach that could utilize this properly in recruiting a top 10 running back?

Look what hes doing in our wideout/o line recruitment alone.

I think its too early to tell, but worth a thought.

Worth bringing up the 44 debate again in my opinion.

Is dino the coach that could utilize this properly in recruiting a top 10 running back?

Look what hes doing in our wideout/o line recruitment alone.

I think its too early to tell, but worth a thought.

I think you're right. However I think it should be given later in a players career. Too tough to give to a freshman especially if you're the first to wear it in over 20 something years

...don't be so sure about that. Somewhere in a far off clandestine laboratory, scientists are busy ;-)
Why do you think SU bills itself as 'research university'? ;)

The solution is to recruit a RB

Agree, dangling the #44 in a recruits face to attract him to the program is ludicrous and disrespectful to his teammates. 18 yo kids have no idea about the 44 history, probably dont like the numerics, as 44 is more of a LB thing these days, and when you ordain a kid with 44 at 18 years of age; what's that message say to the rest of the players? So dumb.

Agree, dangling the #44 in a recruits face to attract him to the program is ludicrous and disrespectful to his teammates. 18 yo kids have no idea about the 44 history, probably dont like the numerics, as 44 is more of a LB thing these days, and when you ordain a kid with 44 at 18 years of age; what's that message say to the rest of the players? So dumb.

We did it with Rob Konrad and I don’t remember anyone complaining.

I don’t know about any hard and fast rule. If there’s a guy who has all the attributes that the number entails and they want it - it should be in play.

But in general, it’s good that it’s not handed out every year.

We did it with Rob Konrad and I don’t remember anyone complaining.

Geeez, great point, but that was the 90's , correct? Things have changed since then. Since then, the RB position has been vastly devalued.

Have you guys checked out the hoops board today? If all it takes to get a top RB recruit is a frickin shirt with the #44 on it we should be offering it up in a heartbeat.

These threads were more interesting to read when we were kind of sucky. Can't believe this is a thread when we have a real game to think about this weekend.

The retirement of #44, perhaps our greatest, almost mythical tradition, was the epitome of the sucktitude during the Gross, Grob, Cantor nightmare.

It seemed every game at the dome back then involved some retirement ceremony essentially signaling the end of Syracuse football while maybe adding a couple more ticket sales.

Screw that.

Bringing it back now is fitting as we make our way home to rightful prominence. I'd do it at the end of the season preferably and hopefully around the time of a bowl game, create some buzz.

Remember who we are, this LSU old-timer does....

"I don’t know where some of the fan base got the idea Syracuse is a nothing school. Up east they have a long and storied football tradition. They are not a Nicholls State or weak sister team. No not SEC top of the line level, but they can hold their own. The three times I’ve seen them play LSU (including a mid-1960s Sugar Bowl), they have played the Tigers for 60 minutes of tough ball; the outcome was always in doubt - and the arrogant ignorant parts of our fan base were always surprised, because they always underestimated the Orangemen from Syracuse."

Last edited:
There's a reason Darren McFadden was a top ranked RB in the NFL two years go with the cowboys - and it all had to do with their Offensive Line. If I was building a team, it would start with the OL and DL. When you have dominant linemen - everything else becomes easier. Hell, look at BC a couple years ago when they made a bowl. It wasn't because their skill players were off the charts. They had a dominant OL that had 5 RS OLmen who managed to do make their low level talent look respectable. It all starts there. We have redshirted a lot of Offensive Linemen. I would place a really strong bet that last years and this years OL recruiting class will be very good in the next year or so. That will improve a lot of things.

Our OL will be very good in future years.

Our running game is entirely contingent upon that IMHO.

Add in the fact we have a few stellar RBs in the mix (along with Pierre)...

And there's your solution.

I just find it hard to believe that #44 would be much of a carrot to dangle to a 17 year old who wasn't even alive when Rob Konrad last wore it. The kid wouldn't even know who Rob Konrad was. They better know who J.B., F.L., and E.D. are, but those guys played ball before color t.v.
In 1996-1997 I was a senior in high school. It would be like a recruiter telling me if I went to "X" school, I could have "X" number just like the last guy that wore it in 1975. Or I could get number "X" just like those well known guys that wore it back in the 1910's and 1920's. It's ancient history to a kid. Sorry, but that just wouldn't matter to me. That's just me. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe some stud athlete would care, but I highly doubt it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom