Some People Aren't Going to Like Hearing This... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Some People Aren't Going to Like Hearing This...

He probably underacheived a little at UW. Didn't have USC talent there but some very good players still. Couple of bowl games. He's GREAT with QBs and Haden as well as Pete Carroll love him.
DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT PETE CARROLL COACHING RECOMMENDATIONS

111608gregrobinson3jpg-44bdd99574b1cbe6.jpg

I keep thinking if they didn't have 5 turn overs they might have put 6o+ up on us. Two or three of them were on them rather than caused by us.

This.

Lots of people are proclaiming that if we capitalize off the turnovers (mostly in our territory, by the way), we should have won that game.

First off, I won't even touch the last part (should have won) as that is just insane. However, there are two benefits to turnovers-- gives you a chance to score with some momentum, and stops your opponent from scoring.

Those turnovers stopped ND from scoring. That's all we really could hope for.

Their QB completed what, close to 30 straight? And people were telling me if you reversed the teams Hunt played on par with Golson? "Yeah well, they were simple passes mostly". Yeah? How many passes within 10 yards of the LOS do we botch.

What planet am I on?

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT PETE CARROLL COACHING RECOMMENDATIONS

111608gregrobinson3jpg-44bdd99574b1cbe6.jpg

That has to be the pic from "if you play Akron 100 times how many times should you lose to them ?"

Ha. Oy. Did Carroll really recommend him?!
yes, they were roommates at pacific and it never occured to gross to take it with a grain of salt

i'll never forget the sinking feeling when he started talking about west coast offense

This.

Lots of people are proclaiming that if we capitalize off the turnovers (mostly in our territory, by the way), we should have won that game.

First off, I won't even touch the last part (should have won) as that is just insane. However, there are two benefits to turnovers-- gives you a chance to score with some momentum, and stops your opponent from scoring.

Those turnovers stopped ND from scoring. That's all we really could hope for.

Their QB completed what, close to 30 straight? And people were telling me if you reversed the teams Hunt played on par with Golson? "Yeah well, they were simple passes mostly". Yeah? How many passes within 10 yards of the LOS do we botch.

What planet am I on?

Logic and reality often gets ignored here. Instead we get scolded for being real about things.

Ha. Oy. Did Carroll really recommend him?!

Oversimplified answer: TGD came from USC. Upon P being dismissed, he reached out to Carroll for recommendations, Carroll recommended GRob--I think they were friends from college, and may have roomed together / coached together early on. TGD also had some background connection with GRob [from the Jets, I thnk].

I don't know that the Carroll recommendation is what put GRob over the top, but it probably carried more sway than it should have, given Gross's close ties to USC.

Oversimplified answer: TGD came from USC. Upon P being dismissed, he reached out to Carroll for recommendations, Carroll recommended GRob--I think they were friends from college, and may have roomed together / coached together early on. TGD also had some background connection with GRob [from the Jets, I thnk].

I don't know that the Carroll recommendation is what put GRob over the top, but it probably carried more sway than it should have, given Gross's close ties to USC.
Mack Brown also recommended him. Waiting for the obvious joke....

Right. I'm remembering some of this now. Some Jets ties I think you are right.

yes, they were roommates at pacific and it never occured to gross to take it with a grain of salt

i'll never forget the sinking feeling when he started talking about west coast offense

Completely forgot about that re: Pacific. Good look.

You have to make plays with your talent level though. That is how BC beat USC. Its hard to upset more talented teams and we didn't have anything to exploit from a playmaker perspective.

We are in the process of transitioning from a run-first offense into a finesse/spread offense. We just don't have playmakers on the outside yet to account for it and we really shouldn't be putting the ball in the air on 3rd and 1 anyways. People were complaining about that just last week! Then Kool Kid puts in Moore and tries to run it, gets stopped and now people are all like, you need to throw there!

The staff has shown they aren't playing it safe and fans have ripped them some for it (such as the onside kick). We ran a fake punt. I didn't see anything in that game about playing it safe. I saw an offensive line get decimated off the line consistently. No playbook can alter that.

The onsides kick and the fake punt occurred in the 2nd half when we were somewhat desperate. Why not control your destiny more by taking a shot at a direct TD on 3rd and 1 down 20 at their 30 yard line? - Also in the 2nd half. And then if you're not successful, you go for it on 4th.

I agree the offensive line is struggling but I think that is all the more reason to take a shot when you are down there because we can't sustain drives and don't have playmakers, and we may not be able to get there again. So in the end, the coaches need to figure out how to make that happen with our talent. Thats why they get paid and we just criticize on a forum. :) I'm not saying its easy but hey, they make more $ than I do so they should be able to figure it out.

RF2044 said:
Oversimplified answer: TGD came from USC. Upon P being dismissed, he reached out to Carroll for recommendations, Carroll recommended GRob--I think they were friends from college, and may have roomed together / coached together early on. TGD also had some background connection with GRob [from the Jets, I thnk]. I don't know that the Carroll recommendation is what put GRob over the top, but it probably carried more sway than it should have, given Gross's close ties to USC.

It was far more than that too.

RF2044 said:
Hence, why I shortened it to specifically address the topic being discussed.

You over simplified it.

RF2044 said:
What part of "oversimplified" did you miss from my note? :cool:

I agreed with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online