some perspective | Syracusefan.com

some perspective

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
I'm thinking of writing a letter to ADMC in support of Shafer and some preliminary research has been pretty surprising.

Can you guess whose record this is for (all intensive purposes) his 1st 5 yrs as a head coach? The team was coming off of a 5-6 season prior to him starting:

6-5-1
6-6
7-5
6-6
9-2

Since it seems I have all of you stumped, the answer is Nick Saban.

Yep we have another Nick Saban on our hands here. So many similarities.

"We're 3-0 !"

I am not sure if you read my original post, but I didn't compare shafer and saban. Though, Saban may have been on the hot seat after year 4, no?

The worst thing you can do is pull the trigger too early would be my main point.

I'm thinking of writing a letter to ADMC in support of Shafer and some preliminary research has been pretty surprising.

Can you guess whose record this is for (all intensive purposes) his 1st 5 yrs as a head coach? The team was coming off of a 5-6 season prior to him starting:

6-5-1
6-6
7-5
6-6
9-2

Not sure that helps your case.

He took a team that had a losing record, didn't have one losing season, obviously didn't go 3-9 at any point, let alone two back to back losing seasons.

I've posted it a few times. Look at Coach Mac's first few years. After 2 years he is 6-15-1. It took him 7 years to get to .500 winning %. Sorry but all rebuilds can not be like Michigan or Pitt. The coaches have earned time.

I am not sure if you read my original post, but I didn't compare shafer and saban. Though, Saban may have been on the hot seat after year 4, no?

The worst thing you can do is pull the trigger too early would be my main point.

If Shafer was 25-22-1 after four years here there might be some delusional sniping, but nobody to take seriously.

But that's not close to what is happening here.

Last edited:
Not sure that helps your case.

He took a team that had a losing record, didn't have one losing season, obviously didn't go 3-9 at any point, let alone two back to back losing seasons.

1. Michigan State never dropped to the level of GROB era.
  2. Shafer hasnt had 2 back to back losing seasons
  3. Again - I wasnt comparing coach for coach. I was doing "preliminary research" for a letter to the AD in support of the Coach. This is 1 example of 15 things I have already looked up. This is arguably the best coach in the history of the game that fans were probably sick of after 4 seasons for not improving at all.

I've posted it a few times. Look at Coach Mac's first few years. After 2 years he is 6-15-1. It took him 7 years to get to .500 winning %. Sorry but all rebuilds can not be like Michigan or Pitt. The coaches have earned time.

Mac had one horrendous year, this team regardless of the reasons, is looking at another really bad record.

Shafer is looking down the barrel of 13-24 taking over a program that had gone 21-17 the three years before he was named HC.

I said on Sept. 5th that I think this whole season is a bunch of scrimmages for next year, but you want to talk wins and losses, they haven't earned anything.

1. Michigan State never dropped to the level of GROB era.
  2. Shafer hasnt had 2 back to back losing seasons
  3. Again - I wasnt comparing coach for coach. I was doing "preliminary research" for a letter to the AD in support of the Coach. This is 1 example of 15 things I have already looked up. This is arguably the best coach in the history of the game that fans were probably sick of after 4 seasons for not improving at all.

1) Shafer didn't take over the team after GRob
2) We are on track for back to back losing seasons
3) Fans were not sick of Saban after 4 seasons. Going 3 - 9 is not an improvement. It's much easier to argue you're improving when you have 6 - 7 wins. We'd kill for that now.

I'm not trying to flame, really. I just don't see any similarity at all. Coaching situations aren't even apples to oranges.

Yep we have another Nick Saban on our hands here. So many similarities.

"We're 3-0 !"

I think the point is that in many instances even where the coach appears to be a superstar coach, it takes time.

It took Coach Mac time, it took Coach Beamer time, it will take Coach Shafer time.

I am in the camp of showing some patience. Impatience can cause situations like the Pitt situation where the program has had six coaches in ten years.

3) Fans were not sick of Saban after 4 seasons. Going 3 - 9 is not an improvement. It's much easier to argue you're improving when you have 6 - 7 wins. We'd kill for that now.

I'm not trying to flame, really. I just don't see any similarity at all. Coaching situations aren't even apples to oranges.

Fans are not sick of Shafer.

There is obvious improvement in this team, regardless of the record.

I think the point is that in many instances even where the coach appears to be a superstar coach, it takes time.

It took Coach Mac time, it took Coach Beamer time, it will take Coach Shafer time.

I am in the camp of showing some patience. Impatience can cause situations like the Pitt situation where the program has had six coaches in ten years.

The other item, unless I've missed something, is that we do not have the committed financial resources to go out and get an established elite coach and staff.

We need to grow our coaching talent as of now. I'm on board with Shafer. He has to grow as a coach and be willing to adjust his staff, but I back him.

Could knows all those facts. He will probably make a reasoned decision. It could go either way and he will have considered all the arguments.

Im not making similarities between Nick Saban and Scott Shafer

That doesn't really change my perspective.

You mean, the PITT team that beat us yesterday and has beaten us pretty consistently recently?

sorry you lost me at "intensive purposes" . best do some more research before you write that letter.

ha interesting. I guess Im a little embarrassed to say that I never realized that was the incorrect phrase.

And I'm even more embarrassed that my wife is a very talented Newhouse PR grad who is by far the worst stickler for grammar I've ever met.

for intentional purpose

No the phrase is " for all intents and purposes"

What the hell does intentional purpose mean?

Do people do things for unintentional purposes?

ha interesting. I guess Im a little embarrassed to say that I never realized that was the incorrect phrase.

And I'm even more embarrassed that my wife is a very talented Newhouse PR grad who is by far the worst stickler for grammar I've ever met.

I thought you were making a joke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom