Some thoughts on Hobart | Syracusefan.com

Some thoughts on Hobart

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Doesnt look like it on paper but pretty big game for Syracuse. With Duke looming next week and Colgate with an exception faceoff guy the week after and Syracuse battling for a top 4 seed a loss here would be absolutely devestating for seeding purposes.

All that being said with Syracuse losing to them last year (in a game we never should have lost by the way) and all the media attention this I can't think of a better scenario for Syracuse going into the game and a worse one for Hobart. Ward mentioned the Hobart game in the PC after the UNC game so its clearly on the teams mind and they wont be looking past this game or taking the team lightly. Second you get the feeling that Desko and the offense as a whole let up last year when they got up 3+ goals twice in the second half last year. I suspect if he gets the chance Desko is going to send a message this year and hes going to have the O step on there throats until its clear theres no chance for a comeback. Third Hobart is without its best player by far as Alex Love is not expected to play and most beleive he is out for the year (nothing official but 99% hes done). I hate to use absolutes when it comes to Syracuse sports especially in games there favored but I would be borderline shocked if we lost this game.

Some matchup thoughts.
Daddio on paper has a HUGE advantage (who would ever think I would type that).
Hobart is using a frosh faceoff after they lost there two experienced guys to unknown personal reasons. Their frosh Shapiro has taken nearly all the draws and is under 50%. To his credit his numbers have been better recently but Daddio with his experience should turn in a performance similar to what he did against UNC last week when he went 18-26. Now I dont expect those exact results but even something like 15-27 would be great. Wing play is going to be important hear as I suspect Hobart will try to muck it up like we did vs ND. Going to be important that McCartney, Schoonie, and Firman do a decent job here and support Daddio.

With Love gone Hobart relies on three players, Cam Stone, McHenry and Opsahl. Opsahl is a lefty like love who really bothered SU the past couple years, will be interesting to see who desko puts on him, Firman? I suspect Mullins will draw Stone with Young on McHenry. Hobart's O is a good unit but no where near as potent as half the teams Syracuse has faced this year including UNC and probably Cornell to though thats pretty close if Love was healthy. No reason this Hobart team should score 10+ goals barring an absolute total D meltdown. Hobart middies are not relatively strong outside of Opsahl, will be interestiing to see how Messina, Grimm, and Jenkins matchup. Look for McCartney and Harris to have a shot at several caused To's.

From an SU offensive standpoint we should have a field day. One concern is the Hobart Goalie, kid has had 18 saves in consecutive years and really stood on his head against Syracuse (also had 18 saves earlier this year against Cornell). Going to be critical that Syracuse try to change up there shot angles and placement, this kid has Syracuse scouted pretty well. New guys to the team like Staats, Galasso and the frosh should have an advantage here. I am fully expecting the Hobart goalie to stand on his head again so its going to be critical we continue to pepper the goal as often as possible and just wear him down. Hobart's overall D is not that good, guys like Staats, Galasso, Schoonmaker should have a field day with Hobart concentrating on Rice, Donahue, Ward etc. Also keep an eye on Derek Maltz, he has killed Hobart in the past and could be in line for another big game, look for him to play a little more then normal especially if the Hobart goalie is on early.
Would also like to see Desko and staff try to wear down the Hobart D, there not a great group to begin with (outside of the goalie) and they have zero depth. Syracuse should run 3 mid lines and rotate liberally at attack with Maltz. Going to be critical Syracuse not try to force things if the Hobart goalie is hot early, it only plays into their hands.

Intangibles - This game is Hobarts season and pretty much there super bowl. While tough to say from my desk here in Syracuse, our guys need to play with the same kind of intensity for the entire game. The last two years Syracuse has opened up huge leads only to see Hobart come storming back and win last year and nearly win two years ago. This should be a statement game for Syracuse and the type of game they win 16-7 or something similar. The talent and depth gap on the two teams is enormous especially with Love not playing and honestly even if he was Syracuse should still win comfortably. I would like to see Syracuse come out and set the tone early and have the score be 4 or 5 to 1 at the end of the first. After last years loss and our battle for seeding this game should finally mean as much to SU as it does for Hobart.

Very nice summary. Agree that I would like to see our guys out the hammer down early and stay on it all game. No let up. I actually think Mullins will draw Mchenry as he is their most prolific scorer.

Very nice summary. Agree that I would like to see our guys out the hammer down early and stay on it all game. No let up. I actually think Mullins will draw Mchenry as he is their most prolific scorer.

You could be right on Mullins but Stone is there only real "QB" type of player. He is the schools all time assist guy and the O really runs through him. Based on that I wouldnt be shocked if Desko put Mullins on him but I could see it the other way to. Opsahl is actually playing attack now not midde with Love out so I think he will draw Harris which is an interesting matchup to say the least. Wouldnt be surprised if Firman sees time on him.

Stone is clearly the guy they run the O through so you could be right. If they can make life difficult for him, which I think our D can, it might be a long day for Hobart. The D has been playing much better the last few games. Also interested to see if Desko mixes up the first and second mid lines here if we build a nice lead.

Stone is clearly the guy they run the O through so you could be right. If they can make life difficult for him, which I think our D can, it might be a long day for Hobart. The D has been playing much better the last few games. Also interested to see if Desko mixes up the first and second mid lines here if we build a nice lead.

I think Desko will absolutly mix up the lines even if the games close I think. We have had much more success with second line recently then the first so I am sure we will continue to see different variations. If Syracuse can slow down Stone and McHenry it will absolutely be a long day for Hobart, the only other threat is Opsahl and he isnt exactly a volume scorer. Plus if Harris does struggle with him Desko will surely make a quick change.

I'd like to see the quick hook on Loy and Lecky if they start turning the ball over and/or taking bad shots like they did against UNC. Give Evans and Galsso some more run with Schoony. Also hoping Maltz can find the back of the net a couple of times tomorrow. He's due.

I'd like to see the quick hook on Loy and Lecky if they start turning the ball over and/or taking bad shots like they did against UNC. Give Evans and Galsso some more run with Schoony. Also hoping Maltz can find the back of the net a couple of times tomorrow. He's due.

Agreed on all points. Maltz has owned Hobart in the past so I suspect he can/will have a big game. Maltz has to angle his doorstep shots as he is hitting to many pipes and getting stoned on point blank looks he should be burying. Really hoping for a Syracuse run away win tomorrow would be great to see a comfortable win and get some of the younger guys some PT.

Happy to see this game on a weekend afternoon with good weather. Anxious to watch today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom