Someone please swear on their life that Frank Howard will challenge Joseph for minutes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Someone please swear on their life that Frank Howard will challenge Joseph for minutes

we're going to have so many options next year its crazy. I think Howard and Lydon get redshirted
We've heard that every year for a number of years now. Our offense just keeps getting worse and worse. Those "options" don't seem to really exist other than on paper.

Joseph is the reason we didn't lose by 30 today. He's improving weekly and is going to be a darn good starting point guard at this time next year.

He and Christmas are the only two people on the team who haven't earned criticism today.
It was nice to see him make the foul line jumpers again, but he killed us in the first half playing tenative, and passing up open looks

We've heard that every year for a number of years now. Our offense just keeps getting worse and worse. Those "options" don't seem to really exist other than on paper.
I hear ya...many thought this team would be a better half court O than last year, but while we actually have two 3 pt threats, we have no one who can create for others off the bounce.

I hear ya...many thought this team would be a better half court O than last year, but while we actually have two 3 pt threats, we have no one who can create for others off the bounce.

I thought our overall offense would be better... And i think most agreed with me. But it wasn't because of half court offense...

It was because Kjo was going to push the ball and we were going to score fast break points again.

I honestly can't tell you the last fast break point we scored was. Im sure we scored a few vs wake... but i don't recall.

Remember in 2010 and 2012... we would score a dozen + per game.

Uh...who thought this team would be better in the half court than last year? We had a stud PG and a senior who could score in a plethora of ways last year; unless people saw this explosion from Rak coming, there's no way anyone thought this team would be better in the halfcourt.

The freshman to sophomore jump is usually the most drastic. Don't write him off yet. He's not playing great right now but he's not getting a lot of help either.

That "freshman to sophomore jump" has not been too "dramatic" with the current crop of SU sophs.

His defense is horrible.
It's beyond horrible. I'd go so far as to say he's one of the worst defenders to step foot on the hill. Rak was putrid on d today too. And G looked like he was playing pickup at the park...he played so bad all around.

It's beyond horrible. I'd go so far as to say he's one of the worst defenders to step foot on the hill. Rak was putrid on d today too. And G looked like he was playing pickup at the park...he played so bad all around

The team may be hearing what we have about sanctions maybe more, I think that could affect their play, stranger things have happened. They just did not look themselves at all today, the first half was like a team going through the motions.

Why do people have the notion that any of these recruits will ever redshirt? No one in next year's class is going to redshirt. I wouldn't expect Howard or Tyler to play much. Look for Richardson and Bryant? to be the only two who play. G will again back up KJ because it's the only chance for Richardson to play. Cooney will not come out of the game once the ACC season starts. Are people watching? After 40 years JB is not going to change. Howard can handle, but he won't be a shooter, so what's the point. Tyler will have 4 players playing ahead of him. BJ is not ever going to play here. With Moyer coming in in two years, puts him even farther behind. For that matter, Buss will see little if any playing time next year. They are both great kids, but the writing is on the wall.

This is really interesting post. School who's name is not to be spoken won a national championship with a senior and junior point guard last year. Unless we are getting five 5-star recruits every year like UK we are going to need upper class men to win a national championship. Patterson is getting better. I think we will be able to contribute if he can just start making baskets. As for BJ, he needs another 20 or 30 pounds of muscle. The kid is thin as a rail. He just gets pushed around so much. So you may be right about him. But I think DC is the bigger question mark for next year. I'm just not sure his knees will allow him to play until proven otherwise. Howard will have to prove himself just like Patterson did for the last 2 years. Malachi may be the real deal in terms of true SG. But even so TC will get the bulk of the PT. It's all good. It gives us lots to talk and think about.

Joseph is the reason we didn't lose by 30 today. He's improving weekly and is going to be a darn good starting point guard at this time next year.

He and Christmas are the only two people on the team who haven't earned criticism today.

I thought Joseph played very well today overall on offense. We need G to do more of that when Cooney is being smothered. At least someone finally decided to.....Defense from both guards was pretty bad tbh though.

He showed some good decision making by pressing the action and getting some mid-range jumpers - but we still have nobody all that creative on offense. The best pass of the day may have been Buss hitting a cutting G.....Buss may really be the best instinctual passer on the team. He's careless with a lot of passes though - not suggesting he's the PG or anything, just more a commentary on how little our guards can create off the bounce.

I'm still not sure about Joseph long term as a PG, but that's about it. Not sure he'll rise up and be a great one, not sure he won't.

I think he's too old to contribute, likely out of eligibility, and frankly is more built for the 4 position.

FrankHoward.jpg

I thought Joseph played very well today overall on offense. We need G to do more of that when Cooney is being smothered. At least someone finally decided to...Defense from both guards was pretty bad tbh though.

He showed some good decision making by pressing the action and getting some mid-range jumpers - but we still have nobody all that creative on offense. The best pass of the day may have been Buss hitting a cutting G...Buss may really be the best instinctual passer on the team. He's careless with a lot of passes though - not suggesting he's the PG or anything, just more a commentary on how little our guards can create off the bounce.

I'm still not sure about Joseph long term as a PG, but that's about it. Not sure he'll rise up and be a great one, not sure he won't.
There was a play I think at the end of the first half where cooney just ran from a guy with the ball at the 3 point line. The guy was stunned, took a dribble and buried the three. Wasn't anyone within 10 feet. Four years in I'm struggling to understand how he does that.

LOL -- no way, not a chance, that Howard is going to take over Kaleb's spot next year. Kaleb will be fine.

There was a play I think at the end of the first half where cooney just ran from a guy with the ball at the 3 point line. The guy was stunned, took a dribble and buried the three. Wasn't anyone within 10 feet. Four years in I'm struggling to understand how he does that.

Yeah - I think that was what prompted JB to light up TC on the sideline the first time they came in with a close-up. It was bizarre - I suppose he thought Joseph was going to recover, but Joseph was going back to cover the area Cooney had left.

thanks captain positivity

ok sounds good!
when was the last time SU ever redshirted 2 incoming freshman? So JB recruits the best class he has ever had and 2 of the 4 will redshirt? Plus like someone else mentioned Lydon is a prep school kid so he won't be redshirted and our sophomore class has been horrible.

Last edited:
Uh...who thought this team would be better in the half court than last year? We had a stud PG and a senior who could score in a plethora of ways last year; unless people saw this explosion from Rak coming, there's no way anyone thought this team would be better in the halfcourt.
Many, including myself, thought the floor spacing would improve due to better jumpshooting...has not happened. Also, it wasn't a great halfcourt last year anyway with Ennis, so the bar wasn't exactly high.

when was the last time SU ever redshirted 2 incoming freshman? So JB recruits the best class he has ever had and 2 of the 4 will redshirt? Plus like someone else mentioned Lydon is a prep school kid so he won't be redshirted and our sophomore class has been horrible.

We have a one and done kid coming back... we have DC2 who will be finally healthy... we have enough depth. Roberson will step up...buss and chinoso will transfer. these are my predictions

LOL -- no way, not a chance, that Howard is going to take over Kaleb's spot next year. Kaleb will be fine.

Are you sure? I would be on the hunt for a JC PG right now..

We have a one and done kid coming back... we have DC2 who will be finally healthy... we have enough depth. Roberson will step up...buss and chinoso will transfer. these are my predictions
You lost me at "... we have DC2 who will be finally healthy..." Anyone counting on anything from Coleman is setting themselves up for disappointment. I really hope we get to see a healthy Coleman at some point but at this point anything we get from him is a bonus.

This is really interesting post. School who's name is not to be spoken won a national championship with a senior and junior point guard last year. Unless we are getting five 5-star recruits every year like UK we are going to need upper class men to win a national championship. Patterson is getting better. I think we will be able to contribute if he can just start making baskets. As for BJ, he needs another 20 or 30 pounds of muscle. The kid is thin as a rail. He just gets pushed around so much. So you may be right about him. But I think DC is the bigger question mark for next year. I'm just not sure his knees will allow him to play until proven otherwise. Howard will have to prove himself just like Patterson did for the last 2 years. Malachi may be the real deal in terms of true SG. But even so TC will get the bulk of the PT. It's all good. It gives us lots to talk and think about.
Stop with the BJ needs to gain weight or using his weight as an excuse/reason. Plenty of players his size have success in D1 basketball. 3 his approximate height and weight were drafted last year (Lavine 6'6" 181, Clarkson 6'5" 186, McRae 6'5" 179). And I can't remember the last time I saw BJ get "pushed around." All I see is him come in and miss open jump shots. And just to remind people MCW was 6'6" 185 and Devo was only 176 as a junior. Sure a few more pounds would help but to say he needs 20-30 lbs to play college basketball is well just ignorant. And why isn't KJo too light? He is supposedly 20 lbs lighter than BJ.

And somebody better tell Ohio St freshman Deangelo Russell that he is only 180 lbs because he's scoring 18.6ppg.