Something going on at UConn? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Something going on at UConn?

No chance any of this is true because of ESPN's exclusive negotiating 60-day window. If NBC even through back channels was stupid enough to give an actual number it would violate the Big East' contract with ESPN. While I believe NBC has had contact with Notre Dame and made its interest clear in the Big East TV rights it would be STUPID to give them a final number so that the Big East could go to ESPN with and get more and have NBC shutout of the process. I believe NBC will give the Big East its final number immediately after the 60-day window and give the Big East a take it and be promoted by our network deal or go and be 6th fiddle on ESPN.

I could see the NBC deal being $11 million for each Football school then $5 million divided up 20 ways for basketball. There is no way they are getting $16 million per year per FB school. No way.

yeah, I wasn't clear on much of this. I took that to mean that due to the Grant of Rights, that if signed, it would lock up all of the Big East schools for the long term. Oops, you beat me to it RMH.

That assumes that all of the exiting members actually sign a GOR. I wouldn't be taking that bet.

Guys - it's the wrong time of year for this bullsh!t

Notre Dame,Louisville,Uconn are never signing a GOR to stay in the Big East, if they even mention that Notre Dame will finish blowing up the conference. Isn't it amazing that the head of the footbal expansion committee, picked all these schools they would never think of playing, to be the expansion teams of the NBE? I still say this was part of Notre Dame's plan, so when they leave they have a built in excuse to give their Alumni. We can't let our great university be associated with such a conference.

Not sure which part I find more absurd: the notion that we would help UConn, or that NBC graciously decided to "give the Big East there (sic) top dollar." Negotiating 101 folks! Always lead off with the maximum amount you're willing to pay! No wonder everyone in West Virginia lives in trailer parks. With negotiating skills like that, I doubt any of them can afford to buy a house. In fact, the only part of those tweets I believe is that the poster is a WVU fan, based on on his delightfully incorrect use of there/their.

Maybe in basketball, but that's about it. The first time we played them in football was less than eight years ago. Also, they don't have a men's lax team for us to play, and we don't have a men's baseball or hockey team for them to play. That's putting a lot of eggs in the basket of a single sport (hoops), especially when much of our interest in that "rivalry" is based on disdain for a coach that will probably be gone in a year or two.

Yeah, it was definitely in relationship to basketball.

Well, we officially live in a world where reputable papers have to cut their printing to three days a week, and people who mix up 'there' and 'their' are trying to break news on the internet. Good game, everyone.

Also, I'd love to have UConn in the ACC, if it means they're 16 to Notre Dame's 15.

Well, we officially live in a world where reputable papers have to cut their printing to three days a week, and people who mix up 'there' and 'their' are trying to break news on the internet. Good game, everyone.

Also, I'd love to have UConn in the ACC, if it means they're 16 to Notre Dame's 15.

Are you referring to my usage of "there"? Because if you are, I used the correct spelling. Oh, and I wasn't breaking anything, just posting some stuff I found on a couple other boards, one of the items referencing SU.

yeah, I wasn't clear on much of this. I took that to mean that due to the Grant of Rights, that if signed, it would lock up all of the Big East schools for the long term. Oops, you beat me to it RMH.
What's a minute either way among SU fans...:)

Are you referring to my usage of "there"? Because if you are, I used the correct spelling. Oh, and I wasn't breaking anything, just posting some stuff I found on a couple other boards, one of the items referencing SU.

No, not talking about you at all, just the dude who made the post you copied here.

And I find these things amusing, definitely don't mind them being on here. It's just silly.

Notre Dame,Louisville,Uconn are never signing a GOR to stay in the Big East, if they even mention that Notre Dame will finish blowing up the conference. Isn't it amazing that the head of the footbal expansion committee, picked all these schools they would never think of playing, to be the expansion teams of the NBE? I still say this was part of Notre Dame's plan, so when they leave they have a built in excuse to give their Alumni. We can't let our great university be associated with such a conference.
I agree. These 3 will never sign a GOR if there is a glimmer of hope they could end up elsewhere. The only way UConn signs is if they have been told there is NO way the ACC will take them and the Big XII has told them not to hold their breath - L'ville is first in line. Regardless of the situation, I don't see any way ND would sign a GOR with any conference, unless they were desperate. And they're not. At least, not yet.

No, not talking about you at all, just the dude who made the post you copied here.

And I find these things amusing, definitely don't mind them being on here. It's just silly.

okay, cool. sorry, about that. I wouldn't have posted any of this if it wasn't for the SU mention.

okay, cool. sorry, about that. I wouldn't have posted any of this if it wasn't for the SU mention.
I don't know about anyone else, but given that we're in the ACC, I love reading all this . Especially the Rutgirls board - incredulous that they have not been invited to the B1G/ACC/Big XII/SEC yet.

The Boneyard is posting that there is a meeting being held between UConn and the new BE Commish.

And this from RU's board:

I know it's hard to believe anything from WVU, especially after The Dude has been such a dud, but thought this was interesting as it references UConn tied to SU.
If we have learned anything over the past 5 years, it is that WVU fans have no inside information and are habitual liars.

That being said, the BE is going to be faced with a real dilemma.

Surely ESPN will make a low ball type bid. I expect they will make it conditional where they get all BE 1st and 2nd tier content...they will not want to share with NBC. My guess is they offer around 12 million for all sports, 8 million for football only and 4 million for the basketball schools. No requirement for a GOR.

My guess is NBC offers something in the 16 million range for all sports schools, with 11 million for the football schools and 5 million for the basketball schools. They will require the BE schools sign a grant of rights that runs the length of the contract (unlike ESPN). I think the BE gets one football game and one basketball game a week on NBC with all other games on NBC Sports.

Since ESPN controls all bowl games, if the BE signs with NBC, they take a major hit, forced to set up their own bowl games in Tampa, Memphis and NYC. Might add one in San Diego, a Holiday Bowl light as well.

ESPN is in over 100 million homes. NBC Sports is in 79.3, so if they go with NBC, they take a major hit in market penetration as well as in prestige.

On the positive side, NBC Sports will feature BE football and hoops far more than ESPN would, working in games around hockey and tractor pulls whenever possible. I think there will be far fewer Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night games.

How much will it hurt to lose its Big Monday hoops slot? How much will it hurt to lose the featured status the BET has enjoyed on ESPN?

Will the GOR requirement drive Notre Dame to the ACC? Will that drive UConn or Rutgers to the ACC as well? Would ND sign the BE GOR to keep its independence? Would the ACC allow them to join as a partial member? Can ND stay with the BE if it signs with NBC and loses its established bowl bids that ND needs tie ins to in order to ensure access to non BCS bowl games?

I think going with the NBC option would take tremendous courage, team work, trust and optimism. They might need to get the offer to 20 million to get certain BE schools to seriously consider going the road less traveled. If history is any guide, this has little chance of working. UConn, UL, Rutgers and ND will want to keep the status quo, sign with ESPN, avoid the GOR and in the case of UConn, UL, Rutgers (and everyone else but ND) hope for an offer from another conference down the road.

It would be ironic but totally fitting if in an attempt to establish long term stability and financial viability, the BE leadership demands all member schools sign a GOR and it ends up prompting its two most valuable properties to defect to the hated ACC.

Let's also consider that BC flipped the **** out at the idea of UConn coming along, and that it was SU that suggested Pitt.

One moron posts something stupid and everyone runs with it.

Does this mean we can restart the "Oklahoma to the B1G" rumor?

Sorry, just saw thread on OU to B1G.

If we have learned anything over the past 5 years, it is that WVU fans have no inside information and are habitual liars.

That being said, the BE is going to be faced with a real dilemma.

Surely ESPN will make a low ball type bid. I expect they will make it conditional where they get all BE 1st and 2nd tier content...they will not want to share with NBC. My guess is they offer around 12 million for all sports, 8 million for football only and 4 million for the basketball schools. No requirement for a GOR.

My guess is NBC offers something in the 16 million range for all sports schools, with 11 million for the football schools and 5 million for the basketball schools. They will require the BE schools sign a grant of rights that runs the length of the contract (unlike ESPN). I think the BE gets one football game and one basketball game a week on NBC with all other games on NBC Sports.

Since ESPN controls all bowl games, if the BE signs with NBC, they take a major hit, forced to set up their own bowl games in Tampa, Memphis and NYC. Might add one in San Diego, a Holiday Bowl light as well.

ESPN is in over 100 million homes. NBC Sports is in 79.3, so if they go with NBC, they take a major hit in market penetration as well as in prestige.

On the positive side, NBC Sports will feature BE football and hoops far more than ESPN would, working in games around hockey and tractor pulls whenever possible. I think there will be far fewer Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night games.

How much will it hurt to lose its Big Monday hoops slot? How much will it hurt to lose the featured status the BET has enjoyed on ESPN?

Will the GOR requirement drive Notre Dame to the ACC? Will that drive UConn or Rutgers to the ACC as well? Would ND sign the BE GOR to keep its independence? Would the ACC allow them to join as a partial member? Can ND stay with the BE if it signs with NBC and loses its established bowl bids that ND needs tie ins to in order to ensure access to non BCS bowl games?

I think going with the NBC option would take tremendous courage, team work, trust and optimism. They might need to get the offer to 20 million to get certain BE schools to seriously consider going the road less traveled. If history is any guide, this has little chance of working. UConn, UL, Rutgers and ND will want to keep the status quo, sign with ESPN, avoid the GOR and in the case of UConn, UL, Rutgers (and everyone else but ND) hope for an offer from another conference down the road.

It would be ironic but totally fitting if in an attempt to establish long term stability and financial viability, the BE leadership demands all member schools sign a GOR and it ends up prompting its two most valuable properties to defect to the hated ACC.

Many things to think about. I still think ESPN manages to get at least some prime hoops games, if for no other treason than to maintain northeast viewership during hoops season. ESPN did secure some viewership with Syracuse and Pitt, but the northeast is so heavily populated and such a hoops base that I think ESPN wants more.

I agree UConn, Rutgers, Lousiville and ND have no intention on signing a GOR, it will take major $$$ motivation to make that happen, if at all.

The moonshine must be pretty strong this time of year.

FSU, Clemson and VT would go bonkers if the ACC adds UConn unless they add ND. I do wonder what the recruits have been saying regarding the lack of games up north. I understand that they love the whole east coast thing but the northeastern kids, what have they been telling the coaches? How much money is the GOR to leave? Will it be the same price for all teams and possibly less/more for football or ND?

Guys - it's the wrong time of year for this bullsh!t
Really?

I recall some activity in September and October of last year.

Really?

I recall some activity in September and October of last year.

Big difference, that activity had legs to it. This is from a well known source of b.s. information.

Big difference, that activity had legs to it. This is from a well known source of b.s. information.
OK, so it's the source and not the timing. :)