Sorry, but it is time... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, but it is time...

The Hop decision was a fork in the road for the program. We may have taken the wrong path...

We strung him along and treated him very poorly. I don't expect that he will want to come back.

They are not gonna fire JB they are gonna let him coach until his son graduates and that will be the end of it

Let's hope so. He's beginning to tarnish the brand.
I just wish he would stop blaming players in the press all the time.
Times (and players) have changed. That don't react well to that approach anymore.

The team with Andrew White and Tyler Lydon really underachieved, as well. We (including JB) thought that team had Final Four potential.

One thing I really don't like is Boeheim using the press to put down his players like he just did the other day ("Well, these are the same guys who lost 14 games last year.")

Seriously. He coached those losses. Did he forget that part? Celebrate the wins(*), blame others for the losses? Not really his MO but that is a strange statement.

I can’t imagine a scenario where our AD tosses the whole lot of them and we start with ‘foreigners.’ Realistically, the ad is going to be looking for a low-cost, up and comer, and one for the region who won’t see us as a stepping stone. Not an easy task.

Now, looking at Wildhack and knowing that he understands how much money the basketball program generates, he will probably try to get a young guy, yes, but I think a known head coach, not just some guy who had a good player who got hot in the NCAA and got his team an upset or two.

Now, looking at Wildhack and knowing that he understands how much money the basketball program generates, he will probably try to get a young guy, yes, but I think a known head coach, not just some guy who had a good player who got hot in the NCAA and got his team an upset or two.
This is who I want.
Jay Larrañaga - Wikipedia

Even when we play well for stretches we can’t build big leads because we play sooooo damnnnn slowwww.

We’ve taken more than 70 shots just once this year. Duke has only had a couple games where they’ve taken *fewer* than 70 shots.

We play on the razors edge because our pace is glacial, so every missed shot, missed FT, turnover or lost rebound is a catastrophe.

This is so true.
It's like Boeheim is playing checkers while everyone else is playing chess.

Now, on the one hand, there is a benefit to the zone, because it makes the other team adjust to you, and most of their plays (based on man defenses as the opponent) get thrown out the window, so advantage to SU for teams on a short turnaround who haven't seen the zone before.

So on defense, "keeping it simple" helps us strategically and gives us an identity.

But the "keep it simple" approach on offense fails when you don't have elite talent. And our offense is soooo simple. Anyone can defend us, if we don't have a guy who "goes off" in a game.

Whatever happened to taking advantage of mismatches, interior passing, flashing a guy to the foul line who can make a play? What about just trying to get out and run the fast break? If you have a team full of AAU kids who lack fundamentals, then why are you running a half court slow down offense, and not letting these guys get out and run and get easy buckets?

I have been watching SU since Greg Kohls (1971-72) and for years, I have been finding it harder and harder to enjoy watching our games. It's just brutal.

Interesting. The other criteria that would be ideal is a guy who did not play for a program that could call itself an ‘equal or better opportunity’ than SU, should the new guy succeed with us and then have his alumni calling for a return to his lama mater.

He’s never recruited in his life.
He has developed young players and he turned the down the Georgia Tech job 2 years ago.
Larranaga could be a good recruiter IMO.
I want somebody who is young and can coach. Jay is the type of hire I want. I don't want a guy who is coming from a hot NCAAT or GMac.
If the next HC is Autry that will be fine as well.

If nothing else, this thread has legs.

Can't have a slow team and play even a remotely inefficient offense. There won't be enough possessions to overcome bad shots/turnovers. Look at UVA, they play s l o w, but it works because they treat each offensive possession like gold and work tons of passes and motion to get the best shot possible, not a 19.5-ft step-back two pointer.

Boeheim tries to do this, in his own way. He wants us to limit turnovers, so that's why the PGs play so damn slow. It's been that way ever since Tyler Ennis and 25-0.

Ever since then, our game plan has been to try to stay at or under 10 turnovers per game, and to force 15-20. Turnovers make up for rebounds, to an extent, by giving you extra possessions.

In the old days (I'm talking 1980s - early 2000s), we used to run a lot more on offense, we liked to get our athletes in the open court, where they excelled, and we were OK with 15-20 turnovers in a game, because we were getting so many more shot opportunities and were crashing the offensive boards on the secondary break.

I think it is this over concern with TO's that has changed Boeheim's in-game strategy in a negative / defensive way. There is a certain risk-reward to running. Yes, there are going to be turnovers, but you are also going to get a lot of layups, and a lot of trips to the foul line - things we are decidedly NOT getting from this current offense.

This is so true.
It's like Boeheim is playing checkers while everyone else is playing chess.

Now, on the one hand, there is a benefit to the zone, because it makes the other team adjust to you, and most of their plays (based on man defenses as the opponent) get thrown out the window, so advantage to SU for teams on a short turnaround who haven't seen the zone before.

So on defense, "keeping it simple" helps us strategically and gives us an identity.

But the "keep it simple" approach on offense fails when you don't have elite talent. And our offense is soooo simple. Anyone can defend us, if we don't have a guy who "goes off" in a game.

Whatever happened to taking advantage of mismatches, interior passing, flashing a guy to the foul line who can make a play? What about just trying to get out and run the fast break? If you have a team full of AAU kids who lack fundamentals, then why are you running a half court slow down offense, and not letting these guys get out and run and get easy buckets?

I have been watching SU since Greg Kohls (1971-72) and for years, I have been finding it harder and harder to enjoy watching our games. It's just brutal.

I’m surprised you’re one of the people who thinks teaching/playing our zone is simpler than m2m.

He has developed young players and he turned the down the Georgia Tech job 2 years ago.
Larranaga could be a good recruiter IMO.
I want somebody who is young and can coach. Jay is the type of hire I want. I don't want a guy who is coming from a hot NCAAT or GMac.
If the next HC is Autry that will be fine as well.

Gmac has more recruiting expierience tha. Larrañaga. Honestly if Wildhack hired him I’d be pissed. Especially since his father has been caught cheating.

He’s never recruited in his life.

I think a top-notch recruiter has to be the #1 criterion. The adjustment period is going to be tough. Unless it's going to be someone who's already on the staff, we won't be playing Boeheim-style ball and likely won't be managing the program in the same way. The current players will have to adjust to new schemes, a new way of doing things altogether. That may take a while, if they even decide to stick it out. Top recruits will take some of the heat off the head guy while the program is in flux. If we continue to be mediocre or worse in Boeheim's last years, then a top recruiter will be necessary to avoid a longish downturn. And if the new coach can't cut it, at least he will leave the cupboard full.

If nothing else, this thread has legs.
Thanks for the post. Have an opinion once in a while. It is okay to tell somebody why you believe they are wrong. It causes discourse.
dis·course

noun
noun: discourse; plural noun: discourses
/ˈdisˌkôrs/
  1. 1.
    written or spoken communication or debate

Gmac has more recruiting expierience tha. Larrañaga. Honestly if Wildhack hired him I’d be pissed. Especially since his father has been caught cheating.
How was father caught cheating. The NCAA trial showed Miami was actually innocent on that. The FBI admitted they were investigated only because they were an Adidas school. Nothing close to Kansas or those other schools.

While GMac has done an above average job I am not going to say he is a great recruiter either, I want nothing to do with GMac once JB is gone unless the next HC want him. As the next HC gets their own staff.

Thanks for the post. Have an opinion once in a while. It is okay to tell somebody why you believe they are wrong. It causes discourse.
dis·course

noun
noun: discourse; plural noun: discourses
/ˈdisˌkôrs/
  1. 1.
    written or spoken communication or debate
You are a piece of work. How's that for an opinion?

How was father caught cheating. The NCAA trial showed Miami was actually innocent on that. The FBI admitted they were investigated only because they were an Adidas school. Nothing close to Kansas or those other schools.

While GMac has done an above average job I am not going to say he is a great recruiter either, I want nothing to do with GMac once JB is gone unless the next HC want him. As the next HC gets their own staff.

I'm not saying I want GMac, but being an NBA assistant doesn't make you qualified to be College Head basketball coach. The best job he ever had in college was as an assistant at Cornell.

I'm not saying I want GMac, but being an NBA assistant doesn't make you qualified to be College Head basketball coach. The best job he ever had in college was as an assistant at Cornell.
He could have gotten the George Mason or Georgia Tech jobs. I am just thinking outside of the box.
I mean another guy I like is Providence's Ed Cooley. Doubt he would leave but he has gotten the Friars to the NCAAT 6 years in a row. For that program that is insane. He can coach and recruit.

He could have gotten the George Mason or Georgia Tech jobs. I am just thinking outside of the box.
I mean another guy I like is Providence's Ed Cooley. Doubt he would leave but he has gotten the Friars to the NCAAT 6 years in a row. For that program that is insane. He can coach and recruit.

I'd take Cooley in a heartbeat. Those are the type of candidates we should be looking at.

man to man is staying tight in your mark's chest or belt buckle and maintaining position between him and the basket. shot goes up box out. not rocket science. and knowing when/how to best help and slide is also very teachable . practically every kid playing ball already knows M2M. when exactly is last time you saw a playground blacktop zone ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom