Southerland Redshirt | Syracusefan.com

Southerland Redshirt

C

CoastalO

I'm still a little miffed that JB didn't redshirt Southerland. He could have been back for another year. I remember a lot of complaints his freshman year b/c JB didn't even play him but for a few minutes against the Nobody States of the world that year.

I feel like he's a player leaving SU who didn't develop all the way. I wish the man well. It was fun to watch when he was making shots.

I think JB's coaching has been incredible. It seems like he made a mistake there.

ABC - Always Be Closing...

He turns 23 in two weeks, that's kinda old for college ball.

James is what he is, a streak shooter.

Yea IIRC he had a "prep" year before coming. That's why he wasn't redshirted.

He was old but probably should have been redshirted.

Joseph staying 4 years is what hurt his development the most.

He was old but probably should have been redshirted.

Joseph staying 4 years is what hurt his development the most.
I'm not sure how much more he could develop to be honest with you. It's hard to teach handle and passing. It's possible he could have developed a little post game, but he was here 4 years and didn't do it, so I don't think a 5th year would have made a difference. I'm excited for Grant.

i think we got as much from james as we could have ever expected. I am psyched for aa cj and beast mode jerami next year. Jerami has a nasty streak about him on the court

when you start red shirting prep school players thats when you miss out on recruits who wont come to SU because James is still here.

one of jbs problems is grant is better right now but not to jb.

grant was good last night and while james was out- but james over the longer term was better on the back line and was a much better option offensively as we made our run..hard to argue with a coach who just added another final four..

I'm still a little miffed that JB didn't redshirt Southerland. He could have been back for another year. I remember a lot of complaints his freshman year b/c JB didn't even play him but for a few minutes against the Nobody States of the world that year.

I feel like he's a player leaving SU who didn't develop all the way. I wish the man well. It was fun to watch when he was making shots.

I think JB's coaching has been incredible. It seems like he made a mistake there.

Kind of a weird time for this thought, after a disastrous game by JS.

I think another year of JS would send our beautiful future of forwards slightly off kilter. Next year we will have CJ, Grant, and probably Roberson. That's a lot of talent. The year after should be Grant, Roberson, and McCollough. Once again a boatload of talent.

I do think that next year the 3 pt shot is a problem. But another year of JS would be stunting the development of some serious talent.

Who was the idiot who compared JS to Len Bias?

I think another year of JS would send our beautiful future of forwards slightly off kilter. Next year we will have CJ, Grant, and probably Roberson. That's a lot of talent. The year after should be Grant, Roberson, and McCollough. Once again a boatload of talent.

I do think that next year the 3 pt shot is a problem. But another year of JS would be stunting the development of some serious talent.
Just a thought I've had this yr. He had a tendency to disappear this year. I just thought one more year and the guy could've put it together and played more complete. But your right, more upside is coming in. Still, gonna miss him.

Just a thought I've had this yr. He had a tendency to disappear this year. I just thought one more year and the guy could've put it together and played more complete. But your right, more upside is coming in. Still, gonna miss him.

The suspension hurt him. I agree with your earlier thought - James is leaving here as someone who didn't develop fully. Don't know if developing a post-up game and a better handle ever would have happened, but it would have helped to play more than 2.75 years.

Sorry he had to go out on that note, but at least he made a couple buckets to make it interesting at the end.

The suspension hurt him. I agree with your earlier thought - James is leaving here as someone who didn't develop fully. Don't know if developing a post-up game and a better handle ever would have happened, but it would have helped to play more than 2.75 years.

Sorry he had to go out on that note, but at least he made a couple buckets to make it interesting at the end.

This is spot on, he never fully developed and theres no way to know if another year would have done that. Theres no way for JB to know when JS was a freshmen what kidn of player he would turn out to be, we have to have scholarships open, in hindsight should he have redshirted? Probably but the kid still had a pretty good career and as Bayside noted is about to be 23, I think hes ready to move on.

Red shirting in basketball, apart from medical complications, rarely is good for the program or the team, IMO.

I could honestly see Grant leaving after next year. I think he explodes.

Always thought Dirty should have posted more inside or take a dribble and go to the rim. With his long stride and wingspan he could have many sick dunks like he had for his basket last night. Just loved the 3-ball, I guess. Not saying he had he handle to be a slasher (lord, no), but with that reach and hops he could have thrown down some Hak-esque tea bags.

Red shirting in basketball, apart from medical complications, rarely is good for the program or the team, IMO.
I disagree. If the right kids are redshirted, and at the right time, it should not be harmful to the team or the kid. Cooney shirting last year was the right move for the program and the kid (whether or not he develops, I don't know).

As for James, I think he should have been redshirted his freshman year, but what can you do now? He had no chance of playing much and wasn't ready to contribute at all. He had already prepped so that's likely why he didn't, but he could have used an extra year to improve his strength and game. I would LOVE to have him on next year's team, and feel he would really kill it in the ACC. I know we'd be down a recruit, but sometimes having an experienced player with some skills is better than a higher rated recruit that has yet to step foot on campus.

I really enjoyed watching him play and grow as a player. Like Triche, he's a good kid that worked hard and became a quality player for the team. It does feel like there was more for him to accomplish, but he did a lot for this program. I'll miss his personality and shooting ability, as will the program.

We already have a log jam next year and James was highly overrated during the entirety of his career. He was a fine role player during his career but Grant is going to do so much more with those minutes. It really hurt us to have such a one dimensional player taking up a lot of minutes. Grant is better than James in just about every asset of the game.

Imagine if Sherman Douglas had redshirted his frosh year when he only played 5 minutes a game behind Pearl. We would have had our best team ever his 5th year. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

You guys talk about redshirting as though it was solely JB's decision. I suspect that JB has never told an incoming player you have to redshirt. Very possible, in fact likely, that James had not desire to redshirt.

Other factors were that it may not have been altogether clear to JB how the PT would shake out that season. Andy and Wes both stepped up and provided very very good 3 PT threats for us that season. I don't know whether JB knew he'd get as much from long range out of both of them as he did. Also KJo stepped up to be a really solid 6th/7th man and backup forward for that team. After KJo it was really Mookie or James in that role. So if he didn't have the season he ended up having we may have seen a lot more of James.

Finally, I like James, he seems like a great kid and he was a nice player for us, but he was an incomplete player. If he had another year he might end up having been a little bit better in a 5th year, but I am ok with having him move on and seeing what Jerami can do with the minutes or one of the incoming frosh.

grant was good last night and while james was out- but james over the longer term was better on the back line and was a much better option offensively as we made our run..hard to argue with a coach who just added another final four..
JB needed the possibility that James would start to hit his shots. Otherwise, Jerami was the better choice last night. JB has even said that Jerami is the best freshman defensive player he has ever coached.

He turns 23 in two weeks, that's kinda old for college ball.

James is what he is, a streak shooter.
I agree, but Gorgui Dieng turned 23 in january.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom