JB on Schein | Syracusefan.com

JB on Schein

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
JB was on Adam Scheins radio show last hour. JB is going to be in the radio tonight doing the first 4 games.

He and Adam spent the whole time talking about the NCAA tournament. As he has said before, he think the tournament needs to be expanded. His suggestions is 8 teams and add games to the first 4.

He feels the 3 teams who should have been in the tournament this year were Pitt, SJU, and SHU. Also mentioned Indiana St, Providence and Wake Forest.

He feels, like most, that UConn has the best team but isn’t quite as good as last year. Named a few others with a good chance who I can’t remember other than UNC. His surprise team was Marquette if they’re healthy.

Like many, JB thinks the NET is garbage and has to be completely redone. He made one good point when he said the committee looks at the whole season now and needs to go back to giving some value to later in the season. Said you want the best teams in march playing in the tournament, not the best team in December. Feels strongly that with the portal and most teams having at least a few new players that some teams will get out of the gate slower while integrating new players besides freshmen. Good point.

He feels the 3 teams who should have been in the tournament this year were Pitt, SJU, and SHU. Also mentioned Indiana St, Providence and Wake Forest.
He must’ve forgotten us.

JB was on Adam Scheins radio show last hour. JB is going to be in the radio tonight doing the first 4 games.

He and Adam spent the whole time talking about the NCAA tournament. As he has said before, he think the tournament needs to be expanded. His suggestions is 8 teams and add games to the first 4.

He feels, like most, that UConn has the best team but isn’t quite as good as last year. Named a few others with a good chance who I can’t remember other than UNC. His surprise team was Marquette if they’re healthy.

Like many, JB thinks the NET is garbage and has to be completely redone. He made one good point when he said the committee looks at the whole season now and needs to go back to giving some value to later in the season. Said you want the best teams in march playing in the tournament, not the best team in December. Feels strongly that with the portal and most teams having at least a few new players that some teams will get out of the gate slower while integrating new players besides freshmen. Good point.
10000% agree. Now with the portal, there's no continuity at all early season.

I agree with JB 100 percent on all of this. The tournament needs to be expanded.

I agree with JB 100 percent on all of this. The tournament needs to be expanded.

Make the whole first round a play in. 32 protected seeds get a buy. The next next 64 play each other and the winners move on. That would give the NCAA two rounds of 32 games which is great! If you are the 97th team and you don't make it then do better, hard to complain at that point because you aren't that good.

Especially when you’re dealing with this roster turnover year after year.

This is turning into a college aau, make the tournament bigger, get everyone in at this point.
The sane solution to temper the roster turnover, and the NCAA is opposed to it right now, is to make the players employees and collectively bargain with them with revenue sharing, and then the member schools can institute guardrails with contracts that limit the amount of transfers and other rules. The downside of that is that it could destroy most of the other Olympic sports programs. Football and basketball are used to fund all the other Olympic sports. So Congress might need to craft legislation to protect that.

Last edited:
There is just a lot more parity in College Basketball. It should be a pretty big deal as a power program to miss the tournament. If this thing ever gets to 128 this is what I imagine it looks like. Get FOX sports involved in the first weekend. 8 regional sites:
Northeast
Mid-Atlantic
Southeast
Midwest
Southwest
Northwest
The Great Plains
The Great Basin

First weekend (Top 32 seeds host the subregional):
Thursday (1st round)
Friday (1st round)
Saturday (2nd round)
Sunday (2nd round)

Second Weekend (Regional Weekend)
Thursday (3rd round)
Friday (3rd round)
Saturday (Sweet 16)
Sunday (Sweet 16)

Third Weekend (Championship week)
Wednesday (Elite 8) (At final four site, Saturday sweet 16 winners play)
Thursday (Elite 8) (At final four site, Sunday sweet 16 winners play)
Saturday (Final Four)
Monday (National Championship)

There is just a lot more parity in College Basketball. It should be a pretty big deal as a power program to miss the tournament. If this thing ever gets to 128 this is what I imagine it looks like. Get FOX sports involved in the first weekend. 8 regional sites:
Northeast
Mid-Atlantic
Southeast
Midwest
Southwest
Northwest
The Great Plains
The Great Basin

First weekend (Top 32 seeds host the subregional):
Thursday (1st round)
Friday (1st round)
Saturday (2nd round)
Sunday (2nd round)

Second Weekend (Regional Weekend)
Thursday (3rd round)
Friday (3rd round)
Saturday (Sweet 16)
Sunday (Sweet 16)

Third Weekend (Championship week)
Wednesday (Elite 8) (At final four site, Saturday sweet 16 winners play)
Thursday (Elite 8) (At final four site, Sunday sweet 16 winners play)
Saturday (Final Four)
Monday (National Championship)
Major complication I didn’t consider was the first weekend host sites interfering with the women’s tournament. If a school is good enough to host in both tournaments. Alternative sites in the same location could work or hopefully something can be worked out in terms of tv times. I just think that any expansion, the top teams will want something either in the form of hosting or byes.

Make the whole first round a play in. 32 protected seeds get a buy. The next next 64 play each other and the winners move on. That would give the NCAA two rounds of 32 games which is great! If you are the 97th team and you don't make it then do better, hard to complain at that point because you aren't that good.
Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

Let’s go from March Madness to March Insanity. Bigger is not better in my mind.

The only change I’d favor is that the conference winners get a direct path to the Rd of 64. No more play-ins for the 16 seeds. Make the 4 games in Dayton all at-large teams.

The whole point of making the tournament was that it was supposed to feel like an achievement. Keep expanding and the regular season becomes more and more meaningless. Yes, there will always be a few teams that feel like they got screwed over. That will happen no matter where the cutoff is.

How about we just get our program's shlit together so we don't have to worry about this.

The whole point of making the tournament was that it was supposed to feel like an achievement. Keep expanding and the regular season becomes more and more meaningless. Yes, there will always be a few teams that feel like they got screwed over. That will happen no matter where the cutoff is.

How about we just get our program's shlit together so we don't have to worry about this.
I disagree. What’s the percentage of teams that make the NFL or NBA playoffs? Even with 80 teams making the tourney, that’s less than a quarter of D1.

Last edited:

Why don't we cut back to just 32 teams then.

AQ's only.

Then the regular season would be totally meaningless. Win 4-5 games in March and you're in. Nothing else would matter.

It would seem to me that by expanding to 72 or so, more teams have the opportunity during the regular season to make their claim.

I disagree. Whats the percentage of teams that make the NFL or NBA playoffs? Even with 80 teams making the tourney, that’s less than a quarter of D1.
But how many of the lowest-seeded NFL/NBA playoff teams advance past the first round? I don't think you're helping your case.

I disagree. Whats the percentage of teams that make the NFL or NBA playoffs? Even with 80 teams making the tourney, that’s less than a quarter of D1.

Yeah this last expanded 40 of whatever years ago. Simple math tells us there are exponentially more good players and teams.

Too many power conference teams sitting above 500 in-conference that don't get a sniff of this, meanwhile margins of victory somehow matter. It's stupid.

Do hockey and baseball.
I won't pretend to know hockey, but playoff baseball is an essentially different sport from regular season baseball with the ability to cull your worst starting pitchers and pull guys early. It's not really a useful analog.

I won't pretend to know hockey, but playoff baseball is an essentially different sport from regular season baseball with the ability to cull your worst starting pitchers and pull guys early. It's not really a useful analog.

Good point on baseball.

When this expanded back in the 80s and we were in the Big East there were basically four schools mayb five and that was really it. ACC I assume was similar.

There's just so many more competitive programs, and none really are dynasties with the player movements.

You’re comparing the worst nfl team to the worst div 1 college. Woof.

I'm in. Like swimwear.

The NCAA is currently discussing expanding the tournament to 76 teams, but the major conference commissioners are pushing for an expansion format that favors the power conference teams. If the tournament adds eight more teams, I wouldn't expect they will expand the current First Four format of play-in games. NCAA expansion to 76 would mean 24 teams would have to play first round games to get to a 64 team bracket. The power leagues are likely to push for a format that provides byes for teams seeded 1-13 and the majority of those 12 and 13 seeds would go to teams in the major conferences.

Let’s go from March Madness to March Insanity. Bigger is not better in my mind.

The only change I’d favor is that the conference winners get a direct path to the Rd of 64. No more play-ins for the 16 seeds. Make the 4 games in Dayton all at-large teams.
I agree. In fact the play in is stupid. For one why do we need 4 more teams. And two, it's BS to have a 16 seed have to play on Tuesday against a peer school and not have their day against the big boys during the opening round. Its just not the same to play on Tuesday. All bc 64 is not enough deserving teams?!?! If they are going to do it or expand it it should be only bubble teams

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom