Sports Ministry | Syracusefan.com

Sports Ministry

JDubbin

The ONLY Syracuse Sneakers Avatar Guy
I've shared a number of times over the years that both my wife & I are staff members with Athletes in Action, a Christian sports ministry organization that works with athletes & coaches in integrating Faith, Life & Sports together. AIA is both a national & global org, my primary role is as a staff team leader that works with college athletes in the Dayton, OH area - primarily at University of Dayton, Wright State University & Central State University (a local HBCU).

I've been thinking about this for a while, but I wanted to create a space where prayer requests for Syracuse athletes could be shared as various stories, hardships, life hurdles, trauma, etc. come to light. I would go as far to say if board members also would like prayer that it could be shared here or via personal message as well, I'd love to check in regularly & maybe myself (and a few otheres?!) could be praying for you. Honestly, even if you have faith questions , or even just want to vent personal hurts, doubts, frustrations, pain, etc. with the church I'm open to that - let's just try to keep that to personal messages. Feel free to message me!

Look, I know this thread is not for everyone, I get it. However, I would just request you either just ignore the thread or keep it moving & leave the the thread space for prayer requests. I don't want to turn it into a religious debate forum, there is proper arenas for that... but this ain't the one. Thank you. I know this thread may flop or just dissolve into oblivion over time, but I felt convicted to try & I want to honor that.

A quick story... Again, I'm a Syracuse product through & through, grew up on Greenwood Pl. about 1 minute from the corner of Westcott & Euclid. 2005 SU grad. During my time at SU the Campus Crusade for Christ (now Cru) ministry really impacted my trajectory in relationship with Jesus, it's the reason I joined staff with AIA right out of school. After I moved to Ohio, about 10-11 years ago I was presented with the request/opportunity to move back to Syracuse & start an Athletes in Action ministry presence on campus. Obviously, the Syracuse athletic department is/would be my #1 choice of any in the country that I could work with the athletes at. My wife & I took a vision trip to explore that possibility. We walked the campus, visited a few of the athletic facilities/locations, etc. I was sure that it was going to be the move for us... even just based on the fact I never imagined living in the Midwest in a million years growing up! Believe me, it would never pass a pros/cons list EVER. However, after lots of prayer & thought I really felt in my gut that God was telling me to stay in Ohio... on paper it doesn't make sense at all, but I haven't doubted the decision since (the AIA ministry here is really thriving too). However, I'll always care/have a heart for Syracuse athletics (and do wish sometimes God had landed me differently;)). As discussed in other threads, FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) has a presence at Syracuse, so I'm thankful they're there & it seems like it's going well. But, I still want to have a space to care for both the athletes (and board members) when it comes to the spiritual, I'm hoping this thread can be that.

P.S. I'm serious when I say you can message me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom