Spring roster is up | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Spring roster is up

It was obvious early in the season that Shredder had not recovered from his surgery.

I don't remember when he had the procedure, but I think he was out for spring ball. If they knew the severity of the injury and they also knew what they had (or didn't have) in CDRW--and they still couldn't keep Lamson--in hindsight, that points to something pretty seriously wrong with Dino and co.
The elbow injury and surgery wasn’t supposed to be a big deal as far as recovery goes. Shrader’s bigger problem was the shoulder injury during the season.

I mostly agree with that but at a minimum it has to be 3, with 4 being ideal. The last 8 seasons we have used 2.5 QBs on average. We shouldn't be forced to do what we did last year, TE and Wildcat. Also you need guys to run practice with. If QB1 goes down do you want QB2 to be your starter and have to run scout?

Last year didn't matter because Dino was let go, but if that were to happen this year the story would be a lot different. Sure in terms of Ws and Ls it won't. But in terms of development and learning the O, it would hurt going forward. Once QB1 goes down the rest of the season is a practice for the next season. So we want to actually be running our base O, even if it doesn't do a thing with Ws.

Like you said, a quality QB isn't going to stay long term and wait it out. But we can still get kids like Lamson or Morgan as bodies for 1-2 years as a break in case of emergency QB with no plan to have them ever be QB1. And who knows maybe you get lucky and find a diamond.

So IMO we need one of CDRW or Davis to stay. That will give us 4 QBs with Williams and the preferred walk on coming in. If both leave we should be looking to bring in another body.
If we're counting on CDRW or Davis this year, we're doomed. We won't be able to run a "base offense" with those guys under center.

If we're counting on CDRW or Davis this year, we're doomed. We won't be able to run a "base offense" with those guys under center.
I was amazed at how poorly CDRW performed. It was as if you could’ve put a high school quarterback in there, and said, “just try to make something happen.“ And you would’ve had a better result. I don’t know enough about football as to why he performed poorly (I think he threw three or four interceptions against BC) But it was like watching Pop Warner football in his ineptitude. Was it the system or his performance level – I don’t know. But how could we be that ill prepared?

Yes, we are doomed for this year in terms of Ws and Ls. But you can still run your O during practice and non QB kids can get better and more knowledgeable for 2025. And CDRW can run our O. He might not be good at it but it will still be our O. Davis I am not so sure about. If he can't play QB, then he should move to WR or be shown the door.

I think going forward we should have a QB1, a QB2, a true frosh, and a preferred walk on. That isn't deep in terms of quality but is depth in terms of able bodies. I don't think having just McCord, Williams, and Miller is enough for an entire season.

I was amazed at how poorly CDRW performed. It was as if you could’ve put a high school quarterback in there, and said, “just try to make something happen.“ And you would’ve had a better result. I don’t know enough about football as to why he performed poorly (I think he threw three or four interceptions against BC) But it was like watching Pop Warner football in his ineptitude. Was it the system or his performance level – I don’t know. But how could we be that ill prepared?
Fran kept CDRW, so he must have some redeeming value. I don't care how good you are, if you haven't been prepared for a game (and your O-line can't give you time), you're doomed.
Also, interesting how FB praised Davis after the first practice.

Fran kept CDRW, so he must have some redeeming value. I don't care how good you are, if you haven't been prepared for a game (and your O-line can't give you time), you're doomed.
CDRW has a lot of physical traits - he's just never mentally put it together. Perhaps they think they can maximize his potential. Or perhaps he's happy to be a backup and get his degree, too.

I also know CDRW just recently had a baby and perhaps FB wants to give him another shot because of that (FB had his oldest in college too). I dont know whether that's true -- just guessing. He may be happy to be the backup.

CDRW has a lot of physical traits - he's just never mentally put it together. Perhaps they think they can maximize his potential. Or perhaps he's happy to be a backup and get his degree, too.

I also know CDRW just recently had a baby and perhaps FB wants to give him another shot because of that (FB had his oldest in college too). I dont know whether that's true -- just guessing. He may be happy to be the backup.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Good athlete- if QB is not in his future could he be considered for a position change?

Would be good for him to stick here and graduate and find a job to support his new and growing family.

Kept him as of now. My guess is Fran wants to evaluate both guys, and we also don't have enough bodies at the position. Let's see if he's still around after spring ball. Same with Davis.

Any chance someone like Angeli from ND enters the portal after the spring and will sit a year behind McCord knowing the job is there in 2025?
Jersey kid.
Seems like a strategy that would maybe follow a mindset of keeping a lighter QB room. Certainly some risk with that but maybe Fran right now is thinking it could take a few years to develop young guys at QB, so will work to maintain a lane each year for a high end portal QB? I mean no one thought we would end up with McCord, so I am kinda expecting he will be “big game hunting “ in the portal every year for a QB at least initially.

Any chance someone like Angeli from ND enters the portal after the spring and will sit a year behind McCord knowing the job is there in 2025?
Jersey kid.

Let’s not forget that we have stud freshman coming in this summer in Jakhari

If he plays the way I think he will, he will 100% without a doubt be our starter for 2025

Jersey kid.
I don’t think Angeli would portal to sit for a year.

Agreed, it's a pipe dream. He'd get a starting job offered somewhere if he left.
I think a redshirt frosh portal QB would be more likely. Maybe from a school with an established starter and a 5-star QB recruit.

Some of the SEC and Big Ten schools have crowded QB rooms and they keep on stacking them every year. Some are bound to bet on themselves and become available.
We have 2 SEC QBs on the roster that most want to run out of town.

We have 2 SEC QBs on the roster that most want to run out of town.

We don't have any SEC QB's on the roster. We have two QB's who left SEC programs because they were buried on the depth charts. Everyone on our roster is an ACC player. I don't care where a player came from. I care about how a player performs once he is here wearing orange.

Coaches need to be careful these days. If you over-recruit a position someone will hit the portal. If you under-recruit a position you could find yourself shorthanded in the fall. Coach Fran did say he wants to keep the QB room light, but I'm sure he also wants a light QB room with quality players who can perform when call on.

That said, I believe Coach Fran won't hesitate to hit the portal and look for another QB if he's not happy with what he sees from our QB's this spring*. That can be said for any position. Coach Fran trying to build, and he only has the ability to remove players from the roster for a year from the time he got here.

* CDRW was wearing a boot a few weeks ago. It appears he had some work done in the offseason. Although he reportedly threw to guys on pro day, I don't know how much we will see from him this spring. Hopefully he's good to go, but I don't recall seeing him on any of the videos posted.

We don't have any SEC QB's on the roster. We have two QB's who left SEC programs because they were buried on the depth charts. Everyone on our roster is an ACC player. I don't care where a player came from. I care about how a player performs once he is here wearing orange.

Coaches need to be careful these days. If you over-recruit a position someone will hit the portal. If you under-recruit a position you could find yourself shorthanded in the fall. Coach Fran did say he wants to keep the QB room light, but I'm sure he also wants a light QB room with quality players who can perform when call on.

That said, I believe Coach Fran won't hesitate to hit the portal and look for another QB if he's not happy with what he sees from our QB's this spring*. That can be said for any position. Coach Fran trying to build, and he only has the ability to remove players from the roster for a year from the time he got here.

* CDRW was wearing a boot a few weeks ago. It appears he had some work done in the offseason. Although he reportedly threw to guys on pro day, I don't know how much we will see from him this spring. Hopefully he's good to go, but I don't recall seeing him on any of the videos posted.
I'm pretty sure he is seen throwing in at least one of the videos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom