St. John's fires Mike Anderson / hires Rick Pitino | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

St. John's fires Mike Anderson / hires Rick Pitino

How many NYC players do we ever have on the team at one time 2? Maybe 3?

I guess we don't need them getting good with Uconn looking the way they do but we go into DMV and Philly just as much as well as upstate, Canada, and New England or midwest.

Fanbase and buzz in NYC with casuals we lost a few years ago and won't come back easily if the Jonnies are good and we are in the ACC I agree there.

I’m not concerned, it’s been a while since St. John’s has been a player. I’m 29, grew up and still live in Northern NJ and have never seen them have any buzz.

This speaks to a bigger work ethic discussion but we’ve had Jimmy’s age used against us in recruiting for years. An early 70s Pitino doesn’t scare me.
Yeah this and happy to eat a crow burger if he ends up crushing it for 5 star recruits. I am just not seeing it happen for him as some are. Do I think he could get the Johnnie's playing some good ball? Sure thing. Do I see him in his early 70s raising Final 4 banners and loading up on 5 stars? Nope just not seeing that. There will be some initial energy for sure but there's reasons why most coaches retire before they are 70ish. Good luck to him though. He is part of the Syracuse family portrait! He is going to eat like a king down there, no doubt about that.

I think it’s going to be a real problem for us. Rick isn’t JB. He’s not going to have the same drop off JB had in his later years. I don’t know why so many people dismiss him and the impact he can have on a program. He wins everywhere he goes.
Father Time is undefeated. He’s not going to coach there forever. Is there one coach who was good after, say, 75? JB was still doing great when he was 70.

Good luck to Rick. I wouldn’t want to start a new job at 70 for 6 years. But, like him or not, gotta admire someone with his passion for basketball and teaching wanting to get back in the mix at that point in your life.

Father Time is undefeated. He’s not going to coach there forever. Is there one coach who was good after, say, 75? JB was still doing great when he was 70.
The consternation over him is funny. What's he gonna hungry hungry hippo, all the NY prospects?? We have a solid footing in NY, etc. I'm sure Red, Griff and Gmac are sitting in their living rooms scared as hell. LOL

The consternation over him is funny. What's he gonna hungry hungry hippo, all the NY prospects?? We have a solid footing in NY, etc. I'm sure Red, Griff and Gmac are sitting in their living rooms scared as hell. LOL
Agreed. And while they’ve got NYC and MSG going for them - I think SU has a lot more advantages than them overall. We’ve been better than them probably 90-95% of the time the last 30 years - I think there’s reasons for that, that go beyond coaching.

Where is St. John’s getting the $$$ to pay good money to Pitino for six years and to buy-out Anderson? I know they are trying to get out of the Anderson buy-out by claiming cause. I don’t see a way St John’s wins without hurting itself.

The booster who has been trying to get St. John's to go after Pitino is a billionaire and shares an interest in race horses with Pitino.

Where is St. John’s getting the $$$ to pay good money to Pitino for six years and to buy-out Anderson? I know they are trying to get out of the Anderson buy-out by claiming cause. I don’t see a way St John’s wins without hurting itself.

That’s bigger news than some think. Some feel SJ is trying to get out of paying Anderson so as to use some of that to pay Pitino. If Anderson sues it could get ugly.

That’s bigger news than some think. Some feel SJ is trying to get out of paying Anderson so as to use some of that to pay Pitino. If Anderson sues it could get ugly.
If I was Pitino (I’m not ) or his agent, I would have asked the same question and made a smooth transition including paying Anderson‘s buyout per his contract, a requirement. Not a good look for St John’s nor even Pitino for turning a blind eye. If I was a coach, these colleges going to all the lengths they are doing to break contracts, would certainly make me nervous. This could take years to resolve.

And most likely will be paying Anderson the full amount owed.
I figure they will try to negotiate some type of compromise by dragging this out, making Anderson pay for enormous legal fees bringing this action. There should be some type of contract protection preventing a new contract to be finalized before a prior one has been resolved.

What is the "cause" theyre trying to claim?

I hope these guys wring every cent theyre owed from the Universities and then some...
Cause he sucks?

Cause he sucks?
Nbc Noice GIF by Law & Order

Cause he sucks?
Lots of posters on this board were advocating for him to take over for JB. Funny how the tide can turn so quickly. :rolleyes:

Lots of posters on this board were advocating for him to take over for JB. Funny how the tide can turn so quickly. :rolleyes:
To be fair, "posters" aren't some unanimous homogeneous block.

To be fair, part II, a non-zero portion of those posters were being tongue in cheek.

I figure they will try to negotiate some type of compromise by dragging this out, making Anderson pay for enormous legal fees bringing this action. There should be some type of contract protection preventing a new contract to be finalized before a prior one has been resolved.

This is probably the type of action where the losing party is statutorily required to pay the opposing party's legal fees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom