St. Marys? | Syracusefan.com

St. Marys?

sugrad68

Starter
Why is this team ranked so highly in the RPI? 0-1 vs. the top 50. Strength of Schedule is 188. I watched the Gonzaga-BYU and Gonzaga-St. Mary's games and there is close to no defense played in that league. It's no wonder with all the fine players that have played at Gonzaga and all the great records that the team has compiled over the years that they've never made a Final 4. When push comes to shove, they get pushed and shoved out.

Why is this team ranked so highly in the RPI? 0-1 vs. the top 50. Strength of Schedule is 188. I watched the Gonzaga-BYU and Gonzaga-St. Mary's games and there is close to no defense played in that league. It's no wonder with all the fine players that have played at Gonzaga and all the great records that the team has compiled over the years that they've never made a Final 4. When push comes to shove, they get pushed and shoved out.

I can't explain the RPI. I have no idea why it has such impact. But I'd be shocked if St. Mary's is not invited.

I can't explain the RPI. I have no idea why it has such impact. But I'd be shocked if St. Mary's is not invited.
So will I. I'm not overly impressed with SU's resume, but we're 4-6 vs. the top 50 with an SOS of 42. Played many other highly ranked teams close until the end. Quality losses. And a team that is 0-1 vs. the top 50 is considered superior?

So will I. I'm not overly impressed with SU's resume, but we're 4-6 vs. the top 50 with an SOS of 42. Played many other highly ranked teams close until the end. Quality losses. And a team that is 0-1 vs. the top 50 is considered superior?

I hear ya but 27-5 and 15-3 are likely to get the nod almost regardless of who they played.

I hear ya but 27-5 and 15-3 are likely to get the nod almost regardless of who they played.
I mean, by that rationale Stony Brook, UAB, S.F. Austin, Yale, Chattanooga and Ark.LR would all be locks for at large bids, right?

6 top 100 rpi wins think they squeeze in as of now

I feel like SMC has a better shot than Monmouth and Valpo but who knows

I watched the game last night and I can honestly say St. Mary's blows.

I don't care that SU has lost 12 games. They are better than many of these teams that may get in ahead of them. I'm usually respectful of the mid-majors and very skeptical of my own "eye test" but this year I'm just not impressed.

Without seeing St Mary s resume, I would say maybe they played less really bad teams. Getting rid of the dregs of your schedule can help the rpi.

The mountain west conference did this collectively one year. They all took 2 of their lowest rated div 1 teams off their schedules and played div 2 teams instead. Their Conf rpi was top 3 or 4 that year and all their teams were over seeded. We even benefited a bit as UNLV was our 5 seed that year and cal knocked them out in the first round.

Without seeing St Mary s resume, I would say maybe they played less really bad teams. Getting rid of the dregs of your schedule can help the rpi.

The mountain west conference did this collectively one year. They all took 2 of their lowest rated div 1 teams off their schedules and played div 2 teams instead. Their Conf rpi was top 3 or 4 that year and all their teams were over seeded. We even benefited a bit as UNLV was our 5 seed that year and cal knocked them out in the first round.
If they had won last night they would have 0 Top 50 wins. Thanks to Gonzaga beating them they now have two Top 50 wins as Gonzaga jumped from #60 to #44.

Here's a look at Saint Mary's resume:

Good wins (RPI): @44, 44, 66, 73, 78
Bad losses: @130, 130

A whole lotta meh. To be fair they didn't have many opportunities for big wins. They played one single game against a Top 40 opponent (@Cal - #14).

But as the saying goes "Who did you play and who did you beat?" By that standard Saint Mary's resume couldn't be more lackluster.

If they had won last night they would have 0 Top 50 wins. Thanks to Gonzaga beating them they now have two Top 50 wins as Gonzaga jumped from #60 to #44.

Here's a look at Saint Mary's resume:

Good wins (RPI): @44, 44, 66, 73, 78
Bad losses: @130, 130

A whole lotta meh. To be fair they didn't have many opportunities for big wins. They played one single game against a Top 40 opponent (@Cal - #14).

But as the saying goes "Who did you play and who did you beat?" By that standard Saint Mary's resume couldn't be more lackluster.
They never left the state of California for a ball game until early February. Remember when Dougy G would have his yearly rants on ESPN about SU not leaving NY in the OOC. Supposedly that was a big factor when we got left out back in 07. Would be weak if the committee let them in based off that schedule.

In terms of brackets submitted today St. Mary's is in on 18 of 33 brackets (55%)

They dont deserve to get in, but they probably will over us anyway.

yep.

How many times has a team been left out that went 27-5, 15-3 for 1st place, ranked in the coaches poll coming into tournament week and in the high 30s in the RPI? If we're hanging our hat on St. Mary's being denied then we're in deep doo doo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom