Stanitzek not be be punished further | Syracusefan.com

Stanitzek not be be punished further

The MAC said "Stanitzek has met requirements for punishment and no further penalty is coming".
ridiculous. If the sport wants to save itself it need do more. I guess it would have taken a more severe injury (which only didn't happen by the grace of God) to have this see the light of day because, as usual, it always takes tragedy for reform. Speaking of it's tragic that this douchenoozle gets away with this, both the kid, the team, and the school.

Last edited:
ridiculous. If the sport wants to save itself it need do more. I guess it would have taken a more severe injury to have this see the light of day because, as usual, it always takes tragedy for reform. Speaking of it's tragic that this douchenoozle get away with this, both the kid, the team, and the school.
The MAC is missing an opportunity to show an actual commitment to player safety. With all the recent controversy surrounding concussions and similar phenomena, the NCAA has a similar opportunity but think it will be <Crickets>. SU didn't react as much as I thought they would either, at least publicly.

Someone proposed it earlier this week, but the kid's punishment should be that he sits out until the injured player returns and then tack on a 2 game suspension on top of that.

Punk.

He just followed orders, who ordered the code red?
download.jpg

Someone proposed it earlier this week, but the kid's punishment should be that he sits out until the injured player returns and then tack on a 2 game suspension on top of that.

Punk.
A game for game suspension coinciding with the injured players missed games should absolutely be the penalty for targeting.

I'd be willing to bet that if the hit came against another MAC player, there would be a further penalty.

Well, the UB Bulls with their standout QB Joe Licata visit the Chippy's on 10/17. Let's see what happens. Although, I believe decency requires that New York's other team be warned of how the Chippy defense operates.

not surprised, glad we were able to eke out the win in the end. I don't ever want us to play that team again, seriously someone in the AD office needs to make sure that happens.

The chippies will visit the Carrier Dome again in 2017. It appears that Stanitzek will be a senior. I suspect the O-line will give him a proper welcome.

Surprising given the general atmosphere of protecting players from head trauma injuries and fear of law suits by schools and the NCAA. These kind of hits will stop only when the penalty is severe. When an injured player files a multi-million dollar lawsuit against a school and the NCAA then, and only then, will real action be taken to stop the cheap shot/head hunting. An in game ejection and 15 yards isn't nearly severe enough to be a deterrent. The only language these organizations understand is financial pain.

This basically means that eh MAC will never censure any player for anything - EVER.
Maybe if you pull a knife from your uni AND use it during a game?

I think the MAC will still look the other way if you only pull out the knife but don't actually stab a player with it. No harm, no foul kind of thing.

Surprising given the general atmosphere of protecting players from head trauma injuries and fear of law suits by schools and the NCAA. These kind of hits will stop only when the penalty is severe. When an injured player files a multi-million dollar lawsuit against a school and the NCAA then, and only then, will real action be taken to stop the cheap shot/head hunting. An in game ejection and 15 yards isn't nearly severe enough to be a deterrent. The only language these organizations understand is financial pain.

Agreed. Unfortunately, they have a big hurdle to get over with respect to "assumption of risk". A plaintiff would have to prove intent, which is really damn nigh impossible.

Best thing IMO is loss of eligibility for 12 games.

In all seriousness, as crass as this is, this judgment means that penalty was well worth it for CMU.

They took an impending beat down and made it to OT against us.

They improved their chances of victory significantly and barely have up anything to do so.

ridiculous. If the sport wants to save itself it need do more. I guess it would have taken a more severe injury (which only didn't happen by the grace of God) to have this see the light of day because, as usual, it always takes tragedy for reform. Speaking of it's tragic that this douchenoozle gets away with this, both the kid, the team, and the school.

He's a good kid! He just happens to like running real fast into people head first and seeing if he can break their neck. One flaw, and you guys jump all over him, geez.

Message is clear to the MAC schools. You want to compete with the Power 5, then take out their stars. To quote Mr. Blutarski, "don't cost nothing".

Unfortunately, we're still emerging from the Dark Ages of football head injuries. There is still a popular sentiment on this board, and all over, of "just a concussion". Hell, in some other thread we had a guy comparing playing through a sprained ankle in a big rivalry game to Dungey playing against LSU. Unfortunately, appreciation for the potential lifelong catastrophic consequences of concussions has not trickled all the way down into the rank and file of football fandom, which means there is no groundswell impetus for the conferences and leagues to properly punish illegal behavior that causes concussions.

Looking to the original link, I'd be curious (and likely aghast) at what, exactly, the "requirements for punishment" that would warrant supplemental discipline in the eyes of the MAC. Forget vigilante justice - players will stop targeting and trying to knock players out of the game with concussions once the adults in charge decide it is unacceptable and make discipline severe enough to discourage such behavior.

The LSU linebacker who got called for targeting has to sit out the first half of our game. I thought his hit wasn't as bad as the one on Dungey.
I think the rule is that you have to sit out the rest of the half where the penalty was called, and then an additional half. Since the hit on Dungey was in the first half, the CMU player sat the rest of the first half and then the second half. I'm assuming the call against the LSU linebacker was made in the second half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom