State-of-the-Art LED Boards to Enhance Orange Fan Experience | Syracusefan.com

State-of-the-Art LED Boards to Enhance Orange Fan Experience

TheSpaz

2nd String
The Carrier Dome, being prepped for its 33rd season of SU athletics, isn’t just getting older – it’s getting better. The next visit to the largest on-campus domed stadium in the country will be unlike any other Orange fans have enjoyed. The installation of 360-degree ribbon display and multiple LED video boards will transform the fan experience.

http://www.suathletics.com/news/2012/6/6/FB_0606121453.aspx

Nice updates to the Dome.
Now is it my imagination or was the write-up on suathletics better than usual?

Good stuff. 21x40 seems huge. Calibrate me, what size is the one at the Bills stadium?

Good stuff. 21x40 seems huge. Calibrate me, what size is the one at the Bills stadium?
7 yds x 13 yds - probably doesn't seem that huge from another side of the stadium - not bad though

The Carrier Dome, being prepped for its 33rd season of SU athletics, isn’t just getting older – it’s getting better. The next visit to the largest on-campus domed stadium in the country will be unlike any other Orange fans have enjoyed. The installation of 360-degree ribbon display and multiple LED video boards will transform the fan experience.

As best I can determine, the 2 existing video scoreboards were 15' x '25. They are being replaced by scoreboards that are going to be about 9' x '10. The resolution will be much improved with 20 mm pixel spacing, but the actual size of the boards is going to be considerably smaller. Good and bad news on that front.

They are replacing the one endzone scoreboard with endzone scoreboards on both ends of the Dome. Big plus there. The size of the scoreboard we have been using was 13' x 46'. The new endzone scoreboards will be roughly 21' x 40', but the two smaller boards on the sides will give them a total of 60 feet of width (the side boards are each about 12' x 10'). These boards all also feature 20 mm pixel spacing, can show color, video, etc. Big upgrade over the crude graphics the old endzone scoreboard could do.

I believe all these scoreboards, as well as the new ribbon scoreboards, are capable of displaying HD format video.

For comparison purposes,

The Bills have a Mitsubishi HS LED video board that is 33.5' x 82.8.

RU has only one scoreboard, but it is 114 feet across and 38 feet high. The portion that shows HD is 68 feet across

The Rent at UConn has only one video board, a Daktronics that is 24' x 32'.

BC has 2 Daktronics high resolution scoreboards that are 9' x 17'.

Good news overall. I wish the new video scoreboards were at least as big as the ones being replaced.

As best I can determine, the 2 existing video scoreboards were 15' x '25. They are being replaced by scoreboards that are going to be about 9' x '10. The resolution will be much improved with 20 mm pixel spacing, but the actual size of the boards is going to be considerably smaller. Good and bad news on that front.

They are replacing the one endzone scoreboard with endzone scoreboards on both ends of the Dome. Big plus there. The size of the scoreboard we have been using was 13' x 46'. The new endzone scoreboards will be roughly 21' x 40', but the two smaller boards on the sides will give them a total of 60 feet of width to work with (the side boards are each about 12' x 10'). These boards all also feature 20 mm pixel spacing, can show color video, etc. Big upgrade over the crude graphics the old endzone scoreboard could do.

I believe all these scoreboards, as well as the new ribbon scoreboards, are capable of displaying HD format video.

Good news overall. I wish the new video scoreboards were at least as big as the ones being replaced.

The big question is will these new video displays show replays of controversial calls since the old ones weren't capable.

The Dome: Syracuse University's Football & Basketball HOME for the next 33 years too.

The big question is will these new video displays show replays of controversial calls since the old ones weren't capable.

Funny story, I know of at least two northeast schools that have a staffer on the sideline that waves a towel over his head whenever the Head Coach wanted to see a replay before using his challenge. There was someone in the booth that was assigned to watch the staffer all game. Crazy.

Somebody up there is listening.

Anyone have some pictures that resemble what we will be getting in a few months?

I love how even the artist renderings are filled with adds. Oh Syracuse, don't ever change.

But seriously can't wait to get up to the Dome to see these awesome improvements.

I wonder if they'll only utilize one side during bball games?

I love how even the artist renderings are filled with adds. Oh Syracuse, don't ever change.

But seriously can't wait to get up to the Dome to see these awesome improvements.

I know its fun to knock alot of the advertising, but in this case its because Pepsi is picking up a huge part of the cost of this project. Should see a bigger Pepsi presence advertising wise in the dome going forward.

I'm just happy it's finally getting done, been talked about for to long.

I have said all along the school should have looked into digital projector equipment that would have allowed them to throw bigger pictures up for a much lower cost and covered a much greater area of the dome until the school could afford the bigger boards. digital 1080p projectors that can throw 50ft images are pretty cheap.

I have said all along the school should have looked into digital projector equipment that would have allowed them to throw bigger pictures up for a much lower cost and covered a much greater area of the dome until the school could afford the bigger boards. digital 1080p projectors that can throw 50ft images are pretty cheap.
Those would look horrible since you can't control lighting in the Dome during the day.

This will finally put the Dome into the 21st century. The big scoreboard is great, but I really like ribbon boards. Does anyone know if the ribbon is just basketball side or all the way around?

This will finally put the Dome into the 21st century. The big scoreboard is great, but I really like ribbon boards. Does anyone know if the ribbon is just basketball side or all the way around?

I would assume all the way around. It would look pretty stupid during football games if it stopped half way.

SU claims 360-degrees, which to me means all the way around the dome. Should be interesting if used properly.

they seem to work pretty well in the movie industry and at colleges, in talks with the various vendors they didn't think it would have been difficult at all.. you could have provided 5-10 screens so the viewing distance would have been much shorter. the back walls of the dome are not that bright to begin with and the lumens could have easily handled the projection with the throws only being 10-15ft.

i can watch movies outside during the day on a 20ft projection at my house with a projector that is 20 years old and less than 10% as powerful as the stuff you can get these days at a fraction of the cost.

the new stuff is great, but you could have easily beat what we had the last few years at a tenth of the cost for the two screens we are replacing.

I'm very happy that they are continually improving the dome. Next, please find a way to widen the concourses and increase our legroom at our seats. On average, Central New York a$ses are far too large for the journey from the end of the row to their seats.

I'm very happy that they are continually improving the dome. Next, please find a way to widen the concourses and increase our legroom at our seats. On average, Central New York a$ses are far too large for the journey from the end of the row to their seats.

Like the shorts in my closet, the seats at the Dome seem to shrink every year. Must be the air in CNY.

The way Daktronics structures some of these deals with colleges is to pay for the cost of the scoreboards themselves. In return, Daktronics gets to sell and keep all the advertisinig revenue for the next roughly 10 years. So in effect, Daktronics finances the installation which is a win win. Not sure if that is how SU structured their deal or not. Can't wait to see it.

Perhaps instead of widening the concourse, we can find a way to slim down the CNYers.