Statement from Red | Syracusefan.com

Statement from Red

It would be interesting to see if the collectives were satisfied with
the results of their financial contributions to the team in general,
and specific players in particular. This 3 party arrangement between
collectives, players, and the school can get strained over time if
the results on the court (field) aren't there. Support might not be so "unwavering"
if there isn't a significant up turn with the results.

Would have been better to have included some mention of declining the NIT (if in fact they did decline it) or not having any post season. Leaves more questions to not mention it at all. This is getting weirder. The silence is getting louder.

Would have been better to have included some mention of declining the NIT (if in fact they did decline it) or not having any post season. Leaves more questions to not mention it at all. This is getting weirder. The silence is getting louder.

The whole obsession with the NIT is reaching absurd levels. No one cares it’s portal season time to get this thing going again with a much more talented roster.

It was announced earlier today:

Syracuse men's basketball has released a statement regarding the Orange not being included in the NIT field, stating it opted out prior to the field being selected. This statement was provided to All Syracuse from an SU Athletics spokesperson.

"We respect the NIT but our only postseason goal was to play in the NCAA Tournament. Therefore, we communicated to the ACC we would not participate in the NIT."

Red and Peter had no control of the release time of the NIT statement on Sunday evening.
Not to beat a horse that's already dead but that is what some fans concerns are. Pete is the Director of Athletic Communication. He generally does a great job, but this wasn't a shining moment for Syracuse.

Not to beat a horse that's already dead but that is what some fans concerns are. Pete is the Director of Athletic Communication. He generally does a great job, but this wasn't a shining moment for Syracuse.

Like BO said, maybe SU didn't want to overshadow FLJ's moment.

Women's selection show was 8-9 PM last night.

When is the appropriate time to release the "NIT Rejection" statement?

7:30?

9:00?

11:30?

it didn't need to be public, heck communicate it to ESPN, and put it up on the screen as Teams of note that declined participating in the NIT. Done.

I'll clarify: it didn't need to be done in a press release type of announcement... to one up the women's team.

Red and Peter had no control of the release time of the NIT statement on Sunday evening.
As I said in another thread, it started after the NC State loss when Red said you have to take any chance you get to play in the postseason. He didn't have to say that, but because he did it created the expectation that SU would accept an NIT bid, whether that was his intention or not.

I'd argue that if anything, waiting as long as they did overshadowed FLJ's moment. Not every WBB fan cares about MBB, but it's safe to assume a sizable chunk do, so putting the MBB questions to bed at the earliest possible opportunity would have allowed everyone to focus more of their attention on WBB, which is what FLJ and her team deserve.

Last edited:

when the reporter who writes stories for the only local newspaper sends a question along prior to publishing his story... Just my guess.

Regardless, how does that overshadow FLJ's moment? Clearly no one cared about the mens team denying an NIT bid (as has been said numerous times) so why should they care about sending the local reporter a note saying they declined the bid. A nothing story became another example of communication incompetence.

I've got no issue with this. I'm sure Red wanted to compete in NIT but challenges might have factored in. I bet he's not satisfied w 20 wins and maybe regrets the JB 2 year plan and not starting the house clean/rebuild last year.

9:30 on March 13th would have been fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom