Statue of quitters? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Statue of quitters?

I was just told that DG is adamant about this. I saw on another thread there was discussion about the local paper, this would be something for them to ask about...no?
By who? Your buddy's mother who is the janitor in the football complex?

This is what they are looking to build a statue for? Really? Couldn't they have found a more divisive issue to celebrate? Maybe they could build a statue of Tommy Kane next... I'm sure that'd piss off more than a few people.

I want to see this statue.

GregRobinsonCoachesHotSeat.jpg

there are dumb ideas then there are epically dumb ideas guess which one this is. Why risk bringing up a divisive issue.
I assume you mean a dumb idea invented by the poster.

I always wondered how the term "mass-hole" came about. Now I know.

How dumb. Most of the fanbase(including me) doesn't give a crap. Stop trying to be "deep" Daryl. You're a friggin Athletic Director and this is football.

I'm not a big fan of statues in the first place, but if they are determined to do so, how about doing it for someone who was actually important to the football program?

Let me get this straight: a bunch of guys walked out on the team because the coach promised to hire a black assistant coach and he didnt keep his word, and they get a statue for it?

I cant fully understand because it was a different time, but to me this whole story isnt even that big of a deal. If they left the team to stand up for what they believe in, thats fine, because I dont know all the facts of the story on who was right, and those athletes may very well have been right. But build a statue for it? Just doesnt make any sense. I thought SU went off the PC deep end changing the name from Orangemen to Orange, these statues would take it to a whole other level. The ultra-PC nature of some schools, particularly in the northeast can be nauseating.

Let me get this straight: a bunch of guys walked out on the team because the coach promised to hire a black assistant coach and he didnt keep his word, and they get a statue for it?

I cant fully understand because it was a different time, but to me this whole story isnt even that big of a deal. If they left the team to stand up for what they believe in, thats fine, because I dont know all the facts of the story on who was right, and those athletes may very well have been right. But build a statue for it? Just doesnt make any sense. I thought SU went off the PC deep end changing the name from Orangemen to Orange, these statues would take it to a whole other level. The ultra-PC nature of some schools, particularly in the northeast can be nauseating.

For me, I put much more value in building a statue for the guy that transcended racism, was the ultimate teammate, brought people together, was extremely successful and a great citizen for the program. I can't see justification for a statue for this.

For me, I put much more value in building a statue for the guy that transcended racism, was the ultimate teammate, brought people together, was extremely successful and a great citizen for the program. I can't see justification for a statue for this.
Yep, Jim Brown deserves such a statue. :D

I was just told that DG is adamant about this. I saw on another thread there was discussion about the local paper, this would be something for them to ask about...no?

I don't believe you.

This has been brought up as a possibility for the front of the facility.
As you can see from the thread date, I was told about it back in August.
TGD has this as a top choice.

Scooch + OrangeinBoston
Believe me now?

Funny that when Ben said that, the people who agreed with him (Nixon/Agnew) came a lot closer to destroying our country than the communist, flag burning, draft dodgers.

Enough politics..this crap should be in the off topic thread.
Now this is liberalism/progressivism 101. I'll make my point, I'm right, now . Ok I will. I am only on here for SU sports anyways dude/dudette.

This has been brought up as a possibility for the front of the facility.
As you can see from the thread date, I was told about it back in August.
TGD has this as a top choice.

Scooch + OrangeinBoston
Believe me now?
I think they were looking for something to back up your claim like a link to an article perhaps.

I seriously doubt that there will be a statue of this group in from of the new IPF. It doesnt have much support

Can't. Be. True. Sorry, unless I hear come out of DG's mouth I'm going to choose to believe he has bigger fish to fry than this when it comes to fund raising.

At the time I was upset with the protest but now I understand their point of view. Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little and others put up with incredible racism in their day. Growing up in CNY, I didn't know it was happenning. Racism was not as much in your face in CNY as it was in the South but it was there in more subtle forms. I was one of 4 white kids on a HS BB team of 12. Things seemed OK to me but I went home to a different part of town than the black kids. Racism is just a fact of our national history.

The statues would not be so much a tribute to the individuals involved, The statues memorialize our rising above that period in our history and if it gives our black community a nod of respect then I am for it. The Woolworth Lunch Counter in Greensboro is now a museum and historical landmark - the world did not end. Nobody remembers the individuals just the event.

The statues would not be an insult to anybody just a tribute to courage. I am for that in all things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom