Stephon Marbury | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Stephon Marbury

8-10 years ago, a buddy of mine from work who played P5 football and counts many pro athletes as friends told me he met KA at a party. My buddy is from Ohio, lives in NYC now, and asked KA how a kid from Queens wound up at Ga. Tech.

According to my friend, KA looked him in the eye and said he came home from HS one day to learn he was going to Atlanta because of 300k.

I’ll believe it.

That’s normal for most freshmen, right?

This is actually pretty interesting. First, I'll offer that at Syracuse, it's not uncommon to see students driving around in luxury brand cars.

Second, athletic scholarships do cover transportation costs. I had a friend who was a non-scholarship track athlete at Miami during "The U's" second coming in the late 90's early aughts. Many of the football players drove expensive cars, which he was told was based on the transportation component of their scholarship. That could just be BS he was peddled.

Having said that, I have no idea how either of those two things might have been applicable to Kenny Anderson.

This is actually pretty interesting. First, I'll offer that at Syracuse, it's not uncommon to see students driving around in luxury brand cars.

Second, athletic scholarships do cover transportation costs. I had a friend who was a non-scholarship track athlete at Miami during "The U's" second coming in the late 90's early aughts. Many of the football players drove expensive cars, which he was told was based on the transportation component of their scholarship. That could just be BS he was peddled.

Having said that, I have no idea how either of those two things might have been applicable to Kenny Anderson.

The transportation component of full cost of attendance is based on transportation to and from school from home. Not having a ride around campus all year.

I, of course, believe this is hogwash like everyone else.

I *love* that in this version of the story that JB tells Marbury that he won’t start. Love it. Marbury should have added that JB said we were also going to run four corners offense.

Remember, Marbury is promoting a documentary with this media tour. He’s prob going to tell stories that keep him in a good light.

Also, if you listen to the whole interview, it’s kind of all over the place. Not sure how Marbury is doing these days.

Not sure how Marbury is doing these days.

Selling sneakers out of the back of a van?

000_0782.JPG

How many SU students from Archbishop Molly who grew up with a single mom and two sisters had luxury cars.
Can’t have those poor kids that put all the butts in the seats getting anything! This is an outrage!

Can’t have those poor kids that put all the butts in the seats getting anything! This is an outrage!
That wasn't the point. It was clear he got paid to go to Tech. I met a guy in the NYS banking dept who hung out with him in ATL when they were both at school. I reiterated what was told to me about Kenny's rides at school.
The poster to who I responded did not think it was unusual for college kids to have luxury cars. After all, it's a common occurrence at SU. My (perhaps snarky) reply was meant to point out the illogical assumption that someone from Anderson's circumstances would have that luxury.
I am the biggest NIL, pay the players guy, you will find. Heck, I think the US colleges should get out of big time athletics and pro teams should go the developmental club route.

Last edited:
That wasn't the point. It was clear he got paid to go to Tech. I met a guy in the NYS banking dept who hung out with him in ATL when they were both at school. I reiterated what was told to me about Kenny's rides at school.
The poster to who lm I responded did not think it was unusual for college kids to have luxury cars. After all, it's a common occurrence at SU. My (perhaps snarky) reply was meant to point out the illogical assumption that someone from Anderson's circumstances would have that luxury.
I am the biggest NIL, pay the players guy you will find. The kids have been getting shafted a long time.
I replied to you, but I wasn’t saying that was your attitude - was just building off your comment to make that general point.

Historically how many SU players were spotted with nice cars on campus? Has that ever been observed?

Historically how many SU players were spotted with nice cars on campus? Has that ever been observed?

I know I saw many football players with my own eyes with ridiculous cars in my day. Don’t recall any basketball players but they kind of kept to themselves on south from what I remember. I also heard second hand from an athletes mouth than they got deals with local dealers.

I know I saw many football players with my own eyes with ridiculous cars in my day. Don’t recall any basketball players but they kind of kept to themselves on south from what I remember. I also heard second hand from an athletes mouth than they got deals with local dealers.
Was that in the 80’s?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom